Wednesday, April 2, 2014

From Chicago to Paris. . .

       
The forsythia is in full bloom -- spring is here!
          What a difference a day makes. I'm home now and after my usual 24 hour hibernation, I'm ready to get back to my normal writing routine. (I literally sleep an entire day when traveling in this direction.)

           My-Reason-For-Living-In-France said two months is too long for me to be away and Charlotte wagged her tail and offered a cursory kiss.

Cherry blossoms
          Our garden has burst into spring. All the fruit trees are covered with promising blossoms. Assuming the weather will continue to be in printemps mode, the beautiful cherry tree outside our bedroom window should -- the birds willing -- produce a nice crop this year. Those two variables have not always worked out in our favor. A gardener we know says the only way to keep the birds away from fruit trees is to hang smelly herring bits from the branches. Another one suggested shiny CDs dangling among the blossoms which give off frightening reflections. If you have any foolproof ideas, I would love to hear them.

          I hate the idea of nets because they can trap a bird inside and I don't want to be responsible for murder.

          Now I'm off to find flowers for the empty planters on either side of the front door. I'm thinking yellow.

          Oh yes, I almost forgot. You may recall (click here if not) on my last trip to Chicago Air France asked for my Carte de Resisdence, which of course I didn't have with me. When I returned home I realized that it had expired and there was not enough time to get the new one before I returned to Chicago in February. Therefore I decided to fly American Airlines in the hope that no one would ask to see the card. No one did. 

18 comments:

Marsha Splenderosa said...

I can only imagine how happy hubby is to have you back at home. And, Charlotte too. You had a splendid trip to the US, a very successful one as well. So all is good. I did get your long email, Tish, but I have been sick in bed for 8 days, couldn't speak one work, and couldn't stay awake long enough to function. For the 1st time I was kinda afraid. But, I'm on the mend now. Spring has burst forth here too. Overnight it seems. much love, my friend...

ELS said...

Two MONTHS?? Your RFLIF must be cock-a-hoop.

Leave the planters empty; a few more days won't matter. Just lie and watch the blossom against the sky and revel in the unbeatable joy of coming home.

xx

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Not so sure I could be away from Edward for two whole months! You must spend a lot of time with dear Charlotte now! Welcome home!!
xo

Cornelia said...

I had been wondering about whether or not you might have problems with re-entry. Glad it all worked out. Me, I would have been so worried, 'they' could have guessed something was amiss. I'm such a wimp.

Karena Albert said...

Tish I did not realize you had been gone 2 months!

Hmm herring bits and shiny CD's.... very interesting!

xoxo
Karena
2014 Artists Series

sisty said...

It's nice to be missed, isn't it? Glad you're back home.

une femme said...

So happy to hear you made it home safely and (seemingly) sans hassles! I hope the beautiful weather and blooms hold until we get there later this month!

peggybraswell said...

glad you are back home! I know your hubby is also. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

Julia said...

Ha estado un regalo el visitar tu bloc, te invito a visitar el mío y espero que disfrutes del post de esta semana, la fiesta nipona del Hanami, si te gusta espero que sí no eres seguidora te hagas ahora y si lo eres no dejes de visitarme la semana siguiente. Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

The enchanted home said...

Welcome home from your whirlwind tour......nothing like getting home then when you are lucky enough to call France in bloom home, that is really the ultimate!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Bonjour Tish! It's been a long time since I've come by to see you, and I see you are on the move! I bet your part of the world is just splendid now; we are having more snow here, but soon le printemps arrivera. Let us pray....

BONNE JOURNÉE! Anita

NotesFromAbroad said...

I guess now that the last of the mountains of snow in my garden are gone, something will bloom out there .. I look forward to seeing some color .. this is the first Spring in this house so it will all be a surprise to me :)
besitos. C

Anonymous said...

I think for the cherries you could use plain brown paper bags to bag the ones you want to keep once they start getting color - this is what we're doing with grapes (easier to get to then the cherries of course).

Duchesse said...

Whew, glad you skipped through! Isn't amazing how one "official" can be a stickler and another not? Two months away is a long time for everyone, but the joy of returning is so intense... everyone is thrilled to have you back.

Tish Jett said...

It's so nice to have you back!

D. A. Wolf said...

Quelle chance! (And lovely that you're back...)

xo

helen tilston said...

Welcome home Tish

I hope Charlotte is no longer giving you the cold shoulder. I am sure all are happy to have you home and taking good care of them.

Hope your trip to CHI was a huge success.

Helen xx

Jennifer-The Adventuresome Kitchen said...

We hang the shiny CD's in our peach trees and have had good success. I had a neighbor who did the same thing with a cut up aluminum pie plate too..

I have a hard time reaching the top most branches of our tree, so I'm also comfortable sharing the top bits with the birds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...