Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Creativity Conundrum

       
         Welcome to the first Tuesday of the month when the international members of our By Invitation Only (BIO) take on our "assignments." We decide the subject and each of us addresses it from our experiences and sensibilities. This time out we are charged with this challenge: "How do you stay creative?"

          To see what other members have to say on the subject, please click here.


           For me, true creativity is a form of magic. It is the inexplicable (and rare) ability to seemingly make something out of almost nothing -- words, paint, metal, stone, earth -- by some alchemy that transforms those disparate elements into art and ideas that touch our emotions, imagination and sometimes unite the common human spirit.

           How do those with the magical gift of creativity pull off their dazzling feats? I have no idea.

           Basically I am a journalist. I observe, report and interview and if I'm lucky, by assembling the three ingredients of my craft I can sometimes turn out something stylish at best. Is that creativity? I don't think so. It's a skill set. I seriously doubt, except maybe when I talked about my beloved dog and my most recent entry into grandmother-hood, that I've touched upon some universal theme that resonates with someone reading what I write. Try as I might, I am incapable of assembling words into fiction to construct believable characters, situations, common experiences. That would be creativity.

You see what I mean? It's complicated.
           Please don't misunderstand me. I do see another strata of charming creativity in the every day, the way one arranges flowers; the decoration of a home; fine cuisine; clever, sparkling writing; even the way some women dress. These are the types of creativity that make the quotidian interesting and even inspiring.

           Then there are the other types of creativity: science, invention, innovation. Think computers, the Internet, advances in medicine, and on and on.

           As you can see the subject confounds me, but isn't it fascinating?

               

         

12 comments:

Karena Albert said...

It is a fascinating subject Tish. I am constantly inspired by the creativity in the every day!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Lily Seymour said...

This is certainly creative, I would love to become a member, i'm an over 50 beauty and lifestyle blogger at http://www.lilyseymour.com

LPC said...

Tish. I feel exactly as you do. But I think probably we need to give ourselves credit for creativity in implementation, in communication, if not in full-on generation. I've been surprised by how emotional I feel considering the question.

The enchanted home said...

Tish, well put but do not underestimate your IMMENSE creative talents, your book is proof of that...just bought it for my mom:)

Be well....

Heather Robinson said...

Voila, Tina beat me to it. "...to create meaningful new ideas..." Tish, you are the definition of creativity!
xo
Heather

Chicatanyage said...

I think that creativity is taking an idea and making it tangible. Making the ethereal manifest.

Lenka Walldroff said...

It's always such a treat to read your posts. There are few contemporary writers who I read solely for their style more so than their subject matter- on that front your pieces are especially wonderful because I enjoy both(and your book, by the way, was lovely!)My point is that you could write about the mating habits of a dung beetle and I would probably be just as enthralled! Brava.

Tish Jett said...

Awwww, thank you so, so much. As Lisa said, this subject was rather emotional which surprised me.

D. A. Wolf said...

Like the others, I think you underestimate your creative talents. I find you immensely creative and always, always a pleasure to read.

xo

That's Not My Age said...

I think your writing is very creative, Tish. Yes being a journalist requires different skills to being an author (like you, I could never write fiction) but it still requires a talented, creative mind.

Marsha Splenderosa said...

Your writing is brilliant, witty and current. I think these are the most important elements for a journalist to possess. And I, on the other hand, can make up fabulous grandiosities of a global scale to entertain and delight. Not a journalist in the least, but a good dinner party partner, non?
You are totally amazingly creative in the perfect Tish Jett way.

Lifang said...

Love both the title and its contents. Writing is a creative process per se don't you think? Great post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...