Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Packing and Panicking

       

My sparkly, shiny new suitcase from Lipault.  You will note that is is clearly navy blue, nest-ce pas?

          It has been five years since I've been back to the United States. It seems impossible.

          And now I go back to meet a granddaughter and promote a book. Who would have thought?

          My-Reason-For-Living-In-France keeps walking by as I try to figure out what to put in -- and then take out of -- my shiny new suitcase. Every time he looks in on me he says, "Please, please don't put another piece of black clothing in there." Then I explain that I am packing a lot of navy blue, to which he replies: "Your idea of navy blue is only a slightly lighter shade of black."

         After that, because he is trying to intimidate me, he goes on and on about white and light colors near the face "because they make you look younger." I consider that to be a remark that is beneath him. I have pearls and other bijoux for light reflection I point out.


         My gorgeous, and I might add clearly navy blue, suitcase is made by a small French company, Lipault. Originally, MRFLIF thought it was too showy, shiny, but he has now come around to my way of thinking. The line, which comes in both soft and hard versions, features bright, exciting colors. But, as you know, I'm not into bright, exciting colors except maybe for shoes, scarves and bags. However, I think the yellow, orange, turquoise, red and violet pieces are wonderful.



        Have spent the last two days in Paris shopping, which included T-shirts from Uniqlo, a new watchband for my ancient Cartier (in navy blue!), more Eucerin day and night hyaluron filler creams -- what a drama if I ran out -- French magazines for the plane, and a scoop-neck Bompard sweater in, are you ready for this (?), navy blue.

My new Clarins mascara that promises longer lashes and promotes lash growth.  Ah-ha. . .
        Yesterday I had tea with the international public relations director of Clarins who has become a friend. Every time we meet she brings me a little bag of surprises. My latest swag included three new products (I'll tell you more about them next week): a lash-lengthening mascara; a super light foundation and a pretty compact with six eye-shadow nuances on a brown/beige theme.




          Oh, yes, I also fulfilled two direct requests from Andrea, above. See how she listens to her mother?

          I'm off early tomorrow morning and will be back here in a flash.
   

19 comments:

Sheree said...

A Cartier tank watch? I love those. Is the sweater cashmere? If so I think I would wear it until the elbows thinned. Alas, this is what happened to my hot pink cashmere sweater. :( Then I found a little hole in the armpit. Well, I got my money's worth, that's for certain. Now I have burgandy, black and (yes) navy to get me through the winter.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Safe travels, Tish! Enjoy every moment with your grandchild and your book tour...two incredible events whether you wear black, blue, or purple!! Savor the moments!

Marsha Splenderosa said...

I am certain I would find a "uniform" for the book signings and wear it all the time. This is going to be the best time of your life!!!

Karena Albert said...

Oh so exciting Tish! I know you will look fabulously French and sell lots of books!

xoxo
Karena
2013 Artists Series!

Marilyn Leslie said...

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Congratulations on the book
and the granddaughter!

Lorrie said...

What delights await you in the USA! Enjoy those sweet cuddles with your granddaughter - a dream come true.

I love that Vichy 3 in 1 cleanser and I'm so happy that I can buy it here in Canada. I found out about it via your blog, and I thank you!

I'm off to pre-order your book. Safe and happy travels to you, Tish.

Heather Robinson said...

Sending you lots of excellent travel vibes for this very, very, very exciting trip!!! I am so thrilled for you Tish...you deserve monumental success!

Une femme said...

Safe travels! You must be SO excited about meeting your grand-daughter!! The luggage is spiffy.

Anonymous said...

Bon voyage, Tish! Will you be coming to Washington DC or NYC?

Villette said...

Pile on those pearls -- just heaps -- over the navy cashmere, Tish. You will look fabulous and everyone will buy the book to learn how you do it! Greatest luck with the tour.

jaymalea said...

Is a listing posted of the itinery for book signings? Are you coming to the Portland, Oregon area?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Don't forget to pack a scarf for the plane...something cozy in case you are seated by the air vent.
Best of luck to you on your book tour and have a delightful time with your grand child and daughter!
Must go and order your book now...

jaymalea said...

Hey! Your book is already at my local library. Can't wait to read it, but hoping for my own signed copy.

D. A. Wolf said...

Have a super fabulous trip! (All that navy sounds perfect!)

xo

LPC said...

SO INCREDIBLY EXCITING.

The caps were intentional:).

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish

Wishing you success beyond your wildest dreams as you stroll the red carpet with your navy cashmere. This is just the beginning.
And we will all be joyful when we say
"and we knew her when"

Helen xx

Kristien62 said...

A new granddaughter, a book tour and a visit to the States- your cup is very full. I wish you the best on all three. And the travel wardrobe that Janice developed is stunning, the saturated blue a lovely combination with black.

I wish I could get the Eucerin Hyaluron Filler here in New York. I passed up the opportunity to buy it in Galway last year, thinking I could pick it up at the end of the tour in Dublin. The opportunity never presented itself.

Anonymous said...


Are "you" there yet???

Emm said...

Your nifty new luggage inspired me to look at the company's website, but alas they seem to offer only the soft-sided kind in the US. :-(
Have a wonderful trip, sell lots of books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...