Sunday, March 3, 2013

A French Country Weekend

This is what kind of a day it is -- sparkling sunlight, crisp temperatures, bliss.      
          Please do not think that I'm starting a weekend theme about the great beyond. (You may recall last Sunday I told you what the priest said at the funeral of a friend.)

          This is pure coincidence: a close friend and I just wound down another of our marathon conversations wherein we wandered over to "the other side" if you will. Since it was one of those "light, bright, you're so right" sort of exchanges I thought I would share a cogent comment with you.

          We were talking about fame. (Don't worry, I'm getting to the point. . .) She is a rather well-known writer, also living in France, and she remarked that a photographer told her recently that if she applied herself she could be "famous".

          She said to me, "can you imagine anything worse than being famous?" Well, actually, yes, I can, but it seemed like the conversation was going someplace and I didn't want to interrupt her rhythm so, of course, I said "no, what could be worse than being famous?"

          As we wore out that theme, she finally said to me, "do you know what I want on my tombstone?" Since we were in unchartered territory, I said, "No, cherie, I don't. Up to now you have not shared that desire with me."

         "Well," she said, "I want it to say in large letters: 'SHE HAD A GOOD TIME!'"

         Now, I ask you, isn't that wonderful?

14 comments:

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish

Thank you for sharing this intimate conversation with your friend. I love this epitaph. I shall be pondering this one but can I fill in with this temporary one: "She made a difference".

Blessings on you both

Helen xx

Déjà Pseu said...

That's a great philosophy, and a fabulous way to be remembered!

Living in Celebrity Central, I've also decided that Being Famous would not be my thing. Though I wouldn't mind some of the perqs that came along with it, like always getting the good tables in restaurants or the high-end swag. ;-)

Katherine said...

I don't want a 'stone', but I always remember my Dad telling me a story about a stone he saw that read 'I told you I was sick'. How crazy and fun. So I think if I was going to have a stone it would have to be something like that to make people laugh when they stopped by.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sounds like you're almost famous friend is very content.
That is much more important in my humble opinion than being famous. Seriously though a published author has a following of avid readers. That sounds a bit like fame to me.
You might, let's make that will, discover this yourself when your new book hits the shelf!



Joni said...

I agree with your friend -- I wouldn't want to be famous either. I don't think I could stand it. I'm happy with my relative anonymity.

ParisGrrl said...

I believe fame is overrated, especially in these times. I'm working on infamy--much more fun!

Maureen said...

Oh Yes! I am working on doing just that. Back to learning French with lessons each week and a week in Lille Homestay booked. Learning the clarinet and having fun with friends.

However we do it, having a good time is important.

Heather Lindstrom said...

I simply love that comment. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! xx, Heather

Amelia said...

Some don't seek fame but are heaped upon them by a grateful world for their great works on behalf of humanity...Mother Teresa, etc.... Tish, your friend knows what she values and being famous isn't one of them. Being happy and contented with the life you live, isn't that more worthwhile than being mobbed everywhere you go....hmmmmmm....:)

Splenderosa said...

Isn't this wonderful !!
Such a good conversation with a girlfriend. I love good conversation, it's almost an art form, I think.
Me? I want my ashes cast in Sorrento. Then I will know I'm in heaven. See you Tuesday for BIO?

vicki archer said...

Yes! And I would add... "She was great fun"... xv

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

Hey Tish

I think you should write a post inviting your readers to send their tombstone ideas ... how about

she gave her best
she had fun
she died happy

speak soon

xxx

Pam said...

i just had this conversation with my children. i can't imagine wanting to be famous. of course i can think of worse things in life..but being famous is up there. think of the pressure!! and i LOVE and want to copy your friends' words for her final goodbye to this world..(tombstone is such a horrible word non?) :)

Rayna St. Pierre said...

Katherine's comment above made me laugh! Having fun, making a difference, cultivating a sense of humor - all important!

I've seen on television how close those paparazzi are allowed to get to people as they're doing such mundane things as putting their children in the car. It's really invasive and horrible - not something anyone deserves no matter how famous! The tradeoff - privacy for fame - doesn't seem worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...