Monday, February 4, 2013

News & Views, This & That

The divine Big Bird is now a muse for shoes (see below).
          Just back from Paris, which means I'm running late again. I do apologize. To make up for the  hour, I've collected a few news bulletins for you.

Black Is The New Black
Note, the editors chose to say BLACK  and not NOIR.
         Or, Black Is Back, which is even sillier since black is always the go-to "color" when in doubt. I mention this only because this past weekend's Madame Figaro magazine was devoted almost entirely to the idea. From clothes to makeup with real life femmes and fairy tail fantasy icons. (Think Audrey Hepburn and The Wicked Witch in Snow White, and, in passing, a super shiny Cat Woman body suit.)

         It seems to me the editors must have been out of ideas, but that's the pervasive challenge of fashion magazines, especially weeklies, "let's find a theme" oh, never mind, "let's invent one."

Big Bird Inspires. . .
Duck yellow mink shoes for spring from Celine.
         If you haven't already seen these funny mink shoes by Phoebe Philo for Celine they were supposedly designed as a homage to Sesame Street's Big Bird. This must have cheered him up enormously after Mitt Romney suggested during the American presidential campaign that if elected, chances are BB would have to be toast.

         And, the joke is on whom?

Lanvin for Lancôme
Alber Elbaz's illustration of Alber Elbaz.
         Alber Elbaz, the quirky-brilliant designer for Lanvin has signed a contract with Lancôme for a makeup collection to debut mid-June.

         According to the French press, details are top secret. I think we can be patient, don't you?

Colette Says, "Wear These"
Been there, done that and never going back?
          In Paris, there is really only one way to know if a fashion trend "has legs" -- it's when it appears in the painfully trendy boutique, Colette.

         Apparently the huge "patte d'elephant" jeans by Seafarer and adored by Jane Birkin, Brigitte Bardot and Ursula Andress in the 60s are In Again.

        The only way that could be possible is that women and girls who were not born then would even dream of wearing them. (My opinion. Although theoretically the larger the bottoms of pants, the smaller the hips appear. Tough call . . .)

A Friend Indeed

         If you click here:  http://www.facebook.com/MyDailyPlateOfCrazy I think you will like my pal D.A. Wolf as much as I do. She is a kind and generous friend and, without exaggeration, a stunningly talented writer. Her style and subjects are provocative and brilliant.

        Please "Like" her as much as I do.

11 comments:

Lost in Provence said...

There is really very little in the world that would convince me to get back on Facebook. But I am not saying no to you and certainly will not snub the amazing D.A. Wolf, who is as support of others as she is utterly brilliant herself.

PS. part of the size 44 me is just delighted to see anything, anything other than skinny jeans after soooo many years.

ParisGrrl said...

All I can find in most of the stores here are skinny cut, which are lovely on stick-figures but ghastly on my frame. Wide-leg pants? Bring 'em on!

Tish Jett said...

Really? You're going to try those pants? Please report back from the field.

California Girl said...

Love the shoes.

Not the pants.

BigLittleWolf said...

Oh Tish, You're such a sweetheart. (As are you, Heather.)

Now about those shoes... and you know I'm very open-minded about my feral and flirty footwear. I might even go so far as to say that those fashion (challenged?) furry friends are superior to some of the oddly boxed heels I saw in the February ELLE, but really?

Must we sink to mink? Or purr to fur?

Give me a gorgeous classic pump any day, any color, with or without signature red sole.

Then again, were those shoes faux fur and red, I might have to try them out. You know. By way of "field research."

knitpurl said...

Shoes are interesting. Pants, not. OMG, really? A group wants to bring back those 60 hippie pants? Agree skinny pants are not for us all, but ugh! xoxo, C.

Worthington said...

The Celine collection had so many weird things, the fur was just so ridiculous and not something classic Celine buyers are interested in - it is a bit TOO different if you asked me. Have you seen the most heinous piece of the collection? Check it out: http://www.celine.com/en/collection/summer/fashion-shoes/sandals/6 ...red fur birkenstock's from Celine. Painfully ugly.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I am not feeling those shoes...but I am sure they are meant for some fun loving girl!! Will we see Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch versions next??

5th and State said...

ahhh, the old bell bottoms, when i did not know what a 'muffin top' was, when a halter top completed the look.....again? i shudder
x
debra

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

No to big bird shoes and wide legged pants yes to black and
DAWolf!

That's Not My Age said...

I do like your Big Bird/Celine connection. I have a pair of high-waited flared Levi's which I like to wear in summer. Not quite as wide as the Seafarers though - they look a bit dangerous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...