Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Getting A Leg Up

It's difficult to imagine all that could be going on in this picture. . .
         Let me tell you, one of the things we really, really hate over here is les jambes lourdes and Frenchwomen are willing to spend major Euros to combat the battle against "heavy legs."

        Les jambes lourdes are not overly endowed gams, not at all, these heavy legs are a temporary condition which can be remedied -- or at least that's what we're told. We're referring to lovely legs that just happen to be "engorged" (a rather unattractive choice of words if you ask me) with water.

       Yesterday I saw a friend of mine who falls into the lovely leg category. Marion was wearing a flirty pleated gray flannel skirt, about three inches above her knees, opaque black tights and medium high heels.  When I asked her "what's new?" she told me her tights. (I thought, "good for you Marion, but can't you do better than that?)
From Lytess, as you can see leggings are also available.
       She looked excited about her pantyhose so I asked her if there was anything special about them. "Oh, yes," she said. "I ordered them some time ago and they just arrived so I decided to get out of my jeans and wear a skirt today." OK, great.

      "These are not like any other tights I have ever seen or worn," she said. "They're a special 'microcapsule' fabric with caffeine, karite butter and sweet almond oil incorporated into the fiber somehow or other. They're supposed to be slimming and at the same time moisturizing, I'm so excited to see what happens," she said.

       The concoction of caffeine, karite butter and sweet almond oil is part of the cocktail often found in anti-cellulite products, but neither of us was familiar with slimming tights, with built-in panels to smooth the waist and thighs while giving a boost to the derriere which at the same time moisturize the legs and help -- here's the operative concept, the one which goes onto the list of Frenchwomen's obsessions: drain les jambes.
Operative word, Aquadrainant.
       Draining, drainage, is huge in France. Liquid retention is one of a Frenchwoman's greatest enemies and the products promising to rid her of the nemesis are legion. Depending upon one's level of discipline, disposable income and determination, the following weapons can be employed to fight the aggressor: over-the-counter plant based pills, a zillion anti-cellulite products that must be used vigorously -- every day, various detox potions, massage and now these tights.

This option seems most appealing.
       Oh, I almost forgot the question that is no doubt plaguing you right this instant: What happens after they're washed? They are guaranteed to withstand 30 washings. After that I assume the control portions will continue to work, more or less well.

       Marion is on a mission. I, of course, have ordered my tights. I'll let you know how we're doing.

17 comments:

LauraH said...

Wow, I thought I had heard of most of the ways the beauty industry pries money out of our wallets, but this is a new one. Sounds like total hype to me but then I'm more interested in other forms of maintenance - massage, stretching, walking. I'm curious to know which product claims you've found to be true and which are just fantasy.

Good luck with your tights!

Fashion art and other fancies said...

Lots of walking - good for long, lean slender legs.

Janice said...

We do all understand that our skin's just not all that porous, right? If it were, imagine what would happen when you spilled wine on yourself...

Cheryl said...

Hmmmmm, I can't wait to hear your report!! I do love tights with a cute short skirt!

That's Not My Age said...

Oh I've heard about these tights, though have to agree with Fashion Art & Other Fancies - think a good long walk is probably better!

Deborah Flanagan said...

Looking forward to your comments after wearing.

Jen said...

Drainage? Hmm... Where is it all that excess supposed to go? Let's hope those tights are absorbent. Kidding, kidding! :)

Perhaps I'm just sore thinking that my naturally thick ankles would be a French faux pas. If those tights work, I want a pair! :)

knitpurl said...

Awaiting your report on the tights, Tish. I'm with the lots of walking group. And, of course, disciplined eating/drinking overall. (If they work, perhaps the manufacturer can design an upper arm band too, just thinking ahead with a smile on my face.) xoxo, C.

BigLittleWolf said...

Triple WOW on this one, Tish! (And when will we know how well these work? Who doesn't look great in black tights and a heel? I am also of the walking-walking-walking variety which does help, but... More details, please... keep us posted.)

Worthington said...

I cannot wait to hear more! Diuretics are not really good for me (I have vitamin deficiencies) but I am sure they do have their uses. Look forward to a report on the tights!

Joni said...

Looking forward to hearing more about this. It actually sounds just a gimmicky as those moisturizing jeans by Wrangler that I saw in Vogue UK.

Sheila said...

Ha! Always get a kick out of your reports on these beauty devices, contraptions and treatments. (After I stop rolling my eyes)
There's just no end to what women will fall for, huh? Let's hear it for conspicuous cosumption and disposable income. Fab.

Kathy said...

I've heard about these, and of course, have my doubts. Also not thrilled about having chemicals of any kind absorbed into my skin without knowing the implications. However, even though I'm not French, I am quite conscious of water retention and do a lot to avoid it. Walking, drinking lots of water, special herbal teas, little to no carbonation, and of course, minimal salt. Off topic of course but I've been looking for a flirty gray pleated skirt for ages, like flippy skirts way more than pencil skirts, but no luck in the US. We're coming to Europe in March and this will be on my shopping list for then.

mette said...

Seems that everything is possible.
I am loyal to my black Wolfords, the 66d.Simply the best. 70d. are a bit softer.
Wolford has a large variety, with or without support.
No need to experiment on others.

vicki archer said...

Where do I buy them... :) xv

Gramspearls said...

Fluid retention is an awful thing to contend with. Unfortunatly, it also causes blood pressure to rise. Often, it is thought to be the other way around, but many things cause fluid retention (medications and supplements are two culprits). Looking up all the things a person's taking on a site like Drugs.com and checking the side effects can be very eye opening. Everyone's body reacts differently to food, beverages, medications, and supplements. A good MD can help and possibly add a 'real' diretic to improve things.

Warmly, Kathleen

Femme Francophile said...

I bought the legins when in France in December. I liked how they felt and my skin seemed to feel smoother. However unfortunately no change in the size of my thighs, tummy etc.... Perhaps it will be different for you Tish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...