Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ah, Inspiration. . .

        

          Why am I having such a difficult time with the word, with the concept? Why do I seem to be lacking the inspiration to tackle the essence of inspiration?

          Today is the second Tuesday of the month, the day upon which our blogging group, By Invitation Only, discusses/examines/waxes (in many of the exceedingly talented members hands) poetic on a subject we all agree is interesting and sometimes challenging. To see what other members have to say, please click here for the list and the links.

Pure inspiration, n'est-ce pas?
        Back to my dilemma: The first and most basic definition of inspiration is to "breathe in." We need air to live. Of course. But consider a banal example of choosing to "breath in": When we bury our nose in a perfect rose, and we inhale deeply we've made a conscious decision. We're not breathing to live. We're breathing for joy, for pleasure. Perhaps it's that breath that inspired a perfumer to create an exquisite fragrance, or made a woman fall in love with the man who gave her the rose -- in other words, an inspiration, a magical cause and effect.

       Perhaps I cannot precisely explain an inspiration, but to paraphrase a cliche, I know one when I see it.

        In other words we must pause, consider, reflect when breathing in the shimmering, sometimes elusive possibilities of inspiration. It is in those moments that the intangible transforms into the possible. It seems to me these are often the instants in life when we are somehow -- and it's all quite mystifying -- given a glimpse into the true meaning of magic. Some might say, a God-like communion in some instances. Inspiration is the catalyst for creativity and admiration which can then lead us on to hope, joy, tolerance, compassion, kindness, generosity, beauty, love and perhaps the fulfillment of a dream.

A tiny corner of our garden in early spring.
       You're probably thinking, "enough already, with this stream of consciousness blather," and you're right.  Let me tell you then who and what fulfill my definition of inspiration: my daughter for her infinite kindness, strength and wicked sense of humor; My-Reason-For-Living-In-France for his courage, gentleness and ability to wake-up every morning positive and optimistic; my wonderful friends who, in a word, are one of life's greatest gifts. . . and then there is France.

       France, the way it transforms one's life can only be described as pure inspiration. I'll stop now, but I think in a future post I'll re-examine why France is inspiration.    

14 comments:

Tree said...

You nailed it beautifully! Inspiration is being in-spirit.

"...the instants in life when we are somehow -- and it's all quite mystifying -- given a glimpse into the true meaning of magic. Some might say, a God-like communion in some instances."

Catherine Robinson said...

I LOVE the way you write Tish...I feel I can hear you talking ;-)
I'm looking forward to reading your next post on France already!
Have a wonderful week.
Catherine
xx

Splenderosa said...

I had thought to try and explain "inspiration" as the moment you know something wonderful is happening inside your head. You did this splendidly! And, now I'm happy you were the one who said it so beautifully. It is difficult to describe inspiration's source, but I think you've done exactly that. Thank you, Tish, for being so brilliant!

Lorrie said...

Lovely words, Tish. You are an inspiration!

Elizabeth Eiffel said...

Absolutely "spot on" Trish. ........I too am blessed to be inspired by family members and amazing friends & people in far flung places. Their courage, strength of character, love, generosity and spirit never cease to touch me daily. Then there is mother nature - intricate, complex awe inspiring. Aren't we lucky!

vicki archer said...

We are on the same wave length it would seem... :) France... always an inspiration, Tish... xv

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

I know exactly what you mean about our subject this month Tish ......... I found it raher difficult.
So sorry that my comments have been few and far between ..... I have found that I seem to pass the bloggers that I know well. In my head I say ' they won't mind if I don't comment' which is so wrong of me. I shall try to be a better blogging friend in the future !! Much love. XXXX

BigLittleWolf said...

This is beautiful, Tish. And I love that you included courage and gentleness in what you find inspiring.

I'm looking forward to more on why France inspires you. I know it has always inspired me in all the most glorious ways of blossoming, though I'm not entirely sure I could explain the why of it.

All the more reason I'll be looking forward to reading yours.

xo

The enchanted home said...

I love that you chose your daughter...how beautiful! And of course we all know without significant others and great friends..life would be incredibly boring, difficult and lonely. I do agree about France and its trans formative qualities.....it is simply magical!

helen tilston said...

Breathing to live truly says it all.

Surrounding yourself with family who offer Kindness, gentleness and optimism copletes the recipe.

Helen xx

Amelia said...

Heartwarming and beautifully written, and I couldn't agree more with your definitions of inspiration.

"Inspiration is the catalyst for creativity and admiration which can then lead us on to hope, joy, tolerance, compassion, kindness, generosity, beauty, love and perhaps the fulfillment of a dream."

xo

LaPouyette said...

Simply fabulous, Tish! We share the love and inspiration France give us. Well, in my case the Périgord!
You described it with perfection! What else can I say....
I "breath" in your post!
Warmest greetings from the Périgord,
Karin

Sorry for late comment but we're cut-off from the electricity every so often during the last few days...rural countryside!!

SE said...

Late to this, but I enjoyed your view on inspiration and I am really, really looking forward to hearing more about France. When you are living in chain store, corporatized America, France seems like an endlessly inspiring dream.

LPC said...

Love you Tish. xoxox. That's what your post makes me think. xoxox. Some day in real life, if I'm lucky.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...