Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wrist Watch

Proof, that sometimes too much is just enough. (The nail polish is pretty too don't you think?)
          Do you go through fashion phases? I definitely do. Not so much for clothes because I'm pretty much locked in to what works best for me and, it tends to be strict and simple because frou-frou even in tiny touches looks ridiculous on me.

          No, I'm talking primarily about accessories. For the last couple of years my accessorizing has consisted exclusively of earrings, more often than not creoles, and a scarf. Admittedly, I have a gazillion scarves, but still. . .



          Now, suddenly, I'm yearning for accessories -- I mean ACCESSORIES (!) -- I want to wear lots and lots of jewelry. I'm trying to figure out why and I've come to the conclusion that it's because for the last month or so we've been discussing illustrations for the accessory chapter of the book. Heaven knows I own all the necessary components and I actually continued to buy necklaces and a couple of small bangle bracelets to add to my collection even though I wasn't wearing them.





          I'm a huge, "you never know, so it's best to be prepared" sort of shopper. My thinking leans toward the, "you like it, you'll probably wear it at some point," if not I can always give it to my daughter. Also I really, really detest accessory regret. That's why I bought two -- yes, two -- triple strand turquoise necklaces from the lovely jeweler who was retiring and gave me a great price. I have yet to wear them. However, I may don them tomorrow for my lunch in Paris mixed with my mauve quartz necklaces; I just might. Or, perhaps with my lapis beads, you know, the oh, so pretty blue-on-blue theme.

         For years I piled on bracelets with my sober men's tank watch. Then I stopped -- the watch and the bracelets. I just asked people what time it was. The other day I decided it was time to pull everything out and put everything on.


          When reading my great friend, Marsha's divine blog Splenderosa I noticed she did a stunning post on wrist decoration. You'll see when you click chez elle. Then, if you don't own enough, or want to add more, bracelets, necklaces and rings you can shop while you're visiting her. She designs jewelry.

          And finally, if you have the time and are looking for a good time, click on Astley Clarke where you will find a feature where you can grab and drag her rings to make your very own mix and match stack. It really is fun.

21 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Yes! I go through accessory phases! Not to long ago...I wore all of it at the same time. Then I went through small earrings, big necklaces, and a bracelet. Lately, for me it is all about small earrings and either or on the other. But, these bracelets certainly tempt me to dive into bracelets. I think I lean more toward big necklaces with little or not bracelet, because I am constantly on my computer or teaching.

Deborah Flanagan said...

With a cell phone always within reach, I've given up wearing a watch. I always have on earrings but rarely a necklace. I love bangles, especially the look of stacking bangles. I make silver jewelry and my bangles are by far the most popular item. I ship them all over the world.

Cornelia said...

I think that as I get older I wear fewer pieces as it simply does not look right on me. Maybe there is a right approach to piling it all on, but I have not figured it out.

Déjà Pseu said...

I've been in a bit of a minimalist phase too, but do enjoy layering bracelets. I usually wear my watch on its own, but am tempted to add maybe another smaller bracelet or two on that wrist.

Expat mum said...

I love me some bracelets but sitting at a computer most of the day, they are very impractical. I end up taking them off, putting them next to the computer and then walking off without them.

Jill said...

I've always loved watches - so I still wear them as accessories even tough I don't totally need them to tell time.

And I love bracelets...necklaces...earrings...rings...I have a lot of jewelry and am always looking for more. I love things that have their own personality and then I figure out how to work with their personality and mine together when I get dressed :)

Scarves...I had to pare down. People know I wear them a lot so I get gifts, etc - and I only need so many.

Anonymous said...

Piled on jewelry can look great on the younger gals, it comes across as intentional statement styling. On older gals it usually looks just kooky/eccentric, and just plain over the top, in my opinion.

Kathy said...

Have always loved that Hermes pyramid cuff, and have debated in my head whether the natural or black leather would work better for me. Love the look, but can't stand the feel or impracticality of a bunch of bracelets clanking around my wrists.

Jean S said...

Very few people can carry it off, in my opinion....and I can't stand it on me.

Karen Albert said...

Tish I love the look, and will don several bracelets; however often like Kathy the sound of a half dozen plus a watch clanking against each other and rubbing my skin bothers me!
I almost ruined a very expensive bracelet this way; so it in my mind is better with mid-range costume jewels.

xoxo
Karena
2013 Artists Series

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love stacking sterling bangles and recently I have been mixing my pearls with my new JCrew sparkly necklace.
There is something fun about pairing the unlikely candidates together. Your recent purchase of turquoise beads seems timely as they look so wonderful in the sunny weather with whites.
A chapter on accessories! Yeah. When did you say that book was coming out?

Thea said...

Y.ou mentioned wearing " creoles." I am unfamiliar with this term. Will you define, please?

Tish Jett said...

Creoles, hoop earrings.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I was just going to ask if Creoles involved crayfish.
Hoop earrings... Creoles... humm?
Sheila

mette said...

I´m quite opposite to you.
Studs and a set of three simple rings on my " not perfect " right ring finger is all I wear daily.

I have grown tired of jewelry ( for now ).
Less is so much more.

I don´t even own a silk scarf!

Amelia said...

Lovely as they look on the models beautiful wrists and arms, am not much into bracelets. I buy them for those once in awhile days. What I tend to wear most is a set of gold bangles a friend brought from India. They're starting to have that aged patina.

rubiatonta said...

I like stacking up bracelets, and I own turquoise bracelets like the ones you show here. Since my jewelry is silver and funky/ethnic, the stacks work for me -- and since I've got a big collection, it means that I can show off more at a time.

A long-ago boyfriend used to refer to the piled-on bracelets as my "dowry"!

helen tilston said...

Tish, The multiple bracelets are most feminine and attractive I am sure you will look fabulous
Helen xx

BigLittleWolf said...

I adore dressing a wrist! (It's a bit like shoes.)

I've often found that one stunning, bold cuff makes a unique "signature" statement like nothing else.

Love these options you're showing!

happyface313 said...

I love wearing lots of bracelets, I mix leather in-between, so they don't cling cling too much :-) Have a HAPPY day :-)

The Single Nester said...

Love accessories but wish I could wear loads of bracelets but alas . . . my wrist is a bit bigger than "average."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...