Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rethinking Inside (& Outside) The Collar

Loulou de la Falaise. Few women have ever accessorized better than she did.
          Because I often buy clothes for my daughter from J.Crew I have automatically landed on the company's  e-mail list. The latest message in my inbox was "The Art of the Collar" as presented by fashion director, Gayle Spannaus.


From J.Crew. The third suggestion was, in my opinion, rather silly. It was layering one shirt over another, i.e. two collars. And then what?
          She suggests we button up, right to the neck and decorate beneath the collar for a change of pace from the necklaces and scarves typically worn inside an open shirt. Her presentation was appealing indeed, as you can see.
Loulou de la Falaise.
          Still, I think no one ever quite embellished a classic shirt the way Loulou de la Falaise did. She usually left hers wide open and piled on the beads, chains, and plenty of her self-designed ornaments.

So simple, so crisp -- collar up beads on.
          It seems to me, open or closed has more to do with one's mood, and I am feeling that masses of necklaces are just what the dreary, gray days of winter need to add gaiety to our wardrobes. And, the best part is we probably do not need to make a single purchase to pull off the look.

          Just for fun, here is a collection of necklaces that should guarantee a "look at me" response (in a good way).
On white,  pale orange,  pink,  fuchsia, mauve. . .


How about on a jeans shirt, as in opposites attract?
Isn't this gorgeous? Wouldn't it be divine on a pale, pale gray satin or silk blouse?


White on white or on any color really.
How about this on a pale pink shirt?

          Thursday I have a luncheon date with a friend in Paris and I'm collecting all my beads and baubles to see how I'll put them together with one of my many, many, many tailored shirts. For some reason I've not been wearing necklaces recently, as in at least a couple of years, and now I'm yearning to do so.

         The effect we want is a little bit gypsy, a little bit Yves Saint Laurent and very, very French.

21 comments:

BigLittleWolf said...

It all seems very Bohemian and like great fun.

I love the pile-on-pearls look, myself, but can only pull it off if extremely simply (monochromatically) dressed, and still, not wildly excessively (I'm too petite).

Haven't worn necklaces in some time, either... You've got me thinking now... You're quite right. Most of us have all kinds of things tucked away that we could pull out and play with.

I hope you'll take pictures of whatever you decide to go with!

Déjà Pseu said...

Oh, love these necklaces. I can't do the shirt buttoned to the top, though...just looks *wrong* and very school-marmish on me. LouLou was an original and still inspires!

French Girl in Seattle said...

Great post, Tish. Loulou de la Falaise was a creative lady and a true original. Love the necklaces you selected, especially the third one. I own a pair of Loulou de la Falaise earrings that would look really good with it. Do you mind revealing your sources (3rd necklace from top; grey color.) Merci beaucoup!
Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I was given a JCrew necklace for Xmas and have been mixing it with all my pearls for a fresh way of wearing my beads. The bling gives the pearls a bit of a jolt!
I prefer to wear the neck open and the collar points turned up.
Do take a photo of your necklaces before you pop off to Paris. Bohemian sounds like a great approach to a little fun.

Barbara Lilian said...

Love your post , love the necklaces. The turquoise one is fab, but I agree with Veronique (French Girl in Seattle) it's got to be, the 3rd one down. I need to rummage through my box of baubles & bangles, I'm sure I've got something I could bring out to add a bit of zing to my grey day.
Thank you Tish. Please show us what you wore for the lunch in Paris.

Anonymous said...

Really fantastic post, Tish. What I love about this is we ALL already have everything in our closets we need to pull this off. It's just in the details ... as you always say ....

xo --
Marsi

Femme Curieuse said...

All of the necklace you posted are beautiful, but must mention that I have the red and gold coral necklace and LOVE it. I've only worn it a handful of times, but each time was stopped by strangers asking where they might get one. Looks like Lou-Lou is wearing something similar!

Shelley said...

Having a short neck, I wouldn't ever consider the buttoned up options. Also, cold weather makes me prefer scarves to necklaces. Come summer, I might open that collar and pile on the jewels, but probably not before.

Worthington said...

I cannot handle anything super close to my neck - so you will never see me buttoned up all the way unless it was below 30* here! Lou-Lou de la Falaise always had wonderful taste. I always look to her when I am thinking of my work wardrobe. So classic. Great reference!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I almost did this same style last week, and hesitated for some reason. I think you just inspired me to plunge forward. All of the necklaces you pictured here are ones I would wear. Enjoyed the post!

Lost in Provence said...

Gorgeous, the whole lot of it! And I am even of a fan of the bling inside the faded jean shirt trend...
Have a lovely lunch on Thursday!

Kimberly said...

Very chic and French, indeed! While in Vienna last year, I saw a woman wearing a longer necklace under a neckscarf, with a button-down shirt, and it looked amazing. Unfortunately, these are all "don'ts" for someone who is high-waisted, short-necked, and busty like myself. There are few linebackers with true je ne sais quoi.

Karen Albert said...

Tish I adore the first coral necklace; stunning. Really all of the selections are! many great ways to accessorize and feel feminine!

xoxo
Karena
2013 Artists Series

Mary Timmers said...

Tish-

I'm usually shy about piling on necklaces. But you've got my attention now. Friday I have a chance to switch things up a bit, so I might just take your encouragement to heart!

Thanks for the post!

Mary

knitpurl said...

Beautiful choices, need to lay mine out to see how I like combining several. Will try this as I usually think my hoop earrings are enough and necklaces just add too much. You've got me thinking with this post, Tish.
Thanks, xo, C.

Rhiannon at After Plumcake said...

I have the coral Kenneth Jay Lane too, in the larger of the two sizes. It is a LOT of necklace, and I say that as a large woman who regularly tops 6'4" in heels. Sometimes I loop the ends of a bias-folded scarf through either end and wear it as a belt on plain dresses.

Collars in general and buttoned up collars specifically are Not For Me but I love the look, especially on women of a certain age. I'm a big girl with very "loud" features and coloring so a collar is just more noise. I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously. Post photos!

Lorrie said...

Love the necklaces! I always admire those who wear them but when I put them on I feel overdone and frumpy. I feel like the necklaces compete with my earrings (which are modest, at best). I have a gold neck band (solid chain?) and pearls, and those are my standards. Maybe I just need to be brave and go for it!

Amelia said...

I love necklaces and have quite a collections from the real stuff to costume pieces. The turquoise color, grey pearls and coral(#6)necklaces are lovely indeed. Love the subject of today's post.

vicki archer said...

I do love a necklace Tish.. and they do cheer me up on a winter's day.. i will admit.. I was just browsing through the new J.Crew selection... very tempting...

As I was scrolling down your posts, catching up, I saw you wrote about leather jackets... i did smile... it would seem that our minds are thinking alike...:) xv

Kathy said...

I like to wear my shirts buttoned all the way to the neck sometimes. I'm starting to come around to the piled on statement necklaces look as well. Going to take a peruse at J.C. online. Great post.

SE said...

I love the Lou Lou looks- right up my alley and, I think, especially flattering on those of us 'of a certain age'.

I'm not a huge fan of the buttoned up collar for us- it can look frumpy and schoolmarmish to my eye, unless it's paired with cutting edge fashion and hair. But I do believe anyone at any age should give a look a try if they are drawn to it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...