Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Les Soldes + This & That



          Today is the official debut of the winter sales in France. As you know strict rules (laws) govern the dates of les soldes. Of course, retailers maneuver around the constraints with "special promotions" -- it's all semantics -- and the "private" pre-date sales for special customers. I received a few of those invitations.

          As I mentioned, I was in Paris yesterday and while there I did a little pre-markdown reconnaissance. This is what I discovered: mountains of cashmere sweaters, particularly V and crew-necks in orange and fuchsia. I don't know whether that meant that the stores were overly enthusiastic about the vivid colors or whether French women were not.


          Because, as you know, Frenchwomen like their neutrals and replenish them when necessary, I also noticed that there were many that were about to be marked down. Among the colors were winter white, various nuances in the beige family -- from camel to oatmeal -- a smattering of navy and a few, very few, black sweaters on the shelves.

         I have decided this year, and this is a first mind you, to buy a winter white V-neck cashmere sweater. It will also be a deeper V than I ordinarily choose. I've decided to lighten-up if you will.

         Over the next weeks, I'll re-visit the soldes and tell you more.


         On another subject, but related to not exactly new year resolutions, but a mild effort to start anew with a detox. My niece gave me Detox tea from Kusmi which is a blend of maté, tea vert de Chine and citronnelle. It promises "draining" and "regeneration" -- what's not to like? It can be sipped throughout the day.
         I've also discovered Euphoria (if only. . .) which makes even more extravagant promises, i.e.: "comfort" and "good humor" (bonne humeur). All that in a cup, but that's not the best part because from the ingredients, chocolate, maté (grilled this time, whatever that means or changes in the formula) and orange. All that and zero calories. I'm on it.

         The recommended hours for drinking are between three and four.

         I'll keep you au courant on both fronts -- draining and good humor.  

20 comments:

Kathy said...

I'll take one of those camel v-necks, please and thank you!

Kathy said...

I ventured into two winter white sweaters this year, and am really enjoying them. My pop of color! Be careful of the Mate if you're sensitive to caffeine - very stimulating.

Lost in Provence said...

Alas, I will not be partaking of Les Soldes this time around but iiiif I cooould, I would be buying a winter white cashmere V-neck and matching coat (because, as I am dreaming, why not?).

And dear Tish, need I remind you that now that Danse avec les stars is over...what is next? :) Zis is Za Voice!

Jacqueline Prajza said...

Simply adore those sweaters - in the neutrals of course! LOL! This is the type of clothing I love, soft, light and especially warm for this time of year.
Definitely time to get the Kusmi Detox tea out.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Winter white is such a soft and feminine shade and very dressy. I love a V neck for showing off a necklace or wearing a scarf. Have fun shopping Tish!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I want the fuschia one!! I am now wearing predominantly V-necks...I feel on my, they are the most flattering neckline!

othello said...

I'm with the French on neutrals! I love a bold dash of color in a scarf, bag, belt, gloves, or sometimes shoes, but I'm overwhelmed when I try those items on in the backbone of my outfit.

The sales are ongoing here in the U.S., but the last call markdowns for the fall and winter seasons are in full swing. I picked up a gorgeous cashmere shawl from a top designer in a mixture of beige and orange that reminded me of fall leaves. A little orange goes a LONG WAY.

Karen Albert said...

Tish I love your choice for the V Neck Cashmere; I used to wear a lot of winter white. The bright colors are wonderful for us artistic Americans as well. The teas sound divine!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Villette said...

I was in London yesterday and caught the tail-end of the sale in Harrods. There was a Loro Piana (bliss) large-sized cashmere scarf in dark soft blues and tans. I was on it. Then I saw the tag. Sale price: £525 ($850). Which is not what I mean when I say 'a sale price.' It's what I mean when I say 'a down-payment on a car.'

ParisGrrl said...

I think you're right about the bright colors scaring some people off, but perhaps the warm fall played into the soft sales as well. I wore my cashmere sweaters well into last summer, and then laughed when they were too warm for most of this past fall. I'd love to find one of the black faux-fur scarves chez Monoprix, but I'm not holding my breath. (I have yet to see anyone wear one of the wine or acid yellow ones, and I'm with the born-heres on thinking those are not a good investment.)

That's Not My Age said...

I need some more cashmere in my life.

The enchanted home said...

Intrigued by the detox tea..you will have to share with us if it's something we need to know about!!
I love cashmere and when its on sale...I stock up. Its a timeless classic that never goes out of style!

Nora Fab said...

I miss Paris. I would have any , or all of those cashmeres. They give me a feeling of fall/winter light, a pleasant cold to chilly wheather, a cup of hot coffee.

Nora

http://notenora.blogspot.com

Duchesse said...

I no longer allow myself white or very pale neutral cashmeres. Tea, curry sauce, printer ink and many other evils befall them every time. But I love them!

BigLittleWolf said...

Les soldes would be euphoria enough...

(*soupir*)

Looking forward to hearing more!

Déjà Pseu said...

I just ordered the requisite navy v-neck from Eric Bompard at 30% off. ;-) Still pondering one in Winter White...

Laurieapg said...

Pseu, the classic navy v-neck isn't on the Bompard web site today! How and where can I order it???

Déjà Pseu said...

Laurieapg, I ordered one of these (not the Classic style, but looks plenty classic to me).

http://www.eric-bompard.com/lang-en/v-neck-pullovers-women/621-off-gauge-v-neck-pullover.html

Laurieapg said...

Thank you, Pseu! I am a new reader of both yours and Tish's--and I am so grateful to both of you for helping me revamp my tired old style! I am "of a certain age" myself and have recently returned to law school, where I am surrounded by gorgeous, stylish 20-somethings. Both my ego and wardrobe needed a boost, but I didn't want to feel like mutton dressing like lamb. The two of you--and Ines de la Fressange--have helped me remember that there is no way I would choose to be 25 again! Merci beaucoup, mesdames!

Anonymous said...

Do look up the dangers of consuming mate....it is associated witha higher risk in certain cancers and other not so great things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...