Saturday, January 12, 2013

From the Market to The Cuisine

Lovely, fresh coriander.
          Today is definitely a day for soup, translation: cold, rainy, gray, indecisive in the sense that the meteorological elements cannot seem to resolve the dilemma about whether to stick with the rain or just buck up and move on to snow. We're voting for snow.

          No matter. Just back from the market where I chose, with a little help from my friends there, all the ingredients for what I anticipate will be a delicious vegetable soup.

Baby spinach.
Baby carrots.
Baby navets (turnips). I seem to be into baby veggies big time.


Courgettes

Celery, particularly the leaves.
          Ingredients include: a handful of spinach, baby carrots -- for their sweetness (also picked up a few big, hardy specimens for the horses across the street), baby turnips (oh, how I hated turnips when I was a child, but these have nothing to do with those), courgettes, celery and voila we're in vitamin and mineral overload.  And finally, fresh coriander to sprinkle on top after it's cooked. Since we're on a sort of regime, you'll note there are no potatoes in the pot to the dismay of My-Reason-For-Living-In-France.

          This version will have as its base a fat-free chicken broth. I bought it even though I know I should have made it, but it's "Bio" which changes everything, n'est-ce pas?

          In half the batch the vegetables will remain in bite-size pieces for MRGLIF, the other half will be blended into a thick potage for me. The courgette gives that satisfying thickness without the potatoes.

          Now off to the health food store for agave, our florist for whatever appeals, the librarie for my magazines and chez Claire for our dee-vine pain complet aux céréales.

          A demain, my dears.

13 comments:

Kathy said...

I like my all vegetable, no potato soups pureed as well. Makes it feel so much richer. I'm into baby vegetables as well - hmmm....
Have a great weekend Tish.

Karen Albert said...

Yum Tish, with snow coming in tonight and frigid temps soup it is!
Right now I have a 7 bean soup in the slow cooker. There are also baby carrots, celery, and Herbs de Provence. I think I will make cornbread!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

California Girl said...

What Europeans call "coriander" we call "cilantro" as you probably know. I didn't know that for years. I'm a big Mexican food lover and chef and use cilantro regularly. Only learned it came from the coriander about 10 years ago. The seeds have such a different aroma from the greens. It's an interesting, multi useful herb.

knitpurl said...

Joyful 2013 my dear Tish,
your potage sounds yummy. With your book on the move all sounds beautifully well in France. The same here too with a mild winter in fly over country -- as you already know. Spent a lovely solo week skiing in Vail before Christmas and now am looking ahead to an active year. Take good care my friend,
xoxoxo Carole

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We have enjoyed clam chowder and scotch broth this week. Soups are my salvation!
Hope you get your hands on some wonderful magazines. Great way to relax while your soup is simmering on the hob!

NotesFromAbroad said...

I love soups. Even now, in summer, we have Gazpacho or light cucumber soups.
But in winter, I love anything thick and rich , whatever is in the market . I like to add a bit of cheese sometimes to soups and I love putting a bit of cooked rice in a chicken soup then putting it all through the blender .
I look forward to next winter when I will be in a new home/kitchen/country and doing some real cooking again !
besitos, C

Lorrie said...

Lunch today was butternut squash, onion, garlic and ginger soup, with a ripe pear thrown in at the last minute, then everything pureed. Delicious and satisfying.

I picked up Campagne Decoration at the bookstore downtown and am looking forward to a relaxing read this afternoon.

I hope your soup is delicious (how could it not be) and your afternoon equally so.

Belle de Ville said...

We are having an unusually cold winter this year in southern California and soup has been on my menu recently too.
Tish, have you considered writing a cookbook?

Lost in Provence said...

Ah-ha! You have pain au cereales complet! How?! As we are also on regime that means no bread as I can not find anything but the fake non-whole grain kind...Wasa crackers it is. Sigh.

And I love those bouillion gels. Mega quickie insta soup!
Bon Dimanche,
H

Tish Jett said...

Oh, Belle,

If I were to write a cookbook it would have to be self-published, distributed and promoted because no one, repeat no one, in the world of publishing would go near it. Probably none of my blogging friends would avoid writing about it out of kindness.

I guess I could do giveaways, but I suspect the give away would be given away again -- and again. . .

I have a small -- very small -- repertoire of recipes and meals. Long ago I stopped competing with my highly talented French friends. I keep it simple or I'll do something completely American. My friends seem to like my chili and various other dishes I learned while living in New Mexico.

Sweet of you to suggest the idea however.

xo

Tish Jett said...

Heather,

You promised me "Za Voice" but it wasn't on last night. Also, I want to know what happened to "The Mentalist" I love that Patrick Jane (little crush on Cho as well).

It's amazing the English language programs I've never heard in English.

xoxo

Barbara Lilian said...

I just love the way you write so humorously, whatever you're doing.
What is your forthcoming book about?
Your soup sounds great, I think I'd go along with you & have mine blended. Mentally I'd feel I was eating more, so then I'd be able to skip the cheese course. My biggest downfall since living in France.

playingwithscarves said...

Fresh herbs! The secrte to good food!
Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...