Thursday, January 17, 2013

Exercising The Right Not To Bare Arms

Julianne Moore.
         Before moving on, let's get this on and off the proverbial table: I stole this idea, the one about sumptuous long-sleeved dresses at the 2013 Golden Globes awards ceremony. Yes, I did. I ripped-off my pal Alyson, the brilliant journalist who has one of the best blogs out there, That's Not My Age.

         If you're not reading and following her I think the second you click above and visit her space, you too will become a fan.

Helen Mirren.
Barbara Palvin.
Adele.
Nicole Richie.
Morenna Beccarin.
        I asked her if I could steal her idea -- kicking myself for not being clever enough to think of it myself -- and she gave me permission to do so. In that case, maybe it doesn't qualify as a crime. If you can ask the potential victim of a premeditated robbery if you can have her permission to blithely walk away with her intellectual property, and then she grants it, maybe it would more rightly be defined as a favor. I can rationalize almost anything.

       Thank you, Alyson.

Kate Hudson
Naomi  Watts
       Here then is a collection of dresses on women who dared not to bare. In the ranks of celebrity-dom covered arms are almost an aberration. So much so, in fact, that they look fresh on the red carpet and separate the brave from the bare banal. Granted, some of the designers of these dresses have incorporated scene stealing details like necklines slashed to the waist and peek-a-boo backs alongside the more demure touches like those on Julianne Moore's and Helen Mirren's gowns.

16 comments:

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

I had actually seen it over at That's not my Age, but still need to comment ;-) Wouldn't it be great if maybe, just maybe, designers as well as the high street could come up with more beautiful dresses which have sleeves. They all look elegant and sophisticated... xo

Kathy said...

Happy to see this post again, with the addition of some other dresses with sleeves I hadn't seen. They all look great, and I too, wish more designers would come up with non-red carpet dresses with sleeves.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I really thought the Golden Globe dresses as a whole were some of the most stunning I have seen at an awards ceremony for a while. There were several I would call elegant.

Déjà Pseu said...

Gorgeous shots. I'm really hoping that sleeves are making a comeback. One of the main reasons I was so happy to see that so many women wore sleeves to the GG's was because it was bloody COLD that day, and I have to imagine some of those women were freezing, especially the ones in the sleeveless or strapless gowns.

Kathy said...

Helen Mirren is just amazing.

Duchesse said...

When women shop, that's often what they look for: a dress with sleeves. Some seek it because it's cold, but most because they are terrified to reveal a body part that is no longer perfectly taut and defined.
I find the former practical, and the latter mournful.

MulticoloredPieces said...

There's something to be said about good taste and elegance, as you've demonstrated in this post. "Bare" is so cliché...!
best, nadia

Villette said...

As always, I'm left wanting Helen Mirren's hairdresser, make-up artist and wardrobe. Sigh.

Katherine said...

When I grow up I want to be a knock out like Helen Mirren {who would look great in a paper bag}.

She Loves Outfits said...

I love this! I love long sleeves!

vicki archer said...

I do love a sleeve... and a frock... :) xv

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish

These gowns are beautiful and so elegant. How kind of you to give credit to "That's not my age" the blogger who originally wrote such words. I shall be visiting her shortly.

Have a great week

Helen xx

California Girl said...

I viewed a slide show of GG gowns earlier today. The least attractive gowns on the wearers had exposed mid-riff cutouts, sheer panels instead of fabric, the usual over the top flounces, trains, puffy sleeves. I like the simpler gowns like the ones you show as well as the beautiful strapless numbers worn by Jennifer Garner and Sofia Vergara.

That's Not My Age said...

Thanks for your very kind words, Tish. Let's call it a favour, not a crime! Very best, Alyson.

Anonymous said...

Why does Julianne Moore's head look so ginormous with her teeny tiny body? Please eat a sandwich.

Amelia said...

Those who exercised their rights "not to bare arms" weren't any less sexier than the those who chose to "bare". Lovely to see sleeves on the red carpet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...