Sunday, January 27, 2013

A French Country Weekend

Charlotte, exhausted from chasing pine cones -- note the one sitting on her paw.
        The snow has melted, the sun is shining, the temperatures are pleasant and everything is mucky and sodden.

          Just back from a long, long visit with my first and best French friend, Anne-Françoise. She and her family had a gorgeous house a five minute walk from ours. (Actually, the verb is "has" a house near us because it's for sale and hasn't yet sold which brought her back to our village for a few days.)

        Last year they bought a house -- 11 bedrooms, 11 bathrooms and 15 toilettes, because as you no doubt know in most French homes the toilette is separate from the bathroom -- in the South of France. The family, at the moment, consists of six children and 14 grandchildren. A-F and her husband decided to find a place in the sun which would be so irresistible that everyone would be drawn to it like a magnet for summer vacations. So far the tactic has worked.

         I now know where we will be spending a July holiday. She invited us. Very exciting.

Tell me, what is more fun than gossip and tea with a best friend? (Oh, no, wait. . .  gossip and Champagne?)
        We met long before we became femmes d'un certain age in the days when my vocabulary consisted of about 15 French words unconnected by verbs and she has been one of the constants in my life ever since. She was undaunted by my inability to communicate and is the very essence of the definition, "best friend."

      Her middle daughter, Pamela, and Andrea have been friends forever. Another example of continuity and deep friendship.

     Anne-Françoise and I spent our time together today gossiping, drinking tea and exchanging beauty and regime tips. I brought her a jar of special night cream from Clarins and then told her my latest regime allowed two glasses of wine per day. She said (in French of course): "Scan that thing and get it to me instantly!" I did, it's in her iPhone.

     A demain my dear friends.

19 comments:

Splenderosa said...

Maybe the wine keeps us relaxed and we don't frown? Wonderful beauty advice, I think. And, goodness, what could be better than having friends who live in the South of France?

Pondside said...

That sort of friendship is such a gift - to be so relaxed with a friend - well, it just doesn't get any better.

Anonymous said...

And you did not let US in on the new regime?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

What is the new regime?
I am tea total right now and would love a glass of wine!
I do have quite a bit to shed though so it might delay the success on the scale...
Having a close girlfriend who shares everything with you is the best gift ever!
Their home must be fabulous! Perhaps you'll give us a sneak peek.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

What is the new regime?
I am tea total right now and would love a glass of wine!
I do have quite a bit to shed though so it might delay the success on the scale...
Having a close girlfriend who shares everything with you is the best gift ever!
Their home must be fabulous! Perhaps you'll give us a sneak peek.

Duchesse said...

Have begun your regime without being quite sure of the other elements so you better post that or I'll be tipsy all the time.

Your friend sounds delightful, and a getaway to the South is certainly a good idea, after all your work.

Kathy said...

Good to hear your voice Tish. Must have been a lovely break from all your editing, etc. My sister in law has a home in Grasse, and we used to visit every summer. We were going to go this summer, but have a grandchild due in June, so home for us. A destination home where the family can vacation together is so nice.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

My post, which will be up soon, is about finding a new coffee shop with my best friend, Gigi. I cherish our time together...we get each other through each day's challenges! Her home sounds amazing!

knitpurl said...

A good friend is the best tonic for anything in life -- I think my closest friend is better than any psychologists/psychiatrists. Best of luck with your latest "regime". xo, C.

BigLittleWolf said...

Any regime with two glasses of wine (and a healthy "side" of friendship) sounds pretty good to me!

Amazing how soothing a good cup of tea can be, especially in pretty china. (I've been indulging in a combination of herbal peppermint with green tea in the evenings, although I'm a serious coffee-drinker!)

Charlotte, as always, looks lovely (and lovable)...

Anonymous said...

Hey! What about us? : ) Can you post the new regime? merci d'avance! Anything that lets me keep the wine would actually have a chance of success! I've had all the bouillon and poireaux I can take ; ) LA

webb said...

It makes perfect sense. Viregar is a good preservative and wine is "just" great vinegar. So we should all drink wine daily ... for our health!

Karen Albert said...

Tish,
What I love about a cherished friend is the encouragement; that they accept us as ourselves. You can pick right up where you left-off!

Xoxo
Karena
New 2013 Artists Series

Anonymous said...

Your friendship sounds like just the kind we all should have and cherish! How lucky for you both.

Now, about that new regime...two glasses of wine, you say?

Sue - Over 60 and Over Here! said...

Tish, I think the overall vote is to PLEASE share this new regime with us! I live in a wine town in Spain, so it would be rude of me not to have at least 1 glass of wine with my evening meal. One of my best friends locally is Spanish and we meet most weeks for a coffee, plus we occasionally meet her and her husband for vino and tapas!

vicki archer said...

I hope you will be holidaying near to me Tish... and I love your idea of a regime...:)

labergerebasque said...

Sometimes the ONLY thing that will do is a good friend and a beautiful cup of tea :)

andiamo! said...

I am thinking that I already love your new regime.....2 glasses of wine ....oh yes please! I am hoping that you soon share this wonderful new secret with us.

Anonymous said...

That pinecone situation is too much ....

xoxo --
M.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...