Sunday, January 6, 2013

A French Country Weekend


         It took almost three hours to find exactly the deep yellow and orange pansies I wanted for the large boxes next to our front door and big Chinese pots on the porches in the back of the house. The front features yellow, the back orange.


        Now, no matter how miserable the weather -- and it's quite miserably dark, drizzly and rainy -- these bright sunny flowers set the tone for the day. Mission accomplished.

         Just back from the last holiday luncheon celebration of the season. The vegetable accompaniment was divine, mashed potatoes and celery root. Since we were en famille (I do this with my best friends as well) I asked for the recipe.

Celery root.
          I thought you might like me to share: Peel and cut into rough cubes the potatoes and the celery root, put into a sauce pan and cover with milk, bring to a light bubbling and let simmer for about 20 minutes -- it depends upon the size of the morsels of course -- then simply mash the whole thing and add a little salt and pepper to taste. The procedure can be executed in a blender, but today's were hand mashed so the consistency was delightfully rustic, read deliciously lumpy.

          At the moment have no idea what will be on the calendar for next week, but I promise it will be full. I just wanted to wish you a lovely Sunday.

9 comments:

Your French Buyer said...

Chicago weather is right now for comfort food...and mashed potatoes rule for comfort. Great to add some jazz with your celery root.
Thanks

Lost in Provence said...

Can you believe that I have been living in France for eleven years and somehow had never had celery root until the past holidays? It was a puree with truffle (and oops it was from Picard) and I am so sold on it now!

Wishing you a lovely Sunday, Tish.

mette said...

Finally a recipe that sounds so simple, that even I could do it ; )!
But - the flowers out in January, what if it gets/ or does it get real cold?

Amelia said...

Icicles hanging from the roof, snow piling on the ground, comfort food is the rule for the day. Those yellow and orange pansies are like sunshine in a pot. A very lovely Sunday to you too!

BigLittleWolf said...

And a lovely Sunday to you as well.

I've never cooked with celery root, though we've been having homemade soups of all sorts nearly daily around here. Healthy and delicious, and so easy to make.

Last night - a concoction that included dill, parsley, potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms - divine!

(But now I want to prowl the local market in search of celery root....)

Barbara Lilian said...

Celeriac can be roasted if par boiled first, it tastes like parsnips.Loved to see all the orange pansies together, I usually take them out of the tray when I'm buying them, but together they look fab. I;m sure your porch looks like sunshine.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Now there's a vegetable I have never tried...
those apricot yellow pansies would certainly be a cheery sight with rain and gloomy skies.
I buy that same shade in primulas as they are the only primula that has scent. Honest!
Enjoy your Sunday.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Orange pansies are crowded into my stone planters. Such a perfectly happy flower, even on wintry days!
xoxo,
p

Worthington said...

I love those cheerful pansies. They are so sweet and hardy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...