Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Niche Is Born

A selection of "NailMatic" polish colors.     
          Have you ever marveled at the brilliance of an idea that seems in the realization so obvious while at the same time wondering, "How in the world did someone think of something so clever"? I'm in marvel mode.
         
      


















           Working off of the fact that nail polish is one of the most stolen items in stores throughout the world, the problem posed was simple: How do we prevent the thefts? The solutions were probably myriad, including that little thingie that makes a product set off alarms as one walks out the shop door, but some genius mind had a better idea, Le Distributeur de Vernis a L'Ongle or a nail polish vending machine.

          Le Distributeur de Vernis will debut just in time for the holidays. How brilliant is that? The first will be inaugurated at Citadium, a store in the 9eme arrondissement in Paris. Next year they will be popping up everyplace one could imagine (or not) throughout the country. The inventors are envisioning, railway platforms, movie theaters, stores (obviously), airports -- I supposed just about anywhere.
Colors through a looking-glass. . .
          For the moment the machines offer 63 colors. Each bottle is priced at an affordable five Euros and a box of seven is 30 Euros. The machine accepts credit cards and cash. I tried making telephone calls to discover the brand, but to no avail. I did learn that the products are 3 Free which means they do not contain formaldehyde, toluene or DBP.

          The drawback to the instant gratification of the vending vernis is the pesky detail that so many of us appreciate, i.e. try-before-we-buy. Also, unlike a candy bar or a soft drink (or a bottle of water) with which we are familiar we would be selecting our polish from behind a window. It's a choice.

          My imagination suggests that in the not too distant future -- let the concept perform a free market test -- mid-priced brands will probably like a piece of the action.

9 comments:

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

If nothing else - and I generally like to "try before I buy" - the machine looks very cool. I guess it would do well at an airport just after discovering that I've forgotten to pack my nail varnish. Knowing that at even if the colour isn't 100% at least it only cost 5Euros does help. Great idea I think! xo

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I think the machine idea is brilliant..you can still have a few samples available...but really the machine would help retailers protect their product. So sad that shoplifting creates so many problems for the business world...razors and blades have really been a challenge to protect...seems like every store does it a different way.

hopflower said...

Good idea. They could provide samples in front from which to try them,thus solving the behind the glass problem. But of course, that is provided someone does not take them.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I'm not a risk taker and I do like to try it before I buy it so I'd avoid this vending machine.
I remember the first time I went into Saks and all the merchandise was in glass cases or behind the counter so one had to ask to see it and be served by a SA.
I was intimidated by this but my husband pointed out that they would reduce theft and if you had to ask the price you could not afford it therefore weeding out the "Looky Loos!

BigLittleWolf said...

Quite interesting! I wonder if it will catch on...

I don't mind taking a chance with a few dollars... But more than that? Definitely a "try before you buy" customer...

Elizabeth Eiffel said...

A clever idea, but such a pity that there is a necessity for such a vending machines. 5 euros is not a large investment. Warm regards

Karen Albert said...

It is a cool idea, yet yes a sad statement on society.

2012 Artists Series,
xoxo
Karena

mette said...

Feeling pretty much the same as Hostess.
Not very interested in these " machines ", though stuff disappearing is a problem for shops.
And it´s us = normal customers, who pay for the thefts.

This is Belgium said...

also i wonder whether this will work and catch on...
like many, I like to try !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...