Monday, September 17, 2012

Take Two Aspirin ...




Ed. Note: Once again, my darling Marsi, has something fun and fascinating to tell us, another one of those, "who knew(?)" value-added posts she so beautifully writes.

 I suspect my dermatologist would approve. 


I love aspirin.

It's a miracle worker for headaches, body aches, fevers, hangovers. It's a blood thinner, cuts your risk of certain types of cancers, and can even save your life when you're having a cardiac event. I love that it's cheap, effective, and can be found everywhere. But did you know that you can also use this brilliant little workhorse as a facial mask? Let me explain.



Aspirin a concentrated source of salicylic acid -- which skincare nerds in the crowd may recognize as beta hydroxy acid. Beta hydroxy acid is a gentle exfoliant that works in the deep layers of the skin to "unglue" dead cells that lead to clogged pores and dullness. It appears in anti-aging and acne treatments to bring radiance and clarity to the complexion.



But if you have aspirin in your medicine cabinet, you can experience that radiance and clarity right now, without even buying another skincare product. You'll need:
  • 5-6 plain, uncoated (non-enteric, that is) aspirin tablets
  • A few drops of water (I like rosewater, which is such a lovely toner)
  • A dab of something to bind the aspirin to your skin, such as honey, aloe vera, or plain yogurt
Dissolve the aspirin in the palm of your hand with water. Add your binder and mix into a thin paste. Apply to your skin, lie down on your bed with your feet up the wall, close your eyes, and dream of Paris for 10 minutes.























(You can really cover a lot of territory in 10 minutes if you set your mind to it!)

Remove the mask with a damp cloth, and finish with your serum and/or moisturizer as usual.

Voilà. Smooth, impossibly soft skin ... for pennies! It's one of the very best, and certainly least expensive, beauty tips I've ever learned. Try it; I'd love to know what you think.

20 comments:

Sandy @ You May Be Wandering said...

Note to self - buy some aspirin! The legs up the wall and 10 minutes thinking of Paris would be wonderfully relaxing. The pictures of Paris are lovely!

BigLittleWolf said...

I would never have thought of this! Brilliant!

And the "lie down and dream of Paris for 10 minutes"... that alone, would work wonders.

Could we extend that to a half hour?

:-)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh just thinking about Paris makes me feel younger!
Aspirin who knew, thanks Marsi!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

But if you are allergic to aspirin......... Diane

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Oh how I wish I could walk every day in Paris...I would enjoy it more than my little Texas neighborhood. I am not complaining...just looking at your pictures and dreaming of what those walks would look like!

Beadboard UpCountry said...

On my way to the drugstore NOW>>>>
Maryanne xo

Anonymous said...

Aspirin is a serious drug that should not be taken willy-nilly and would probably not even be approved for over the counter if it were discovered today. I am currently on aspirin therapy for blood thinning per my doctor and I bruise quite easily now. This should tell people something. Aspirin has a number of effects on the body. Applying copious amounts of dissolved aspirin to the skin may not be a good idea as drugs are absorbed through the skin.
Self-medicating can be very dangerous.
Sheila

ELS said...

Those photographs are utterly beautiful, what a gorgeous treat on a damp and rainy night..

ELS

California Girl said...

I just spent $89 on several skin products online & it's too late to cancel the order. wah.

Gracie's Mom said...

Tish,

I love your photo's every one is just so beautiful!

Cindy

webb said...

Definitely going totry this. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Marsha said...

In the scientific spirit, I have now tried this on half my face, and in an hour or two I will examine both sides to see if I can discern a difference (I washed the whole face before treatment, and applied serum to both sides afterwards, so the only variable is the treatment). But regardless of the outcome, I have very much enjoyed the legs-up reverie on my favorite city, and will definitely repeat that part of the procedure!

kabayoz said...

As simple as a six aspirins facial... I can't wait to try it. And if it doesn't work, I'll have toned legs and Paris will still be #1 City on my list. Thank you Marsi!

Marsha said...

As I promised, my report on the half-face experiment: the next morning, I do seem to detect slightly softer skin on the experimental side, enough to merit another trial. And it's kind of fun!

Karena said...

I love beauty tips I would never have thought of!! The Paris images are plenty to soothe my soul!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Young at Heart said...

ok I'm in........we'll see what happens!!

mette said...

Interesting. Might try the trick some time.
I´ve heard, ( from a professional ), that actually aspirin should be added to tap water, due to it´s health benefits.
I take a cardio-aspirin ( just in case ) daily. It does cause me bruises, but I´m used to them.

Lorrie Orr said...

Great idea. And those photos of Paris, sigh.

Sarah said...

Such a great sounding face mask. I knew it was great to dissolve and put on the odd pimple or two for a break out but I will definitely try the whole mask. Thank you.

josina said...

wow loved this Tish, I will try it. What is a good nigh cream? I use Nuxe creme prodigieuse, but after my marathpn § week greek beach holdiay skin needsrecovery!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...