Monday, September 24, 2012

Magnificent Obsession: Early Fall Edition


The Flatirons in Boulder, Colorado, my hometown.
Ed. Note: As usual, I agree completely with my darling Marsi. Fall is the best time of the year. Her post today, does put one in the mood. I wish I knew how to knit something other than a long, long, long scarf. Oh, yes: long and narrow.


Finally, my favorite time of year: fall!


As if cooler temperatures, crystal blue skies, and cozier clothing aren't enough on their own to make this time of year such a delicious treat for me, here are a few more things I've been enjoying this month.


L'Oreal Clean Artiste Eye Makeup Remover


It recently dawned on me that you don't actually have to wear waterproof eye makeup to justify using a waterproof eye makeup remover. Clean Artiste removes every last smudge of my eye pencil and mascara -- without leaving an oily residue in their place. It's also safe for my contact lenses and costs about five bucks. What a revelation.


Knitting Revisited


I learned to knit ten years ago, then spent the next seven years obsessed with making socks, scarves, and hats. Then ... nothing ... nothing much at all for the past three years. On Saturday, I happened upon this pattern (free!) and felt that familiar old tickle in my fingertips. I picked up a skein of worsted-weight merino wool in a glorious shade of navy and cast on. I had no idea how much I've missed the simple, Zen-like pleasure of knitting ... the tactile enjoyment of working with lovely yarn, the satisfaction of creating something beautiful by hand, one stitch at a time.


Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 


After fighting the inflammatory redness that even a low dose of Retin-A one night a week produces on my face, I've finally accepted that it's just not for me. I've gone back to Advanced Night Repair, the old standby of my teens and twenties. (Whoever said "You can't go home again"?) (Oh, right. Thomas Wolfe. Well, he was wrong!)

I was browsing the archives of Into the Gloss, my favorite beauty blog, the other day and was pleased to see Advanced Night Repair mentioned as a favorite of Lili Barbery-Coulon, former Vogue Paris beauty editor. (Here's her interview, by the way. Don't you love to know what products the experts use?) Advanced Night Repair is one of those tried-and-true products that doesn't get much fanfare anymore, but still gets the job done.

It feels calming, nourishing, skin-plumping, and refreshing, and really boosts the hydration level I get with my Eucerin Hyaluron-Filler smoothed over top. (Plus, I received a gift with purchase and had totally forgotten how much fun those little extras can be.)

J.Crew French Hens Scarf

I don't usually go for prints, but once this featherweight wool scarf at J.Crew caught my eye, I couldn't get it out of my mind. From a distance, it looks like white polka dots on a navy background. Close up, you realize the dots are adorable little French hens -- "French," because they're wearing red berets and striped shirts. Just the right dash of whimsy.


Whole Foods Tonic Water


I'm drinking four ounces of tonic water every night before bed for my leg cramps, and it really seems to help. Whole Foods' 365 brand of tonic water is made with cane sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. It's helped a lot -- even without the vodka and lime.

(Many thanks, by the way, to everyone who responded with suggestions about alleviating leg cramps. For now, I'm stretching my calves and drinking a little tonic water every night, but soon I'll be talking to my doctor during my annual exam later this fall. Maybe she'll suggest bloodwork to see what exactly is afoot.)

What's been new on your radar the last few weeks? Any new books or movies you've loved, a new wardrobe purchase putting some spring in your step, a great cosmetics or skincare discovery, or ... ? Do tell.

21 comments:

The enchanted home said...

I have to tell my sister in law about the tonic water, she too suffers from leg cramps..love Whole Foods, I could go there everyday!
And love my scarves, such a simple way to dress up any outfit.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

The scarf is so cute! I haven't thought of Estee Lauder in years...glad to see it is still around.

mette said...

I like the small beanie!
As to cosmetic tips, I´m into Chanel´s Extra shine nail laquer ( colorless ).
Tired of all the colored ones.

Karena said...

Tish would you teach me to knit? I so admire anyone who has the talent to make wonderful hats and scarves!

Love the scarf!

You may have mentioned this before; where can Americans find the Eucerin Filler Cream. My CVS has Eucerin everything except that product!

xoxo,
Karena
2012 Artist Series

bisbee said...

I had to buy that French Hen scarf from J Crew - waiting for it to get cool enough for me to wear it!

Sandy @ You May Be Wandering said...

The French Hen scarf is so much fun - I must see if they have it at the store near me!

I wanted to tell you I mentioned you in my post today on packing ala French women. You can check it out at www.youmaybewandering.com

Love your blog!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The French hen scarf is charming and adds a little whimsy.
I'd like to know where you got the pattern for the hat as I knit and love to have a project on the go in the fall and winter. That one would knit up quickly and be a great gift for some people on my Xmas list...

Kathy Leeds said...

I'm in the middle of knitting a blanket - which I put away in the summer, when I don't like to knit - anyway, soon time to pick that up again, and yes, I find knitting a form of meditation for me.

My cousin got me the J.Crew French Hen sweater for my birthday, and I really love it - not my usual thing, but it's cheery, and I think I'll enjoy it.

Janet Ursel said...

Marsi, when I was pregnant and got leg cramps, my doctor told me it was insufficient calcium. So calcium supplements or more calcium in my diet was the way to go. And curling my toes upward was how to alleviate the cramps when I was in the middle of them. Your mileage may vary...

Nora Fab said...

Love the scarf. Lately I have an obsession with animal-printed: zebras, elephants, horses, you name it. Hens are however missing from my zoo yet.

Nora

http://notenora.blogspot.com

California Girl said...

I've used EL Advanced Night Repair Serum off and on for years. I keep experimenting with other things but, you're right, it really does a great job. My mother was buying EL when I was a teenager and continued so til her death at 81. She always saved the gift for me. :)

Fall is so wonderful in New England.
I'm posting Fall photographs on my other blog www.emptynestevolution.blogspot.com
if anyone wants to keep up with the color changes. I'll continue to do so til the leaves are gone.

That's Not My Age said...

I've never used Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair but everyone swears by it. And I can't wait till the J Crew London store opens.

Diana Vreeland The Eye Has To Travel is on my radar - saw a preview, it was fantastic.

Young at Heart said...

ooh I was just thingking it would be nice to stat knitting something.....certainly cold enugh!!

A Well Styled Life said...

The hat reminds me of a Jarod Flood pattern I made 3 times for Christmas presents. In his pattern the criss crosses go all the way to the top. I nearly ripped my hair out getting it just right. I've given up on Retin A also. Makes me red as a lobster.

BigLittleWolf said...

I had a long long long day, capped off by an evening Board meeting I had to attend in clothing that was comfy but still professional. All black pants / jacket / top, and... drum roll please... when it was time for the meeting, I put on one of my fave scarves I'd tucked in a bag - a soft small print in neutral tones.

It perked me up! And a scarf always makes me feel more polished. (To think, I never wore scarves until I went to France for the first time!)

vicki archer said...

I have often used the Estee Lauder Advanced Nght Repair serum but have recently found the new YSL to be even better... Try it, I think you will love it... In Europe it's called 'Forever Young'... and it comes in a purple bottle... It's fab... xv

Tish Jett said...

Karena, the Eucerin Hyaluron-Filler isn't sold in American stores. You can get it via Amazon, or if you have a friend traveling to Europe or Canada, you could ask them. It's unfortunate we can't get it here because it's such an elegant, effective cream, and so affordable.

Hostess, the link for the pattern is above in red, but I also emailed you with it. Hope you got it.

As always, thank you, all, for reading!

Amities,
Marsi

Carol said...

Marsi, l haven't picked up knitting needles since l was about 18. You have made me want to rediscover the lovely, calming pastime once again..

Kimberly said...

Somehow, I seem to end up only with scarves that have prints, as many that I see in solid colors tend to be too dull or muted. If someone could recommend brands that have good quality (silk or cashmere) scarves in rich, saturated single colors, that would be most appreciated!

kabayoz said...

I learned how to knit from my college roommate while living in the dorm, of all places. The first thing she taught me was to knit a hat which I still have to this day. Becky was and still is a tall leggy blue eye blonde from Scottsdale, Arizona. I can still hear the senior resident on the intercom "Becky, you have a visitor at the lounge", and her yelling back "tell him to wait, I'm showing....how to knit a hat".

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Thrilled to know you're knitting!!
I am not alone.
xo,
p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...