Monday, August 27, 2012

Apples and Oranges





Ed. Note: She has returned, my darling Marsi, with more value-added -- write down in a special notebook and save -- advice. When you get to the part about oranges, I can assure you it works. Must try the "apples" if I can find the ones she's talking about in France. . .

             You know me, devoted to bringing you the latest bits and bobs that have enriched my life, and hoping they might enrich yours as well. This week is no exception, with the bits and bobs coming at you in the form of apples and oranges.

First, your "apple."

Did you know you can clean suede without ruining it?

I have this beautiful little pair of Repetto ballet flats, fuchsia goat suede with a little black patent leather "mask" at the toe.

I'd worn them to death for about 18 solid months ... and then had to stop because they'd become too dirty for me to wear without embarrassing myself.

What does this have to do with apples? you're wondering.

Well, I'll tell you. Apple Brands (see? there it is!) makes a Suede and Nubuck Cleaner that completely lifted the schmutz from my delicate little shoes and left no stains or water marks behind.



As I laid out my shoes, cleaning cloths, sponge, a bowl of water, and this cleanser, I have to admit that I was nervous that I was about to ruin my very cutest shoes. On the other hand, they were too dirty to keep wearing, so what did I have to lose?

As it turned out, nothing! As I dabbed and blotted the diluted cleanser into the suede, I could see the dirt coming off, and when I woke up the next morning, the cleanser had dried without a trace. A quick brush lifted the nap, and I was good to go. What a wonderful discovery!

And now for your "orange" -- or I should say, orange blossom.



Victoria Frolova writes Bois de Jasmin, the best perfume blog on the Internet. She works in professional perfumery, which gives her an unparalleled technical background, and she has an evocative, haunting way of writing about fragrance that's a pleasure to read.

A couple of days ago, she wrote about Café Blanc, a beautiful Lebanese orange blossom drink I've been enjoying nightly ever since. It's so simple to make, and the taste and smell is gorgeous. According to Tish, orange blossom water has a soporific effect that, when taken at bedtime, will help you gear down and nod off.



One cup of hot water + 1 tablespoon orange blossom water.  
Add a touch of honey if you wish. 
Orange blossom water is very easy to find at Whole Foods (near the vanilla extract), Middle Eastern and Indian grocery shops, and some spice shops.

9 comments:

BigLittleWolf said...

Two very useful tidbits! (I was shaking my head over suede shoes just this weekend, and wondering what to try...)

Helpful! Thank you!

sisty said...

I want one of each right now!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

So glad to find out about the cleanser!! I always spray my suede shoes with Scotchguard and that seems to help as well! Have a great week...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Love the sound of the blossom water...
it sounds soothing just thinking about the orange aroma.
Salvaging suede shoes must feel wonderful...
I have steered clear of them for fear of stains. Great to know there's a product out there to restore their look.
Thanks Marsi

Joni said...

Thanks for the great info, Marsi! I happened to be making a trip to Whole Foods this morning so I picked up some of the orange blossom water. I will definitely be making this lovely sounding drink.

kabayoz said...

Love the bits and bobs for today, Marsi. Promise NOT to put a drop of vodka no matter how very tiny, in with the orange blossom water.

eula_w said...

Hi. Is Victoria Frolova a perfume for men or women? Thanks! :)

women pheromones

Carol said...

The orange blossom water drink sounds gorgeous Marsi, thank you.

Maryl said...

Thanks for the tip on the suede cleaner. As for the orange blossom water, it's also an ingredient in a drink called a Ramos Fizz. I had it for the first time in San Francisco many years ago...very refreshing and tasty. Maybe not be for bed time but great for parties. Check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...