Saturday, August 25, 2012

A French Country Weekend



Fresh figs.

This week my new fruit of the year 2012 and the same wish to accompany it, was lush, delicious and beautiful -- they were lovely to look at and scrumptious to eat -- fresh figs.

One large is 47 calories; one small is 30. I don't even know why I mention this. Who cares? According to various food sites they get a perfect grade "A" for all their nutritional benefits.

I spied several varieties of plums so they'll definitely go on my wish list.

Just finished making two bouquets of roses, one tone-on-tone salmons and corals; the other various nuances on yellow. It's time to do some serious dead-heading on the rose bushes.

Oh yes, also found two enormous zucchinis hidden beneath several gigantic leaves in the potager. I considered putting them next to Charlotte for a photo op to give you an idea of scale as in German shepherd versus zucchini, but she didn't quite understand my intention and wanted to get away from them as quickly as possible.

Weather report: windy, pleasantly warm, huge powder puff clouds against an azure sky -- just another beautiful day.

15 comments:

Splenderosa said...

Goodness, I love beautiful, lush figs very much & yesterday at the market there were tiny boxes for around $6.00, seemed pricey to me. So happy you're having good weather, we're down into the 80's now too, with signs of Fall to come. Happy to read your own personal post, Tish...big hug, sweetie...

Anonymous said...

I'm with Charlotte, tho' I always look forward to your weekend posts :-) J.

kathy peck said...

I love all things fig, even the color.

Karena said...

Figs are so yummy and nutritious; I have found them at Trader Joes and Whole foods at sale about $4 a pound!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series

welltraveled said...

I am waiting for the big black seedless grapes of fall..YUMMY Figs not so great....

Pondside said...

I'm thinking of buying figs this weekend just to duplicate the fig and olive tapenade I enjoyed last week.

Anonymous said...

Tish, I laughed out loud at your zucchini story. We had a
German Shepherd when I was growing up, and she was surprisingly chicken hearted, too. Have a glorious weekend!

Love,
M.

Belle de Ville said...

your post remined me that here in Los Angeles we have a wonderful restaurant "Fig & Olive" that serves menus centered around these two delicious ingredients.

Enjoy your late summer figs.

Young at Heart said...

picking figs from the tree beside my room in Greece was one of favourite holiday rituals......delicious..... monsoon rain in cloud bursting down pours and forks of lightening that split the sky....not usually so biblical in the London skies!!

Anonymous said...

Adore figs--the most senuous fruit--in all forms. Tasted an incredible fig vodka when visiting LA and rediscovered it in NYC. Even my neutral lipstick is Clarins Jolie Rouge in (yes) Fig.
Thanks for the post.
Amy

kabayoz said...

Good girl Charlotte! Keep away from those gigantic zucchinis. Who knows what they were eating while hiding under those gigantic leaves.
Farmers are selling plums, peaches and pears from their farms on roadside stands and the farmers market. I'm in fruits heaven! Tish, those luscious looking figs should make your wish doubly true for this week. Happy Weekend!

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish,
I'm envious of those delicious figs. They are likely my favourite - we just had some fresh peaches from the farm today.

Have a glorious week

ann.about.town said...

My miniature dachshunds once bailed up a giant pimply squash. It was bigger than both of them put together.

Rosemary Grimm said...

Figs are an elegant fruit. I have two huge fig trees in my yard. Your post makes me appreciate them even more.

Rosemary

Pamela said...

Oh, I so long for the days when I had a fig tree in my yard. At the time, I didn't really like them fresh, but would always make up a batch of preserves. (Great on crusty bread with a variety of cheeses). Alas, now...no fig tree and the last ones I purchased were about a dollar each. I have to say I paid up and thoroughly enjoyed them...my special decadent treat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...