Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The L'eau-down




Once again, my darling Marsi is back with more of her "value-added" advice. This time she tells us how to stay cool, which I thought until today was irrelevant for us in and around Paris.


A side note on the subject of cucumbers: One summer, my friend Edith's husband delivered cucumber Smoothies to us while we were swimming in their pool. They were thick, greenish and sort of disgusting. We added some fresh mint and that helped. We did however feel exceedingly virtuous and talked about vitamins and minerals as we downed the brew.


Another value-added tip: When you've drunk your water -- as explained below -- save the cuke slices and put them on your eyes. So cool, so soothing. . .

When I was at the hair salon last week for routine scheduled maintenance, my stylist's assistant offered me a glass of iced cucumber water from a beautiful glass decanter that looked just like this.


The addition of the cucumber was so cool and refreshing, and elevated the daily task of drinking water into a pleasure.


It just goes to show you that sometimes it's the little things in life that make a huge difference.

Ever since my afternoon at the salon, I've been keeping a cucumber in a Ziploc bag in the office fridge, and each morning, I fill my half-gallon pitcher with water, a bit of ice, and a good half-dozen or so thin slices of cucumber.

Such an elegant way to beat the heat during this hottest summer on record.



Hurry up, October!




Le sigh.

I hope wherever you are, you're keeping cool as a cucumber.

17 comments:

Hotel dar-es-salam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Young at Heart said...

mmm....delicious even if it's only the wettest sunmmer here!!

sharon santoni at my french country home said...

You obviously frequent extremely up market salons my dear - cucumber water!! I'm lucky if I get offered a coffee!
xxx

Deborah Flanagan said...

I love cucumber slices in water. So refreshing. Mint water is great too. For a party this past weekend I had a large dispenser with spring water, lime slices, mint sprigs and blueberries.

Hotel dar-es-salam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BigLittleWolf said...

Cucumber water! I would never have thought of that - it looks pretty, too.

Tibs said...

It is quite warm in Budapest at the moment, I'll better add some slices of cucumber in my drink in water at the office to stay cool.
The October pics are gorgeous but I'm not quite there yet...

Lily Lemontree said...

Cucumbers you say? I will try anything to stay cool!
It was a very sticky 44 Celsius in Toronto yesterday, definitely not typically Canadian weather and it is only the middle of July! Can't imagine much more of this!
Oh October, where are you??
xo

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I enjoyed a glass of this water at the spa and they added a few raspberries for colour. Same type of container that you have in the post too.
Delicious way to hydrate and keep cool.

kabayoz said...

Hmmmm...great idea about the cucumber water but if it's going to cost me more for a wash and blowout, I'll do it at home...:) Yes, the little things make a big difference. Never thought of it, but will try.

Worthington said...

I love cucumber water. Here in the US, Elizabeth Arden's Red Door Spa does that in all of their spas. It is such a good way to hydrate the system after a treatment - esp a massage!

Bruna Araújo said...

Adorei o blog, muito lindo, amei tudo. Parabéns mesmo, vou sempre estar aqui (:

ontendency.blogspot.com

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I have a friend that always fixes he water with lemon and orange slices! I always want to mimic her and rarely do...it is a nice thought. The October pictures are almost cruel...we have out hottest months to go through before we see Oct.

Jill Ann said...

Unfortunately, where I live (Houston TX) it will still be in the 90s in October. Maybe by November I will need to wear pants and a long sleeved shirt! Sweater weather has to wait till December, usually. Sigh.

The enchanted home said...

Love the idea and its so pretty!! I have had cucumber water and its really refreshing and feels spa like....good tip!

Pamela said...

Cucumber water sounds so refreshing...especially here in the Texas heat. And on a side note...something I learned only this year from a dear friend who was kind enough to share cucumbers from his garden. If you want to keep your cucumbers fresh in the fridge, put them in a ziploc and add a bit of water in the bottom of the bag before sealing. They will stay fresh and crisp for at least two weeks, if not longer. Thanks for the great idea for the fancy water. Now, if only I'll drink it instead of that enticing Sauvignon Blanc.

Carol said...

This looks like a terrific idea for the heat of summer, delicious and pretty !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...