Monday, July 30, 2012

Set Your DVR Tonight!


Paulina Porizkova 
"Modeling doesn't have anything to do with self-confidence.
Working off of your looks makes you
pretty much the opposite of self-confident."

Ed. Note: Sometimes I just don't know how to thank Marsi for what she brings to this blog -- in oh, so many ways, more than you know.

Today she is making me extremely jealous. I won't be able to see the television program she tells us about below. 

Thank you again, my darling Marsi for more of your "value-added."



Tonight (Monday, July 30, for those in the United States), HBO is premiering a documentary I think we'll all be keen to see. 

"About Face: Supermodels Then and Now" is a rumination on physical beauty, aging, self-awareness, and confidence, as told by some of the most famous and fabulous fashion models of the late 20th century. 

In their own words:

Marisa Berenson
"When you get older, you build something else in your core which is beyond the physical because it has to."
Jerry Hall 
"I think it's bad that we have as role models people who look scary to young children. They're cutting up their faces. Their ears have gone weird. They take fat from their bottoms and stick it in their lips so when you kiss them, you're kissing their bottom -- that's so disgusting!"
Isabella Rossalini
"Mama [Ingrid Bergman] told me once that growing old is the only way to have a long life and she'd rather have that. She didn't seem to be that affected by old age and maybe that's another reason why I don't feel that affected by it, either."
Carmen Dell'Orifice
"When I go into a casting -- which I do as little as possible these days -- and they start saying 'you're too tall' or 'you're not this,' I just leave. Simple as that."
Kim Alexis
“I can’t imagine pulling and cutting my skin. If you look at some of these actresses out in Hollywood and they’ve really messed their faces up. I haven’t even done Botox. The makeup artist will say: ‘I can tell you haven’t done Botox by the texture of your skin, because, after the Botox wears off, it changes the muscle structure of your skin composition and makes it lay different.’ I’ve not done anything of it."


The film includes interviews with Christie Brinkley, China Machado, Beverly Johnson, Dayle Haddon, Christy Turlington Burns, and Cheryl Tiegs, among others. Check your local listings and tune in tonight!

18 comments:

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Could not agree with their comments more. Some people today are doing scary things even in their 20s to look younger and smaller. Give me a few wrinkles any day, I earned them!

Must watch this show, thank you for the information.

Elizabeth

BigLittleWolf said...

SO much prefer to see women showing age than women looking plastic and unrecognizable.

This would be an interesting series for many of us to see I think, in part because we've watched these women at many points in our lives, as they've been in the public eye. (But I don't have HBO!)

Thanks for this post, Marsi. Cool.

myletterstoemily said...

wow. this makes me afraid to do anything
to my face.

A Well Styled Life said...

Sadly I have friends who have done these things to their faces. Is it an American phenomenon?

tiffany rose said...

These ladies have beauty and brains. I wish I had HBO, I'd love to see the program.

That's Not My Age said...

I think Isabella Rossellini is fabulous. I read about this documentary when I was in New York & am desperate to see it - though not sure when it's going to arrive in the UK. Does anyone else know?!

Lost in Provence said...

Arrgh! I can't even watch the video link. I would LOVE to see this documentary at some point. Love all of these ladies and they are as smart as they are physically beautiful.

Mademoiselle Poirot said...

Would love to see this as it sounds really interesting. Unfortunately I don't have HBO here... It must be tough to grow old when such a large part of your life was about your looks. In that respect I guess it's easier to grow older for "normal" people who aren't constantly scrutinised about their looks... xo

Katherine said...

Great post. I especially liked the comment from Paulina - and the truth is that you don't have to be a model to adapt that thought.
Take time to take care, but be your beautiful self.

mette said...

What these ladies pictured say is ok and true, I don´t believe everyone is being totally honest.
Take a close look on them.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I just tweeted your link...we should all give this a watch and make our own discerning decisions!

Karena said...

I applaud all of these women and hope their confidence and positive attitudes will affect many women who see this.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

KaReN EiLeeN said...

Love Love Love. Hooray for gray!!

Awakening my Wardrobe said...

Thank you for sharing this great post. I wish that I had HBO. I was never a huge Jerry Hall fan, but after reading her quote and seeing how beautiful yet natural she looks I'm impressed. It's inspiring to see "real women" celebrities rather than those who have had their features manipulated by artificial procedures.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I'm sitting here now, with Edward asleep on my feet, awaiting the start of this program. Should be quite interesting. I do love Paulina's philosophy so.
xo,
p

Carol said...

this sounds like riveting viewing. l will have to see if l can find a copy on DVD.
What fabulous attitudes they have toward beauty and aging.

Jean S said...

If you missed the show, you can hear the Fresh Air interview with Beverly Johnson, Carol Alt, and the director. Interesting tidbit: He, based on his extensive work as a photographer, said that he can always tell when someone has had work done.

Anonymous said...

Mette said:

"What these ladies pictured say is ok and true, I dont believe everyone is being totally honest. Take a close look on them."

The article did not highlight another quote by Carmen dell'Orefice (who is one of my idols, BTW) from this same HBO documentary, where she said,

"If you had the ceiling falling down in your living room, would you not go and have it repaired?"

Carmen's livelihood depends on her looks. She has had to keep modeling due to losing her life savings in the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme. In her shoes, I would do the same. Many of the people interviewed for this documentary are not working models any more. I can completely understand the (implied) need for cosmetic tweaks in an industry where looks are everything.

That said, I'm not a model. I would not have cosmetic surgery personally, but I make the most of the assets I do have. I've taken excellent care of myself over the course of my adult life in terms of diet and exercise and skin care. I no longer look 25, but I still look darn good at age 56, and I have confidence that I certainly didn't have when I was younger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...