Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Au Nom de la Rose



Ed. Note: The adorable and talented Heather Robinson from Lost In Arles is back today sharing one of her secret pleasures. If you're visiting France and looking for that elusive "perfect gift" I think Heather and I would agree this is it.

I push my face deep into my grocery store roses. They make me smile so that my teeth tap the petals. Outside it is so hot that it smells of smoke. Yes, this is the south of France and summer is indeed upon us. And upon my skin. Thank goodness for roses and I am not just talking about of the hothouse variety. It began with a gift. 


My friend Claire placed a beribboned box on my plate while we were waiting for our Pad Thai. "Pour toi." She said simply with her impish grin. Inside were Pains de Rose, little Aleppo olive and laurel oil soaps that had the perfume punch of a garden and the appearance of Turkish delight straight out of Narnia.

Claire knows that I have ah-hem, sensitive skin. As in crackled broken down red-head skin that even la pharmacie and le docteur regard with a Gallic shrug. This soap has been such a blessing that I bought it in the shower-ready heart-shaped version as well as their Damask Rose Oil. And yes, both live up to their promises of leaving even my skin "supple et tonique".  A long-time believer in Bioderma’s Crealine H2O, I have even, gasp, used the products on my face with wonderful results. The rose oil sooths my flip-flopped feet and frizzy ends, the aroma my frazzled nerves.

Created by Tadé Pays du Levant, the products are 100% natural and ecological. The entire rose line is made in Syria under guaranteed ethical conditions, so that a purchase can  perhaps do a tiny bit of good during such a moment of horrific chaos. 

They are also unbelievably reasonable with each item being well under 10 euros. Aleppo's qualities were supposedly adored by the likes of the Queen of Sheba and Cleopatra. If it is good enough for them...well, then perhaps it is time to stop smelling the roses and start clinking the rosé!

10 comments:

Laura said...

Sigh...
I want to be where you are!

I loved your description of smelling the roses-
"They make me smile so that my teeth tap the petals."

Wonderful image-

Have a great week-

Laura
White Spray Paint

Villette said...

Instant 'want.'

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift. I love those Middle Eastern/hammam scents.

Amities,
Marsi

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

There's just something about roses!

BigLittleWolf said...

How lovely. The right fragrance can be a deeply sensual experience. Every now and then, the scent of rose can be transporting...

Delicious post, Heather!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Enchanting and intoxicating are the first two words that come to mind....

Annette said...

Aleppo soaps are the best. I have extremely dry skin and a close friend of mine, who lives in Normandy, gave me a gift of the soap a few years ago. I was immediately addicted. It is very expensive to import to the US but my husband buys me a year's supply every Christmas. Its my favorite gift. The soap smells so clean to me and it feels like heaven on my skin. Yes, even my face.

helen tilston said...

Hello Heather and Tish

How lovely to see you here Heather.
The product sounds fabulous and I will make a note of Aleppos and hopefully next year I shall make it to France.

Thanks for the product review

Helen xx

Carol said...

Thank you for suggesting such a lovely product. l will look them up now.
l particularly like the fact that the products are made under ethical conditions in Syria and that by purchasing we can do a small thing to help.

vicki archer said...

Must try this ... sounds totally divine and perfect... xv

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...