Thursday, January 19, 2012

Real French Pommes

Silver pommes 
Yes, they are real apples (pommes) dipped in a silvery wax that makes them gleam.   Aren't they beautiful?

They're part of my new year's resolution to start a post holiday decorating tradition. As in I've decided to institute an unexpected post holiday decorating touch, starting this year. I bought my apples at yet another of the many divine boutiques in the town near us. When I first saw them I thought they were wax apples -- which they are and they aren't.

The owner of the boutique explained she found them at a small supplier and she too fell in love with them. I asked her how long they would survive. She said she had no idea, noting that real pommes shrivel up and ultimately rot away. Will that happen to these or will they be protected by the wax?

"I really don't know," she said.

"Could you find out maybe?" I asked.

"I'll try," she said.

I'll let you know.

Tomorrow I'll tell you about happiness from the French point of view. And, curiously, even with such natural resources as wine, champagne (yes, I know champagne is wine), cheese, perfume, sublime lingerie, and silver apples, they're not that happy.

A demain mes trés, trés, trés chers amis.

14 comments:

Cheryl said...

The silver apples are beautiful. I hope I remember them for next year. Pinning them to my holiday board. That might help!

kathy peck said...

They're beautiful. I've always kept a large, old, wooden bowl with apples in it as a decoration in my home - it began in college.
My first painting was of this bowl with apples. When we've moved, it's one of the first things I do - set that up. It makes me feel I'm home.

déjà pseu said...

Those are so lovely and unusual! I hope they last for a while, at least.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

The apples are beautiful, but I especially like the idea of a post holiday decorating tradition...I am going to look this weekend for something to do at my house!

BigLittleWolf said...

I can see why you fell in love with these! They're gorgeous.

Strange how a simple object, or several in a collection (apples in a bowl), can be exquisitely beautiful.

I often keep an unadorned white bowl filled with green apples (Granny Smith) on my table. I find it stark and stunning.

Here's to more about those pommes!

Gretchen said...

Silver anything makes me happy so these are wonderful. Especially if they exude that lovely apple scent as well. Looking forward to hearing about the French lack of happiness, which I think will be bittersweet. Particularly as a hit of champagne, perfume, Chantelle lingerie, or a macaron is what I rely on for a happiness boost...

Gretchen said...

Oh, and cheese. As my diet apparently subsists on cheese ( my breakfast this morning was an apple with a few slices of Raclette to go with my tea), I cannot imagine why someone wouldn't swoon with joy with access to the delights of France. Send it my way, I say, and the giving will make them happy!!

Catherine Robinson said...

Beautiful silver apples...I'm interested to know how long they will survive...they look fab!
Catherine
xx

Joni said...

Something so simple but quite lovely and elegant. Love! I hope they last a while.

Mary said...

Those are lovely! Silver is gorgeous. There are, believe it or not, times when i like it better than gold! And this is one of those times. Silver is so much more wintery..

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Oh I hope the wax protects them and that they last, they are gorgeous. Diane

Today's Treasure by Jen said...

I just love a little something special on display after all the holiday "stuff" is tucked away and the days are dark and gray. Silvered apples... perfect. Also love your silver basket. Simple and stunning! ~Jen

Carol said...

Your silver apples look gorgeous sitting there in their lovely silver dish.

l do hope they have ' longevity genes '

Susan Tiner said...

Yes, they are beautiful. I'll be curious what you learn about their longevity.

The French are not happy? Off to read the next post :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...