Saturday, January 28, 2012

A French Country Weekend

One small fennel. . .
some cabbage. . .

Vegetable soup is simmering in the kitchen with homemade chicken stock as the base and the fresh vegetables from yesterday's market: carrots, baby navet (turnips), leeks, celery, one onion pierced with cloves,  a small bulb of fennel, a handful or two of haricot verts, some cabbage and a bouquet garni. It should be good.


Next on the agenda, arrange the two bunches of coral tulips purchased yesterday.


And finally, I plan to head out to see if I can find some red anemones. Last week I had an all white bouquet, this week I would like one in red. If I can find that luscious purple-y blue, I'll snap them up.

I'll show you the bouquets next week.

Weather report: Cold -- really cold -- bright, cheery, morale-lifting sunshine, early morning frost. Lovely.

A demain mes trés, trés, trés chers ami for the weekly round up which will be exceptionally, particularly interesting.

14 comments:

déjà pseu said...

The soup sounds wonderful. There's nothing like the wonderful smell of soup simmering on the stove. Bon weekend!

kathy peck said...

All sounds so cozy, and I'm seriously addicted to fennel.

Spiral Style said...

Sounds magnificent. I think I can smell the soup.

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish,I can almost get the scent from your pot of soup and I hope you find those windflowers in red.
Happy days
Helen xx

Class factotum said...

I have daffodils on my counter and grilled fennel for lunch!

J. Beaudet said...

Your soup sounds yummy and perfect for your cold weather.
Jenniferxx

BigLittleWolf said...

O les fleurs sont ravissantes !

It's a soup day around here as well... un gentil normand qui prépare une soupe aux légumes - et c'est délicieux...

No "tripes à la mode de Caen" - thankfully. (Not my thing.)

Bon weekend, Tish!

Debora said...

You've inspired me to go out and buy some fresh flowers. They are such a sweet luxury this time of year!

Carol said...

Soup sounds wonderful.

It's a scorching day here in Oz and a delicious bowl of soup will be months away !

vicki archer said...

Perfection... xv

la fourchette said...

Miam! One of my favorite soups to make...and eat! I call that particular soup - full of fresh seasonal veggies - Brush Your Colon Soup. 'nuff said. {At least that's what I call it among family and friends! ;}

Splenderosa said...

You've inspired me as well. Nothing I love more than homemade soups. And, the photo of the cabbage is beautiful. When I make soups the base is cabbage. When cooked down in your base stock it doesn't taste like cabbage at all and adds a wonderful quality to the entire mixture. Sending love, Tish....

Beryl said...

Your soup sounds wonderful. I am so jealous of you finding fresh fennel.

Elizabeth Eiffel said...

Ahh, what a lifestyle!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...