Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Weekend In The Country

Mine are prettier, frothier. You'll see.

By taste and temperament, I'm a minimalist. (Usually.)

One couldn't say that my holiday decorations are simple necessarily, but they are never a riot of color. I most definitely appreciate that approach chez mes amis, but not chez nous. Our tree is decorated with white lights only, silver and clear glass balls and then our family collection of objects from all over the world are mixed in to break the decorator/decorator ambiance and help us recall wonderful memories.

Oh, yes, nothing blinks -- ever, unless something short circuits.

Our decoration in general (I'm veering off subject for a moment), with one exception, our tiny library, is a "riot" of beige on beige on beige thus permitting the addition of accessories of color (or not) as the spirit moves.

More on the subject next weekend, but this is what I have planned for the front porch.



1.) Paint the doors -- an annual holiday ritual -- to repair the dog scratches.

(I know, I know, they are the sweetest, most well-behaved girls, but somehow we have never been able to drill this discipline into their heads.)



2.) White pansies are already planted in the boxes.

3.) Extra wood in a large basket for quick access to keep the fireplace softly glowing through the evening.

4.) Plain pine wreaths strung with tiny battery operated white bee lights. This is a first, we'll see how that works out. I've never woven lights into wreaths before and I still must figure out how to hide the box with the batteries.

A demain for the weekly line-up.

13 comments:

Mouse said...

sounds perfect

déjà pseu said...

Your bee lights sound amazing. I miss those old tree lights with the big colored bulbs (yes, that got warm and probably started a lot of fires, but still...)

LPC said...

Tish, I'm with you. I even told my team in the office that we had to use white lights and white and silver artifacts in the decorating competition.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I agree that the simpler natural touches give the most enjoyments over the season...
what colour will you be painting the doors?

Karena said...

Tish I love simple elegance and a limited color palette in holiday decor these days! Beautiful!

Please come visit my site for the 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways.Very special gifts! (some are international) You will love them!

xoxo

Karena
Art by Karena

la fourchette said...

Oh I knew I liked you! White lights with silver and glass, plain green wreaths and beige on beige. What's not to like about that?! Sounds like la vie chez moi! (Even my little creche is populated by unpainted plain terre cotta figures.)

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Sounds wonderful...I am certain it is just right!

frenchimmersion said...

I too have lights that don't clignote. Is it possible to actually get them in france? Not for all my looking so I have shocked everyone by ordering beautiful warm white opaque popsicle (globe) lights from the UK. My first diversion from buying all things french. You must post your tree, I would love to see it!

Northmoon said...

Sounds very elegant and beautiful.

If you ever find a way to teach the dogs to bark quietly instead of scratching the door, please let me know.

NotesFromAbroad said...

My decorating is minimal by necessity.
It is Summer ... there are no real Christmas trees here.
I usually have white poinsettias and a little brass Christmas tree with crystals hanging off of it, for my decorations.
I miss my Northeast US Christmas times !
besitos, C

Design Cracker said...

Oh Tish it`s such a treat catching up with you again!! Your writing so engaging and alive.I dont feel like just a reader. I participate in your blog somehow. Thank you , loving it! keep up the remarkable work
Deborah.
(so nice to see you again)

John Mulu said...

This thread has great information on shopping. A friend of mine told me about this cool app that allows you to get instant feedback from your Facebook friends on whether you should buy something or not (for themselves or as a gift). Here's the link - I think the app is coming out around Black Friday but you can sign up now:
http://bit.ly/sibifm

Margret Cornell said...

I think it is very pretty and light ..I am turning into burlap like Christmas ...so far I mixed red green and burlap ...and am starting to like it.I live in Fla , lived in Poland, Germany before ...
love your writing
margret from www.tablesdeparis.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...