Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Weekend In The Country

A perfect white (winter) pansy.

After a recent discovery, I will be heading out today to buy 40 white pansy plants. I had no idea that, when slightly protected from the elements, on a front porch for example, they bloom throughout the winter. Did you know that?

A friend told me she always plants them in November and they take her through until spring. It's not that I didn't believe her exactly, but I had my doubts. (I've been honest in this space with you about my gardening skills.) I questioned several serious gardener friends who confirmed her story.


I plan on uprooting the pitiful looking straggles of lavender in the two large boxes on our front porch and replacing them with the white pansies -- 20 in each box. If the result meets my expectations, I'll take a picture and show you.

Delicious cepes.

Yesterday a friend gave me a large box of cepes she and her husband found in the Rambouillet forrest, so gently cleaning them is on my to-do list before preparing them with a tiny morsel of butter, a tablespoon of oil and garlic. I'll probably make an omelette with them tonight.

After that, off to market to buy vegetables for our weekly winter soup.

And, that's as glamourous as it gets chez nous.

I hope you are having and will have a lovely, happy weekend.

18 comments:

Mouse said...

personally, I find cepes quite glamorous and if a friend had given me a basket of them I'd be quite content...

happy weekend

A-Dubs said...

Winter pansies?! I look forward to seeing/reading the verdict in this case.

Enjoy your lovely cepes and winter soup. If only life chez moi were even a jot as glamorous as it is chez vous!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

We have pansies in our garden all winter in the mountains. They do extremely well, especially if you pinch off the dead blooms. I have found they bloom more profusely if you do. A little snow doesn't seem to bother them either.

Now for the cepes.....what a fabulous friend you have. Ooh, la, la.
Sam

LPC said...

White pansies seem ever so glamorous to me:).

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I will be anticipating your winter pansy report...they look beautiful and I am the same type of gardner as you...I need to keep it simple and do-able.....The omelet sounds delicious!

LuxeBytes said...

Sounds like a charming weekend. I planted less hardy pansies earlier in the summer, which then sizzled in the heat. Mayhaps a visit to the garden center for winter pansies should be in the offing today?

xoxo --
M.

hopflower said...

Oh, yes. Pansies are a winter staple. Sometimes I intersperse them with ornamental kale; and the frosty blues, white, and purples make a wonderful display.

labergerebasque said...

Oh try just a poached farm egg on a couple of tablespoons serving of cepes to really get a full on cepes flavor. Delicious. :)

the golddigger said...

I forced some paperwhites that just started to bloom two days ago. The fragrance is almost overwhelming, but they are so beautiful.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh what a cheery idea planting all white pansies.
I have some black pansies in a planter at the bottom of our porch stairs and they usually over winter well.

Marsha said...

Your pansy efforts have inspired me; I will obtain some for my front porch today! But please, don't just uproot your lavender; you can trim it back and repot it carefully and have a good chance of it reviving in spring, perhaps in a more comfortable location for it.

Beadboard UpCountry said...

Yes definitely take a picture!!!!!
I know it will be very pretty..... Those cepes look delish too.;) Maryanne xo

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish

Can I please come for some cepes too.
What a good friend you have.

I love pansies and like your readers said, they are strong and can take some cold weather. Remember to dead head the flowers.

My best for a restful joyful weekend

Helen

Lin, Pain d'Epices & Chocolat said...

I love cepes!!! I have to tell my husband about the pansies, he is my personal gardener ans I love white flowers! Thank you for this nice blog about your love for France.

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Sounds pretty wonderful to me Tish.....hand-picked cepes from the forest....in an omlette..... and a gentle bit of gardening....the white pansies will make a wonderful show for many months and will make you smile during the winter.
BON APPETIT !! XXXX

Rayna said...

This is so Peter Mayle! Love it!

Linda said...

I've had pansies survive a Texas ice storm. They don't mind cold weather at all, even snow.

Susan Tiner said...

The pansies are beautiful, but to my eye the mushrooms are even more beautiful :).

I'm about to make a winter soup myself. So glad to have caught up on your posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...