Thursday, October 27, 2011

YOUR Faces Through The Ages

Patricia Allen
The beautiful Dr. Allen is Co-founder and Publisher of Women's Voices for Change , a site we should all be visiting regularly.

Each day, before launching into the continuing series on Your Faces Through the Ages, I try to sort through the adjectives stored in my brain. I've also leafed through my superb Roget's International Thesaurus ( I highly recommend it btw), to find more appropriate words to describe you and your accomplishments, your verve, your discipline, your optimism. And, I'm faltering.

You are an extraordinary assembly of fascinating, accomplished, funny, serious, adventurous women. We often hear the media talk about "second acts" and "reinvention" -- you are the very definition of these new worlds.

The 60s. . .
Diane Wayne

Jan Fawke

The other day in a conversation with a good friend who is highly accomplished in the following areas: sewing, gardening, child raising, horseback riding, writing (she's a superb writer), and if that weren't enough she has a little antique business on the side. She has a finely honed taste that allows her to edit her finds so precisely that no sooner does she buy something, than it's sold. Ah yes, as I was saying, I remarked to her that I only know how to do one thing and that I would like a smidge of reinvention in my life. She then indignantly pointed out that I had reinvented my life. "You created a blog," she countered.

"Well yes, but it's an extension of the only thing I know how to do," I reposted.

"Maybe," she said, "but it's different."

She also offered to teach me how to make the beautiful little lavender sachets she gave me as a gift recently. I'm beyond excited. For those of you who are clever in the knitting, sewing, quilting, jewelry-making realms (etc.) my new venture may not seem like a major accomplishment to you, but I see it as a baby step to who knows what (!?).

The 50s. . .
Lorrie Orr with her shiny, new graduate degree in hand.
Fabric, Paper, Thread 
Jane Brideson
Tamara Beardsley
Regina Clark
Please keep sending your pictures, remember 30s to forever (tishjett@yahoo.com). Every one will appear here. And, my daughter who is often a tweaker of my conscience, pointed out, "If all these incredible women trust you enough to share their pictures, the least you can do is show yours." (She can be bossy.) She's right of course -- she usually is, it's maddening. I promise I will.

21 comments:

coffeeaddict said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
coffeeaddict said...

Ooops, typo. Here wo go again:
One thing I learned as a DIY-er: never belittle your accomplishments, no matter how insignificant they may seem. So you're good at making lavender sachets? Own it!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Reinvention for me has been so much fun and my blog is a HUGE part of that process. Who would've known I would go from frumpy housewife to fashion & style blogger?? Anything is possible...even after 50!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Bravo to your daughter! It's going to be fun to see the gal behind the blog!

I agree with coffee addict on the DIY process...baby steps are just the beginning of the learning curve.
Remember how we cheered and rooted and applauded our children when they were in school learning?
It's no different after 50...
you go for it!

A Thousand Clapping Hands said...

I'm really enjoying this series, Tish. And I love Women's Voices for Change. I can't remember the last time I was on the other side of the lens, but if it happens I'll send you a pic!
Best,
Catherine

sharon said...

Sounds like you have a really special friend there, I hope you're nice to her!
I am becoming addicted to this series Tish, it's totally fascinating.
xx
PS VERY pleased to see that lovely shot of Lorrie, we've often exchanged mails and her blog profile picture doesn't do her justice.
PPS I agree with your daughter, so here's the deal: I will when you will ...

Susan Tiner said...

I like hostess's comment about remember how we cheered our little ones and it being the process whenever we learn something new.

I agree with your daughter! Looking forward to seeing beautiful you.

Lorrie said...

Hooray for bossy daughters! Looking forward to seeing a photo of you.

I might have the degree - but now, what to do with it? Hmmmm.

kathy peck said...

So you have a bossy daughter too?
I think this is a time when many of us are thinking of reinvention. I've had a fairly "colorful" life, and have had to reinvent myself too many times already, out of necessity. Happy to stay in this incarnation for awhile hopefully.
Great group of vibrant women.

Tish Jett said...

OK, Darlings, I did a terrible thing.

I thought I was protecting the innocent -- someone who might not want to be associated with a pathetic DIYer, but the least I could have done was tell you who she is.

Ta-daaa: Sharon Santoni !!!!-- you know that blog of hers of that captures the French esthetic we all so dearly love. She's the one. You can find here at www.myfrenchcountryhouse.blogspot.com

Once you've found her, you'll never want to leave. (I hear she has a cottage for rent. . .)

xo,
Tish

Lorraine Young Pottery said...

Lorrie congrats on that degree!!!
Jane you have the coolest short hair. Mine has just reached my waist... I guess that is a rebellious move as I am in my 40's.

Lorraine - who totally thinks one should keep growing.

Lost in Provence said...

I agree that Jane is totally rocking her short hair--but then again, yet another group of beautiful women who are all owning their personalities, their accomplishments.

Patricia said...

I agree with your daughter, and would love to know more about your life (you promised a peek to us all and then decided not). I know you love to cultivate an air of mystery but I hope you will consider sharing more of your life. I am a suburban Detroiter and remember you well from your times here as a fashion editor. Please follow your daughter's advice, and keep on writing such a sophisticated, engaging blog.

Tamera Beardsley said...

Your daughter is a wise woman...look forward to seeing you... and thank you for including my photo in your inspiring series!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

More lovely ladies. I'm loving this.
I've reinvented myself numerous times and it keeps my life exciting. It's better than growing old.
Sam

BigLittleWolf said...

You are expanding our consciousness and helping us to remember essential beauty - energy, competence, tenderness - that radiates from within.

Loving this, Tish.

Duchesse said...

Have seen you but a week ago and cannot for the life of me imagine why you would not show your picture too!

Taradharma said...

LOVE this blog! Found you via Regina Clark, who I see you have featured here with other beautiful women.

Regina and I went to high school together and then lost touch -- we are now back in touch and in our 50's -- happy to have empty nests and time and space to explore what our lives are all about now.

I look forward reading more of your blog -- it's right up my alley. BTW, I 'reinvented' myself by blogging as well, 6 years ago. It has been a revelation to me.

Best to you -

Taradharma said...

LOVE this blog! Found you via Regina Clark, who I see you have featured here with other beautiful women.

Regina and I went to high school together and then lost touch -- we are now back in touch and in our 50's -- happy to have empty nests and time and space to explore what our lives are all about now.

I look forward reading more of your blog -- it's right up my alley. BTW, I 'reinvented' myself by blogging as well, 6 years ago. It has been a revelation to me.

Best to you -

Carol said...

Tish, you are playing a major role in the encouragement of us all to continue the reinvention of ourselves. Thank you, and yay for bossy daughters..

More beautiful faces to celebrate !

quintessence said...

Isn't Dr. Pat amazing? And she has the most amazing sense of style that you would admire! So good of you to give Women's Voices a little plug. Love seeing all these fabulous faces!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...