Thursday, October 20, 2011

YOUR Faces Through The Ages

Carolyn
It's interesting. This series started with my rant about the publisher who told my friend that looking good was not a feminist issue and that therefore her book "didn't work" for their imprint. Her book btw, also talked about health as well as beauty and taking care of oneself in order to be more productive, interesting, kind and generous. But I guess the "hook" wasn't sufficiently wild-eyed strident. (OK, I'm ready. You can come back at me.)

I've never understood why feminism, for some women, cannot be gentle. As I've said, I define my version of feminism as having choices and, of course, I believe in a cause that supports that possibility for all women. Call me naive if you will, but I don't see how lip gloss and mascara complicate or negate one's principles.
Karena
Art by Karena 
Carol Ruggeri
Hostess of the Humble Bungalow 
Nancy Armock, right, with her friend Naomi. "This picture," Nancy says, "captures my mood these days." Lovely, n'est-ce pas?

Back to the subject at hand: You. You are a marvelous, marvelous group of stunning, accomplished women. One of you told me you are the mother of five boys, and that you're a scientist. I can't help thinking, "Oh, the lucky partners for those boys." I'll bet all five of them are "feminists." Oh yes, their mother is beautiful.
Another of you, a beauty again, told me she "earned every one of my gray hairs." You are funny, optimistic, open, courageous, intelligent -- I could go on and on, and I will. Just keep sending in your pictures. I already have a nice backlog, but honestly I'm having so much fun with you I don't want to stop.

Today, you're all in your 50s.

Patricia O'Hara and her sister, Carolyn, "taking a mid-way water break in a 5K run. Their picture was taken by their "little brother" (48), Patricia said. "He always makes me smile."
And, please, the young women in their 30s who visit this space, please participate. We want to know what you think, where you're going and where you are in your lives right-this-minute.

Donna Liberman
Wendy Hird
Susan Tiner
(No name, by request.)
Catherine Gilmore
Inside Out 
A tiny aside: Andrea, since you read your mother's blog every day, will you please tell your girlfriends -- who do the same -- to send their pictures to your mother. Merci par avance, you know the address: tishjett@yahoo.com. (Love you.)

Please, those of you who may have hesitated, maybe you could rethink and send your photo. Every one I receive will be included. Age has no importance. Just keep repeating, like a mantra.

A demain, mes chers amis.

25 comments:

sharon said...

Wow Tish! Another great looking bunch of women here, you are definitely becoming the authority in blogland ... and no doubt elsewhere!
I realised just how remarkable your series is when I tried to imagine a male blogger doing the same thing for his men readers .....
speak soon
xox

Lost in Provence said...

I agree with Sharon--it says so much about the trust that you have developed with your readers that they are sending in their photos to be published for the world to see! And no wonder, what a group of beautiful and dynamic women.

And this may not come out clearly--but I truly believe that not making the most of your assests can be "anti-feminist"! Who are we to dim down our looks just to fit in? We wouldn't dream of dumbing down now would we?

déjà pseu said...

Wow! What a stellar bunch of women! It's good that we take a moment in time to celebrate who we are, how much we've survived and accomplished, how much we have to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

i love this!!!! life does not end at fifty ladies, we are just getting started.

Anonymous said...

Le sujet est très intéressant. Je ne pense pas que ce soit anti-féministe de soigner son apparence, de se faire belle, bien au contraire. Est ce que pour les hommes c'est anti-masculin de se raser, de mettre de l'après rasage, etc ? Les photos sont belles, mais j'attends une vraie photo de Tish.
Je viens vous lire tous les jours avec beaucoup de plaisir

kathy peck said...

Looking your best is empowering, and is more than a superficial thing - whether male or female. Pro-feminist to take good care of yourself, in all ways.
And yes, a great looking bunch of vibrant women on your blog today!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It's an honour to be among such lovely women.
Hopefully the younger women will come forth with their photos.
"age has no importance is a great mantra!"

Karena said...

Tish I was so surprised when I opened your post for today!

I imagined you having thousands of images to pick from and never really being chosen. We are so bad at times, as a glance at my hair had me thinking, oh it really needs some Moroccan Oil!!

All of the women here are talented and beautiful inside and out.

From your friend,

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

Tish, thank you for taking on this project. I, for one, think it is so important for us to see "real" images of real women and not just the retouched, photoshopped images we are used to from the media. All these women are beautiful in their own way. It is the differences that make our beauty. Thank you ladies for sharing!

Susan Tiner said...

Hi Tish, what an honor to be featured among these lovely ladies. I love this series!

I agree with you that gentleness and feminism go together very well.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Another great group of gals Tish. I totally agree on your view of feminism.
Sam

That's Not My Age said...

This is such a brilliant idea - it's fantastic to see all these lovely women - and I totally agree with your views on feminism.

Tamera Beardsley said...

Tish, thank you so much for doing this important series. It is so refreshing to actually see real woman of different ages presented and.... so successfully!

Catherine said...

Tish- thank you for including my photo in your illustrious list. I feel positively famous and think this is a wonderfully affirming project. 50 is only the beginning of the second half of life!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

A truly inspiring group of women...all stunning and beautiful.
Thanks for continuing to share these faces!

fashionoverfifty said...

Really so much fun! Love to see all the happy faces~this is such a great idea.

Carolyn C. said...

Lesson learned:beauty surely comes with age. Thanks for the series.

Carol said...

Tish, thank you for including my photo with this group of gorgeous women.

Your series encourages us to embrace and celebrate our ' faces through the ages'
Thank you again !

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I do disagree with your use of the term "feminist", however. It's a political term and really only works in a political context. Your friend's book sounds terrific and I would totally want to read it, but it's not political and I can understand why it wouldn't be of interest to a feminist publisher. Just saying!

K.Bean said...

I'm really enjoying these pictures. Merci!

Tree said...

Wowowow - what a positive and empowering series you have developed!

I'll add today that feminism and attractiveness are not in opposition - case in point Gloria Steinam! Who else has advanced feminism more over the decades than this attractive, stylish, unrelenting advocate who states hard facts and advances progressive policies through an even-tempered and soft-voice of reason. And, you have to love her now-classic statement that "60 is the new 40!"

Lynda said...

I can't tell you how uplifting and inspiring these photos are! My thanks to every woman who's sent one in, and to you, Tish, for giving us this forum.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tish. I am 37 and love your blog and have really loved your series on your real women readers of certain ages. I have always felt that even now, a wife, a mother, in my 30s I am still un-formed and I have not yet grown into the woman I am meant to be. The pictures of women you are publishing on your blog show older women of the type I aspire to be- confident, happy, and yes beautiful. I view these women as people to aspire to.

Thank you!

Ravenna

Anonymous said...

Just back from a vacation to discover my photo among today's group. Thank you for including me among this beautiful group of photos. Perhaps by being "no name by request," I can stand in for Everywoman in her mid-50s.

Mae said...

Oh great! Us 30 somethings can participate too! I have enjoyed looking at the beautiful women (and feeling especially good when I see women of color)! I will send my contribution soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...