Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Designers Have Us Collared

Pucci
White next to the face is one thing -- a shirt, a T-shirt and, obviously, pearls, pearls, pearls -- it reflects light and makes us look young and lovely.


Both Louis Vuitton
Fine. But I can't help but wonder about Peter Pan or as the French call them, Claudine collars, for us. They seem, how shall I put it (?) too innocent, too childlike, too silly. Cloyingly sweet? You'll let me know what you think.

The expression and body language of Catherine Deneuve says it all, n'est-ce pas?

In the meantime, here are a few from the runways and the Little Black Dress made famous by Catherine Deneuve.



I cannot quibble with the Louis Vuitton take on the theme. Gold definitely reflects light. Unfortunately it's in métal doré -- and we all know what that means: It's not the real deal. But for 419 Euros one does get a teeny LV logo stamp of approval on the left corner.



Or, how about these instead for big girls: collar and cuffs in poplin from Tania Zekkout? They're fresh without being sweet.

Off to Paris.

17 comments:

Villette said...

The first dress, the Pucci, is divine because of the amount of skin it shows and the black lace and the shape. But the others, no: the little white collar is a look for girls under 14. Make that under 12. Except of course if you are Deneuve and can match the little collar with the pout and the tumbling hair. In which case, you could get away with a BabyGro.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I admit I like the collar and cuffs at the end of your post the best. But, before I commit on the Peter Pan, I think I would want to try it on again. I have not worn one for years. That second dress is amazing and I would love to try it on just to form an opinion. I hope you can check out the Prada my friend tried on in my posts from yesterday and today...they are gorgeous.

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi Tish,
I must say that I like the peter pan collar look on the younger generation but, not at my age !! All a bit prim and proper and innocent but, I am loving those cuffs and collars from Tania Zekkout. They are really me. XXXX

ParisGrrl said...

Peter Pan collars need to remain in NeverNeverLand.

Karena said...

The Pucci is gorgeous Tish. I think the others are too school girl of a look for most women our age. It would not work for me!

Though like Diane Keaton, Love turtlenecks in the winter so am not opposed to covering up Ha!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

I have a fabulous Giveaway from Interieurs I hope you will come and join!

LuxeBytes said...

Not OK. I see this a lot on women like Alexa Chung and Sofia Coppola, and just want to say, "Grow UP already."

xoxo

déjà pseu said...

I'm with ParisGrrl and LuxeBytes. Peter Pan collars on grown women are a Don't.

Anonymous said...

Beaucoup trop jeune fille pour les femmes d'un certain âge!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am not in favour of Peter Pan collars at all.
I prefer to open up a white shirt to showcase some luminous pearls.

The Pucci dress is lovely.

LPC said...

Take a look at the Honor SS2012. She does an Un-Collar dress that's amazing.

That's Not My Age said...

I prefer the big girls collar. The Peter Pan-style is too young, too Alexa Chung.

Bienvenue chez French Girl in Seattle... said...

I am not too fond of Les Cols Claudine. Diane Keaton pulls them off effortlessly, but that's Diane Keaton. Loved, loved, loved the shot of the Great Catherine. She could do no wrong when she was that young and gorgeous. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Splenderosa said...

Ahhhh Tish, I do love the whiteness around our faces. Peter Pan I don't think, but tons of pearls, tons. xx's

knitpurl said...

Tania Zekkout, yes; Pucci, maybe; the rest, no. Been there, done that. xoxoxo, C.

BigLittleWolf said...

Have fun in Paris!

As for these colliers, can't say I'm enamored of the Peter Pan reinterpretation, but I do like the cuffs at the end of the post...

aBroad said...

A collar will be nice after the warm scarves that we have been wearing for so long this winter !
besitos.

tiffany rose said...

I cannot do Peter Pan collars. Pearls for me, please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...