Friday, August 26, 2011

The Virtues of Vinaigre

Can't take your cider vinegar and water cocktail "straight up?" You can add a tablespoon of honey.

Apple cider vinegar is a magic potion. Reputedly it wards off insomnia and fatigue while at the same time boosting energy. But that's not all: cider vinegar re-establishes the PH of the skin as it softens, then it acts as an astringent and an antiseptic when applied locally.  It is credited with a number of other qualities related to more serious medical conditions which I shall eschew since that is not my purview.

Two tablespoons of vinegar in a tall glass of water is a brilliant appetite suppressant. In France, we're addicted to the stuff -- internally and externally.



Find the best of the best, the purest of the pure.

Words of caution: You cannot grab any old bottle of cider vinegar off the grocery shelf. It must be pure, all the better if it comes from a farm, has a nice biological label (ecologically sourced label?). It's worth the time and effort to find the best of the best. It must be golden and limpid.

I am not a DIY beauty addict. I have my six favorite products and that's it. They're simple, "performant" as the French say and I couldn't be happier. However, I'm drawn to cider vinegar and it's promises -- not the ones where you are required to whip up some cream with wheat germ and olive oil, waaay too messy and I've outgrown the thrill.

Since cider vinegar is rich in minerals, enzymes, vitamins, antioxidants, beta carotene and of course pectin, a morning that starts with the vinegar/water cocktail does give the day a kick-start. As a natural diuretic: 1.5 liters of water (approximately three pints) and 10 cl of vinegar (about 1/3 cup) is most effective.

If a splashy rinse is not appealing, apply your vinegar/water astringent with cotton pads.
If, like chez nous, your water is hard a final rinse of a tablespoon of vinegar in a half cup of water closes the pores and rinses away harsh minerals in the water. You'll note it has the same effect on your bathroom sink. . .

You already know about the hair rinse, sunburn, bug bite benefits so I didn't think we needed a review in those areas.

Ed. Note: All of you in harm's way -- I'm thinking about the hurricane, but it applies always and ever -- take care.

19 comments:

LuxeBytes said...

I tried ACV in water a couple of times earlier this year -- a good organic ACV with a "mother" growing on top -- and it gave me a powerful nausea afterwards that lasted two hours. Not a good fit pour moi!

xoxox

patrice said...

Your column is a must for moi each and every day, but I am still awaiting "The Big Reveal". Now, off for a search for the perfect vinegar...

Patty said...

I started using Bragg "Organic apple cider vinegar" a couple years ago. I put about 1 teaspoon in a shot glass and fill the rest with water, and add a dash of cayenne. I don't think I could drink a whole glass if you paid me, but I can throw back a shot. I take it before going to sleep at night. www.bragg.com is the website, but I pick it up at my local grocery store.

Karena said...

Tish, such genius!! Off to Trader Joes later to see what kind of cider vinegar they carry.

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

adrienne said...

This is interesting timing for me. I bought two bottles of a new-to-me beverage at my local health food store on Tuesday - Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar drink. One is ginger flavored and the other Concord grape. I read the ingredients and didn't see any reason I couldn't make this myself. And now, thanks to your post, I will.

One of my girlfriends is 46, never exercises except for an occasional walk, eats whatever she wants in moderation and takes two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar straight every morning. She is 5' 10" and a size 4. I think she's on to something (and of course she has a great set of genes).

Off to make myself a morning cocktail!

Anonymous said...

Good advice Tish. Because most of our health issues (even the very serious ones) are caused by inflamation, restoring a PH balance is crucial to our systems. My understanding is that drinking diluted apple cider (definitely not regular, white vinegar!) throughout the day is best. Concentrated would certainly affect the digestive tract and probably add to the inflamation problem). I'm no doctor but have done some research. Your proportions sound good. judy

Patty said...

Agreed. Apparently it's important to dilute the vinegar before drinking. Potential damage to the esophagus maybe?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You have inspired me to try this.
I have some Braggs in my cupboard but never thought of using as a diet aid.
If this works I'll be eternally grateful!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I'm adding this to my grocery list!
Thanks, Tish!

Northmoon said...

If it wards off insomnia I'm in! Went out and bought a bottle immediately.

ida said...

Tish,I read Dr Jarvis book (I think he lived in Vermont)on the virtues of cider vinegar back in the late 60's it was a best seller here.

I have used it ever since from drinking it with honey,putting on stings,itching skin.Also use it in salads,with avocados as a started,mix with bean salads etc,etc.Benefits animals as well.

Aspall organic cider vinegar made in Suffolk is the best in the UK.

Also helps with slimming extra bonus.Ida

Anonymous said...

Interesting article. Will certainly try it. I am wondering if you might be persuaded to include your six favourite products in one blog. I know that one is the Eucerin day cream.

Carolyn C. said...

Great Idea! What are your fav six products. Thanks for the tip.
Also, waiting, anxiously, patiently for the big reveal.

sara said...

Very new to A Femme d'Un Certain Age (love reading it ;-), and very interested in your six fave skin products too! I did run across three recently and I'm looking at them on Amazon and eBay. I so appreciate being able to benefit from your wisdom and experience!

Belle de Ville said...

I've heard before that cider vinegar was healthy but now because of your post I'm going to try the vinegar in water cocktail.

ccjach said...

I'll also check Traders Joes's. Once the storm passes (we live in coastal CT) . . .

catherine said...

You brought back such a powerful memory. My very french great grandmother, Mary Celeste LaValle, drank a glass of vinegar (straight) every morning as did my grandmother to maintain the figure. Somehow, that lesson was lost...but today has been rediscovered. started this morning with apple cider vinegar in a tall glass of cold water.

The Fashionable Traveler said...

My friend Jana turned me on to the benefits of apple-cider vinegar. I have suffered from chronic sinucitis since moving to Arkansas. 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in warm water with a little honey have done more to clear my sinuses than most allergy meds.

I'm looking forward to trying it on my skin, thanks for the tip.

In fact, I did a post yesterday about rinsing my hair with white vinegar, a little something I read in Parisian Chic...Merci Inés!

-Catherine

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am here in France. I just want to ask if you guys know where to buy the best apple cider vinegar..tnx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...