Tuesday, August 9, 2011

News & Views, This & That

A touch of glamour. Sometimes photographs scream "lifestyle" as in "I want that lifestyle." I think the Pucci caftan captures the sentiment. N'est-ce pas?

Prepare yourself for bits and bites. You know how I collect the this-es and thats of riveting information (and personal observations) about what's going on in my corner of the world -- from Paris to the countryside. It's one of those days.

In Today's Headlines. . .


Twinkle, Twinkle 

You may remember this dress from late, late winter when Babette (see yesterday's post) bought it for her boutique as part of her spring/summer offerings. It is swoon worthy. The sequins melt into light, medium and deep pailletés of pinky nude, taupe and toast. It finally sold on markdown. More than having the right figure for it -- simply great arms really, it was flow-y and easy to wear -- it called for the right lifestyle. The construction was a simple A form.

Are you sure you would travel 45 minutes from Paris to shop chez elle? Actually, you could combine the trip with a visit to Versailles. We live between Versailles and Rambouillet, right in the middle of the Rambouillet forest. Let me know. Pseu and I have plans (Une Femme ).

Jennifer Aniston Has (I mean, should have) Me On Speed Dial


Jennifer Aniston, photographed for Elle by Marc Seliger.
The French really like her. She pops up often on magazine covers as does another favorite, Cameron Diaz. The sole reason I'm mentioning her is to give Jen some girlfriend-to-girlfriend fashion advice: get your manicurist to take those nails down about a half inch.

I realize you probably don't lift a taloned finger at home, but you could hurt someone on set.

You're welcome. My pleasure. Any time. You know where to find me.

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery," Coco Chanel

Chanel 1955.

Dior 2011 (and Marion Cotilard of course).
At What Point Are They No Longer "Flip-Flops"


Pinel et Pinel taking the every day to extremes.
I'll tell you. When the rubber or modest leather thong that holds them on your feet and allows the fun flip-flop movement becomes crocodile and the price approaches 500 Euros. I would say it's probably at about that moment.

Just Like Maman



While perusing the aisles at Sephora with my special "good customer award points bonus"  (I spend unreasonable amounts of money there) I spotted Revlon's "Cherries In the Snow" nail polish. My mother always wore it on her toes.



I bought it. It's on my toes. Makes me very happy.

21 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

You know why I love stopping by here?

I always feel a bit more glamorous just by visiting!


And those nails are atrocious.

LuxeBytes said...

Jennifer Aniston's nails are hilarious. Who does she think she is, Barbra Streisand?

xoxoxo

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Swooning over that sequined frock.
Cherries in the snow = happiness.
What a fabulous and simple way to bring joy to your day.

une femme said...

LuxeBytes - I think that was from a shoot where they styled her like Streisand, hence the nails.

That sequined dress is just heaven. But yes, "lifestyle." I keep that word in my head as a mantra when I shop these days.

greatbleuheron said...

The Aniston pic really caught my attention. That manicure length used to be fashionable--and now it screams "old lady." To me, at least. (And I'm an old enough lady to prefer not to have a manicure that screams "old lady.") It's interesting to me how the eye adjusts--in this case, based on the stubby manicure length having been fashionable for several years now.
Beth

Bienvenue chez French Girl in Seattle... said...

Great post! You are right about Chanel's "2-55" bag. It's probably one of the most imitated handbags in the world, including France! (The Birkin and Kelly models by Hermes are strong contenders.) Lovely photo of Marion Cotillard, though. "La Mome" is going up in the world these days. Veronique aka French Girl in Seattle

Priscilla said...

My mother wore Cherries in the Snow, too. I love the Twinkle dress.
I've never thought much of that Aniston woman. There lots better actresses and prettier, too.

Jean S said...

oh my, cherries in the snow...I'm having a serious flashback!!

that dress is gorgeous. Heck, if I ever get to France, I'm coming to visit, just to shop @ Babette's!

Anonymous said...

That's so not true about Aniston not being a good actress - her comedic timing in "Friends" was brilliant, I always thought. She was never afraid of letting it all hang out - way far out. So there. I agree about the nails, though. I can't manage painted finger nails anymore - just too, too busy and too industrious to care about something that requires that much maintenance. Must have pretty painted toesies, however. frivalous

ParisGrrl said...

Ooh thanks for the tip on where to find that polish...I usually walk past Sephora to avoid the Cloud of Scent they seem to live under, but I may brave it for Cherries in the Snow. I'm going to give the croc flipflops a miss, but I'm going to watch the feet on the street to see if anyone's sporting them here in my part of Paris!

BigLittleWolf said...

That dress is MOST swoon-worthy. And as for cherries in the snow, it's a long-time favorite.

Delicious - for any season.

California Girl said...

Cherries in the Snow is still a beautiful color. I have used it off and on for years. I often find myself drawn to it w/o knowing when looking at nail polish at the drug store. I'm usually drawn to the same colors, year after year.

Laura said...

I love your blog! But, being an English teacher I just have to correct something....its "you're" welcome, not "your" welcome.
You're is a contraction for you are...your is possessive as in your book.
Forgive my pickiness! I love you!!!

Mrs P said...

I know what you mean about lifestyle - I am thinking the Pucci kaftan will be dryclean only and the sleeves will drape in lunch as you are eating. The sequin dress is beautiful and more suited to a life more ordinary but special too. The nails absolutely too long - look witch-like. The quilted bag very covetable. Flip flops - not in my lifetime. And finally Cherries in the Snow - I wear it on my toes too - almost as nice as Love that Red x

Bourbon&Pearls said...

Those long nails are just so passé and déclassé aren't they?

Villette said...

I'm at this moment on google earth trying to figure out where Babette's boutique might be. In yesterday's blog, when you said Babette could explain the 'how' of wearing something, I decided I had to find her...though I fear I am well beyond any explanation of 'how' to wear that wonderful sequinned dream.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I laughed out loud to your advice for J Anniston!! In Texas, we are flip flop offenders...I have tried to walk away from them...but in day after day of 104 degrees, they just seem to work. But, I go back to work full time next week and flip flops will stay home...no matter what the temp is outside!!

Jeanie said...

Elise at "Everyday Goddess" sent me to visit you....I'm glad she did and I will be back.

The-Countrypolitan said...

Love the caftan! Did you notice how the design down the center creates an hour glass figure pattern?... very clever and strategic...

Wildernesschic said...

Oh you are so right I adore that Pucci look .. gorgeous .. sigh xx

A bird in the hand said...

Mystified that the French like those two. This French isn't impressed my Jennifer Aniston, and I've never liked Cameron Diaz.

I want the original Chanel bag. I can dream, can't I?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...