Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fall Fashion Reveal** Part I

I'll take this Celine dress please: one each in black, navy, gray and the color above. Merci par avance.

Autumn is my favorite season. When I was a child, my parents and I would fly from Buffalo, NY, to New York City to shop for my back-to-school clothes -- we stayed in a hotel (!), room service (!) just like Eloise, a play, a musical, dinners in restaurants (!) -- it was almost too much excitement for a little girl. I loved every second of it.

My parents were older and I think they often forgot I wasn't a miniature adult. Lucky me.

My mother guided me so gently in the proper vestment direction that I thought I made all my own wardrobe decisions. Then my father would tell me what extraordinary taste I had and how divine I looked in my new clothes which called for a celebratory dinner en famille in some swank restaurant.

I think, scientifically speaking, this is called "imprinting." In any case, the experience made an enormous and lasting impression upon me.

Celine. Note the leather detail on the sleeves. That's what sets it apart.
A classic, an investment, but if choosing between this Celine and the one above, I'd take the one above.
Dear Mr. Armani, Would you be so kind as to let down the hem on the pants? I'll take the suit. Thank you so much; it's perfection.
As August wanes and September beckons, I want to shop. Every year at about this time I long for something new.

Giorgio Armani -- just the jacket.
Jean-Paul Gaultier.
Hermes. Maybe not, but it is pretty.
Hermes.
Nina Ricci. So not me, but I'll try it to see whether I can break out of my mold.
Today then, I shall begin my -- alas virtual -- fall 2011 shopping expedition. I plan to approach the task the way I would if it were not virtual, that is to say: fill-in, fill-out and add excitement to what is presently in my closet. In other words, shopping the French way. I will not choose random items -- unless one, and only one piece, is so extraordinary it cannot be left behind. I will be freshening and expanding the possibilities of what I already own.

Very French indeed.


Louis Vuitton. Skirts only. You probably think I would take the black, but I wouldn't. I'd take the blue. (I already have a black sequined evening skirt.)
Here's the plan: from now through September I shall pull clothes into my fantasy dressing room and by the end of the month I will have culled through them and made my decisions on what I will "add" to my wardrobe. By all means, tell me what you think. Tell me what you like.

**An Explanation: Yes, I had planned an entirely different "Reveal" for today -- you know I would never trick you with taunts and teases. I had to postpone it because two important elements are missing. I promise to keep you au courant. I apologize.

24 comments:

déjà pseu said...

Oh, that Armani jacket...(swoon).

Villette said...

No need to apologize for delaying the reveal -- these pictures have sent me into such a swoon I'm not sure I could handle any more excitement today. All are wonderful, but the Celine pieces are just perfection. You have a terrific eye.

patrice said...

ah, the pieces are divine, but i was beyond excitement to read the planned reveal. please do not keep us out much longer!

Judy said...

Beautiful, classic and timeless...love them all!!

As an aside....I grew up near Buffalo NY too!!

Looking Fab in your forties said...

Your childhood school uniform trips sound wonderful and I am envious now, I want a trip like that. I will get to NYC one day!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

These silhouettes in neutrals are wonderful.
They all would be in my fantasy closet, but thankfully I can live vicariously through you!

kathy peck said...

I LOVE LOVE that first Celine dress - I'd take one in all of the colors too please. This is the best fall grouping of clothes I've seen yet. There isn't a loser among them, and all seem pretty wearable. The Nina Ricci perhaps a tad young?

Bienvenue chez French Girl in Seattle... said...

Love the Celine coat with leather sleeves. Really beautiful and what a nice leather accent. Can't imagine wearing this where I currently live though. American suburbia, rural area. Everybody oh-ah's just because I always wear coordinated scarves! Imagine if I showed up at the next soccer game wearing that amazing coat! ;-) Veronique aka French Girl in Seattle

knitwit said...

I'm so very jealous of your childhood back-to-school shopping trips. Mine generally involved being carted off to the nearest K-Mart, where my mother proceeded to veto anything I wanted that was even remotely trendy. Needless to say, the whole thing shaped my personal style too, but perhaps not in the same way yours did! I love your picks. Everything is so simple and wearable.

Jen said...

Your parents sound like quite the stylish team! I love the simplicity of all these looks, especially the Hermes. I think the best thing about getting older is getting to ignore trends that won't work for us, and wearing only the things we love that flatter.

jen @ stuffjendid

ParisGrrl said...

I fought my mom tooth and nail regarding fashion, preferring to be more of a tomboy growing up. But when I recall the feminine clothes I did like, I'm amused at how French they seem in retrospect. My French heritage (from the other side of the family) must have been whispering through my DNA. Living in Paris I finally feel like I fit in.

Toby Wollin said...

I'd love that first dress, too, but I'd go for forest green and a burgundy-with-a-bit-of-brown in it, myself. Fall always seems much more of the start of the new year than January 1 does - all we're missing are the new pencils.

ida said...

While you are there could you pick up the Celine dress for moi in brown!

I always feel restless in the Autumn + a little sad.Ida

BigLittleWolf said...

Loving these looks!

Lorrie said...

Such beautiful clothes. I love those smoothly fitting dresses. Utter elegance.

Splenderosa said...

Tish, what fabulous parents you have for creating these lovely memories for you. This is truly important. I could say what all the others have said about your splendid choices, & they are. I'll bet you would be perfect in Burberry Prorsum & precious Marc Jacobs. Am I right?
xx's

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

The long white Hermes coat. Please!
Minus the hat.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

IT is interesting to me how many bloggers have fall to be their favorite season...i know it is mine as well...there are so many fabulous things here that it is hard to pick a favorite...I am longing for the first cool breeze in Texas.

LuxeBytes said...

You nevertheless pulled together a very nice post on such short notice. Lots of gorgeousness to dream about -- and yes, that blue LV skirt is gorgeous!

Your childhood trips to New York to shop for school clothing is the stuff dreams are made of.

xoxoxo

The-Countrypolitan said...

Oh my gosh... both of the Hermes are just perfect!

Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen said...

love the silhouettes...but can't do the necklines...I'm much more of a 50's- wide V or a cowl-neck...I do love the color of the Celine coats! So much richer than last season's Camel...camel is just not my color- but that mushroomy/putty color sure is! Can't wait for fall here- it was to hot to be fun this summer.

Anonymous said...

Pleaseeeee....!!! we want to know the age ...!!! the real age......I'm more than 40 years old...I would like to look as good as she does...!!!! thank you...!!!

The Fashionable Traveler said...

Fall is my favorite season too! When I was growing up I would insist on having a new outfit for the first football game. My mother would remind me that is was still going to be very warm, and she didn't want to hear me complain....I never did, the things we do for fashion. I spend more time thinking about what I want to wear for fall than the other seasons put together. I too am making my mental like.

btw...love the Celine coat, If I just had to have one piece it would definitely be a coat, you alway look put together with fab outwear.

Anonymous said...

Sooo where is the big reveal...??? ohhh I have forgoten this is a business as allways.....!!! more hits right..?? how dissapointed I am of your blog..!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...