Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dressing Up & Working Chez Vous


Working from home. Ah the luxury, the freedom. . .

Roll out of bed, brush hair, splash face, mosey on over to the kitchen, eat something (healthy), think about what's on the calendar, transport cup of coffee (or tea) to office, sit down in front of the computer, check e-mails, start work day.

No, no wait have you forgotten a detail or two?

You're still in your pajamas, remember? Or, is that the way you go to work chez vous? You apply the "no one will see me, comfort first, my pajama uniform is an outward expression of my right to be me" rule I take it.

Let me guess; you're not French.

If you were, chances are you would not be working in your pajamas, no matter how cute they are. Entre nous -- and I probably shouldn't admit it -- I've worked in my pajamas. I always apply my day cream however because it works while I work -- theoretically. It's either a win-win or a no-lose situation.

Shed the bag and the blazer, go to work.






A Frenchwoman working from home would apply the "Answer the Front Door" rule. Translation: If you cannot open the door without embarrassment, maybe you should re-think your work wardrobe.

Since part of my raison d'etre is to take the best and leave the rest when assimilating the habits of my French friends, I've discovered the rewards of small efforts. I made the decision some time ago to "get dressed" every day. Not dressed/dressed, but sort of Casual Friday if you will. Curiously, I've found I think better, write better and feel better.

My home office vestments include: trousers, linen in summer, flannel in winter; long-sleeve T-shirts of various cuts, in white, black, gray or navy; shirts in white, white, white, pale blue or pale pink, often with a cashmere cardigan in winter; cashmere turtlenecks and V-necks in, you guessed it -- neutrals; often a scarf (I love scarves, I sometimes wear them with my pajamas); my gold creoles and ballerinas or mocassins. Et voila. Makeup is minimal: above mentioned cream, mascara on curled lashes, clear gloss and perfume.

I've timed the exercise: Under 10 minutes.




Put the bag away, change your shoes.  Get to work.
I don't need to get dressed, I wish to prove to myself that I have the discipline to do so and that it makes a difference in how I feel. I think it does.

A Demain: The Big Reveal (I'm nervous).

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post! And quick recovery on your part. Hope the rest of your day is without incident---unless it's a happy one :-)

laurieann said...

Thank you for rewriting your lost post Tish, I truly appreciate it. My work from home dressing rule is something like this: "Can I be ready for lunch out with husband or friend in less than 10 minutes?" Answering this question translates to pieces much like you described for your own work at home wardrobe. I look for pieces that will make work at home outfits to which I can quickly change flats to small heels, add a blazer or light coat, add a single piece of jewelry, swipe lip gloss and be off!

helen tilston said...

Hi Tish

You are so right in this post. I am a true believe in dressing each day with respect for others and for ones self and I feel it portrays in one's work.

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

I have an office but work from home when it fits my schedule. Usually no-one calls round without an appointment at the house. Except the postman and delivery folks, but I'm always dressed in dark trousers/silk/cashmere jumpers, my huge pearl earrings and the prettiest ballerinas one can find. That's my at home "uniform";-)

angiemanzi said...

I enjoyed this post, but your models look alot younger than a certain age :-)

Villette said...

Oh, dear. The shame of it. I work from home. Clothes happen at about I'm-embarrassed-to-say o'clock. I must try harder. As for answering the door, I just don't..Thing is, though, that if I pulled myself together with as much style as your pictures, Tish, I'd decide to go out for lunch or some shopping, and the work would stop. Leave me half-dressed and I can give you 1,400 words by 4 pm. Put me in Ralph Lauren cashmere, and I'm gone.

Splenderosa said...

As with everything, it's all about personal discipline.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I like that French girl tip about answering the door dressed appropriately, that is a great guideline for home work wear.

Your options are casual and understated and perfect.
Cashmere wins me over.

Tish it looks like to have managed to save the day with the other post disappearing into cyberspace. Hope that the rest of your day is stress free.

Chicatanyage said...

I have worked from home for so long now that it is many years since I went into an office regularly. I can't work in pyjamas or dressing gown it just feels wrong, unless I am ill and then hopefully I am not working. I do get dressed even if just in jeans and a shirt and put on some make-up every day. It has now become a habit and I think a good one.

Lorrie said...

Dressing every morning isn't my problem, but I frequently sit down at my desk without taking the time to put on my makeup. I would be embarrassed to open the door without it.

I'm so glad you managed to rewrite your post. Knowing that other women are in the same situation builds community.

Debora said...

OK, I'm convinced! I'm a teacher who's been guilty of hiding out in PJs all summer. But after reading your post, I'm going to pull it together! I love your suggestions for a casual Friday work look. Truth be told, when I'm at school working with children on the floor and the playground, I need a casual Friday wardrobe every day!

PS
Whats a great, lightly scented perfume that won't offend my allergic co-workers?

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I heartily agree. Even though my pajamas are fabulous I do find I work so much better when I'm dressed and puffied. And if there's a knock on the door... I'm ready.

Spiral Style said...

Love the idea of getting dressed with makeup upon awakening. BUT I go to the gym...then run errands...then walk the dog. Embarrassed to say that it could be late afternoon before I shower and dress. But I must say that my exercise clothes are cute and coordinated. Maybe I should start showering at the gym so I don't go the whole day in workout gear.

Fran said...

When my husband used to be a milkman and collected the money on a Saturday, none of his customers bothered about the 'answer the door' rule .... he had some stories to tell ...

Jean S said...

I fell down the rabbit hole on this one and am now climbing back out. A hearty "Amen" to your observations!

Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen said...

I'm with you Jean...climbing out of the rabbit hole. I actually had to fly down the hall this morning at breakneck speed to throw on some clothes because I saw someone pull up to the house! Oy...If that wasn't a wake-up call, I don't know what is!

Beadboard UpCountry said...

Loved this!!!!!!And the 'Answer the door rule!"Maryanne xo

LuxeBytes said...

The "answering the door" question is really good. Now if only we could get women to ask themselves that before they even leave the house dressed in their pajamas, their sweatpants festooned with "JUICY" across the bum, their slippers, their too-tiny camisoles ....

xoxox

Anonymous said...

Love this post! Great "snappy casual" looks :) I really like the shoes, bracelets and bag on the model with the beige blazer! Any ideas on who made the bag? Shoes look like Gucci, yes?

Many thanks :)

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I always dress when I work from home...I just feel better about me. I love that first sweater so much...it is gorgeous!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I always dress when I work from home...I just feel better about me. I love that first sweater so much...it is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Great post - as ever. I work from home and always 'dress to be seen'. Apart from being an issue of self-respect, it makes me feel - and hopefully act - much sharper. In fact, the other day I dressed and made up as usual before doing an early-morning local radio interview - it may sound crazy, but it works for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tish,

I'm anxiously sitting here in my "not ready to answer the door" outfit,waiting for T-B-R.
Any chance you could tell us the source of turtleneck #1 with the buttons on the cuff. Love it.
xo Jeannie

Charlotte Holmes said...

I mostly work from home, and due to the dogs, have to get dressed first thing in the morning. I do not, however, have to dress up. It is the greatest luxury and privilege I can imagine.

L'Elégante said...

Chic, chic, chic, j'adore toutes ces tenues. Elégantes et confortables. Vraiment j'adore et indémodables....
J'aime beaucoup me promener sur votre blog.
Fine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...