Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sleeping Beauté

For today's lesson, this is definitely not the goal. For all things there is a time and a place and sometimes beauty procedures should be timed (as in limited).

You've read about those products. You slather them on your face before you slip beneath the sheets and in the morning you will appear like all the anti-aging photo shopped pictures that promise youth -- or fewer wrinkles let's say -- when you wake several hours later.

Well bonjour? Talk about waking up to reality.

However, do let me introduce you to a little trick that will make you look better in the morning. It has been tried and tested (often) by me and since my goal is to look the best I can for my age, I can assure you I've never looked better since I added this simple nighttime ritual to my routine.

The tip comes directly from two estheticians and my dermatologist -- that many people cannot be wrong. Right?

After your normal cleansing before bedtime, obviously you're not using soap so we can skip that detail, do not apply your regular, rich replenishing night cream. Instead, apply a moisturizing mask, put a fresh pillow case on your pillow and go to bed.




You may have a favorite brand. I like my Avene, Roche-Posay and the Sothy masque was recommended by the esthetician who performed my "day of beauty" a couple of months ago. It's very good, but considerably more expensive.

Remember, whatever you do, do not sleep in one of those hardening masks -- see above. For those masques, if you feel you need them from time to time, follow the directions to the finest detail. If you leave them on too long you might have to chip them off and that is most definitely not in your best beauty interest. The moisturizing masks (or masques) are absorbed, they do not harden.

When you wake in the morning, just rinse. Then -- ta-daa -- stand back slightly from your mirror (unless you're near-sighted) and take a moment to admire your beautiful visage.

Do this once a week. It will change your life. I promise you; it will.

18 comments:

LuxeBytes said...

Oh, darn. I almost ordered that Avene mask a couple of weeks ago when I replenished my Bioderm stash. Instead, I got a tissue-off cleanser and a very simple moisturizer, and no mask. I'll have to try it next time. Avene makes such good stuff.

Leaving the mask on overnight really doesn't upset your skin? Knowing mine, I'd probably wake up to a mess of blemishes.

xoxoxo --
M.

helen tilston said...

This makes good sense. Thanks for telling us. I shall try it.

Wishing you a day full of beauty

Helenxx

Cindy Swanson said...

I've never done this, and I definitely will! Thanks for the tip!

Cindy @Notes in the Key of Life

Beadboard UpCountry said...

Seems like someing I should do more..... Oh and I Love Ines too!
Good luck with the PC issues....xo Maryanne

Duchesse said...

Wise advice about not leaving masque on too long! (I made mistake of thinking longer is better.) Love Avene and Roche products.

aBroad said...

This is actually something I can buy here !
Avene products are in all the pharmacies. Thank you, I definitely need a calming soothing something these days :)

Anonymous said...

Yes this works really well. I have done this for years using a Clarins moisture mask. My skin looks plump and moist in the morning. Highly recommend this:)

cheers Di

Anonymous said...

So funny! We used to tell our kids to "cool your jets" when they were little (about 40 years ago) but I thought it was just a Michigan phrase....Love, love, love your blog---first blog I check every morning. Thanks!

Wildernesschic said...

Yes I have left on Eve Lom rescue mask too long ..and broke out in spots too.. I love Guerlain Midnight Secret for a boost xx

Catherine Robinson said...

Thanks, Tish...I will try it...great recommendation! :)
http://www.catherinerobinsoncashmere.com/

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Yes, I do that.
When my husband's out of town!

Rose said...

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try it.

BigLittleWolf said...

No need ever to apologize for running a wee bit en retard, chère Tish. Frankly, after a few computer glitches of my own this week, that blue-faced repose (avec fruits/légumes) is looking mighty fine to me.

Call me crazy...

Chicatanyage said...

This sounds like a good idea in theory however the model in the photo looks as though she is going to stay still all night. I happen to be quite a restless sleeper so i have a feeling a lot of the mask might end up on my pillow case unless of course it sinks in quickly. i might give it a try i guess the worst that could happen is more laundry!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have a clay mask by Burt's Bees that is avocado green...I hide my facial ritual from my husband who might be shocked.

I will try a moisture mask overnight and see how it performs. Great idea, thanks Tish.

Carolyn C. said...

Thanks for the tip! Love your blog, read it every night.

LuxeBytes said...

I ordered a tube of the mask from a place in the U.S. that also offered free shipping. I'll report my findings to you as soon as I can.

xoxoxo --
M.

une femme said...

Allow me to testify that this *really* works! But be sure it's a moisture mask and not a clay, tightening or hardening mask. I love the Avene mask.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...