Tuesday, June 14, 2011

As The World Turns


A visit to the Caillebotte exhibition yesterday didn't happen. The line stretched as far as the eye could see -- Monday was a holiday in France -- it looked like rain; we hadn't had lunch; we were hungry, Laduree where we had planned to have an omelet, was completely booked; and, the entire day started off badly because I was more than an hour late for our excursions because my car wouldn't start.

Let's call above paragraph "background" because, since Monday, I am viewing the universe in a completely different light. I haven't quite decided whether to call it an epiphany as yet, although it might be.

As I mentioned a few days ago, my friend Bob is in Paris, and I've been out and about playing with him. He explained, as I was near tears telling him about my car and that I would be verrrrrry late under the best of circumstances, that all such occurrences are merely twists on the universal plot of life -- or something like that. He believes in "the great novelist in the sky" who puts obstacles in our paths, plot twists, and yes, serendipitous moments to see how we handle the "material."

He refuses to use the word, "problem."

I must say, I like the notion. Applying it may be more complicated. I'm sort of locked into seeing all obstacles in my path as problems of greater or lesser importance.

Jane Fonda 
Courtney Love  needs to re-think dresses with slit-down-to-there V's. Under any circumstances, she should consider undergarments with serious support. (I'm telling her this for her own good.)

Faye Dunaway
Jodie Foster
Now for a diversion, completely off subject: "exclusive (!!)" photographs by Jerome Bonnet for Figaro Madame magazine of a few women of a certain age who attended this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Since I've made feeble allusions to literature, let's call them "striking" shall we? I wonder what the women think when they look at themselves in these stark images.

I'm off to Paris. A demain.

12 comments:

Vivienne said...

Jane Fonda is stunning - I dream of being that noble and strong...

ida said...

Jane Fonda looks great but as she said in an UK interview' money & a good plastic surgeon do help' enough said me thinks!

At least she was honest,poor Faye maybe not enough money she looks very strange!! Ida

Duchesse said...

Before we ascribe qualities to these women, we might pause to consider that all except Love are very experienced actors able to use their faces and bodies to portray whatever qualities they want. In posed photos of actors (given reasonable mental acuity) what is revealed is what they choose, or are directed to show. I rather like that Love shows what seems to be a natural breast for many women of her age.

une femme said...

Courtney Love seems to take trashy to new heights, but that's her schtick I guess.

Faye looks a bit scary. Jane and Jodie look fabulous. (A couple of years ago I saw Jodie with her kids at a nearby park, and she's refreshingly *normal* looking, pretty in a natural way, not all plastic and "enhanced" the way so many actresses appear when you see in person.)

Belle de Ville said...

Plot twists instead of problems...I like that!

Elizabeth said...

Your friend's view of no problems is refreshing. Some of those pictures are not so refreshing to look at. I refuse to have close-up pictures taken of me, and I hate digital cameras that can pull you so close!

quintessence said...

Interesting take on things - I think it does buy you a bit of relief to think that someone or something else is orchestrating it all. As for the women - I must admit that I met Jane Fonda years ago when we were working on her iconic exercise book. She is very dynamic - attractive, in GREAT shape, smart, professional - essentially impressive in almost every way - and clearly still is!

catscats16 said...

i looked at Courtney Love and agree BUT as I said to myself, she is natural, no boob job to make her stick up and out, pure natural-good on her

BigLittleWolf said...

"Twists in the universal plot of life."

Love it!

(And the pics are indeed striking.)

Shelley said...

Dunaway is a rather sad example of too much surgery. Love's breast might not be all about age; some women have long breasts in their youth. She's always gone out to shock. Fonda and Foster look great to me.

Anonymous said...

Fonda has had so much "work" she looks like Carol Bernette. She can afford better ones than those Viet Cong Doctors that she must have used. Bleeeeaaaaach!

Cathi said...

I like the way your friend thinks, it's a refreshing way to look at "mishaps" in life.

I am all for aging naturally, myself.

Have a fun time with your friend! xxoo :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...