Saturday, May 14, 2011

On The Streets of Paris


We're back in business.

Yesterday's post, lost forever -- and a great loss it was indeed -- but not forgotten. Or, not completely forgotten.

I have cobbled it together today. Some of the sparkle and brilliance (am I obnoxious or what?) will be missing, but the basics remain.

Let me tell you about Thursday on the streets of Paris.

Everything was going swimmingly, lovely women, seemingly flattered by my song and dance routine accompanied by legitimizing card and major repertoire of compliments (always sincere, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be asking them for a photo op).


A close-up of the charming woman's shoes above. They're from Pierre Hardy. (Of course I asked.)
And then boom!

I approached an attractive woman in front of my favorite Monoprix -- always a great hunting ground because verrrrry chic women shop chez Monoprix. As I was saying, I started my spiel: "Pardon me, madame, I think. . ." (This is where I insert the compliment.) Before I could get to the good part, she whirled around, eyes blazing and said to me, "No." Actually she said, "Non."

Dumbfounded, I sputtered out, "I'm not trying to sell you anything, I. . ." She stopped, turned to me and said, "I don't care what you want, the answer is "Non, non, et non."

OK then.

These set-backs, although I've never had an experience remotely like that before, send me reeling back into my car and off to the country. Thanks to her, I can only offer you three Paris pix.

Not to worry, I will have recovered by next week and will once again venture out.
The line outside the "everything must go" sale at the Companie Française de L'Orient et de La Chine (C.F.O.C.  ).  
I hope you're having a perfect weekend. It continues to be beautiful in and around Paris.

A demain.

17 comments:

Spiral Style said...

Yes, so sad our posts were lost. Arrived in Paris on Thursday. The weather was lovely on Friday and looks like Saturday will be as well. I see the "ballerinas" everywhere. Paris women are so chic. I am soaking it all up and memorizing details.
Happy Weekend.

AC Quigley said...

Your blazing French lady was obviously having a bad day! Glad that it doesn't put you off completely as I love your out & about photos.

knitwit said...

The things you have to put up with to bring the rest of us a little Paris style! But believe me, those of us worlds away, in our rubber boots and baggy flannel shirts, appreciate it soooo much.

Yonks said...

Do you actually need to have people's permission. I know that it's very polite of you but the paps seem to have no problem with publishing anything. You could invest in a good telephoto lens and then they wouldn't actually know you were taking their photo. You only have one aim and that it complimentary! Just a thought.
Love your blog. eminds me that I don't go to Paris often enough. X

Francine Gardner said...

My post on Paris (as a guest blogger for Greige) was lost as well, but was able to resurect it , without comments sadly... at least on my blog, would love to hear if you have tried any of these favorite restaurants of mine.
A bientot....

Anonymous said...

You should have snapped her picture as she was saying "NON!"
You are too kind in asking for permission. You could lie and say you were taking a picture of the building behind them.

Deja Pseu said...

Ah Tish, the tribulations you endure for us! Not just the "non" but look at that line!

Love those Pierre Hardy shoes. *Those* I could wear (no longer find flats comfortable, need at least a bit of heel).

LPC said...

Rude, rude, rude, rude, rude. But these things happen. Your posts of French women reassure me. Their looks are so doable. Thank you.

Parthenope said...

A women with such bad manners does not deserve to feature on your charming blog !

ParisGrrl said...

I'll bet she simply didn't understand what you were asking for...I shop at one of the Monoprix stores all the time and people stand outside our store all the time trying to sell things or pass out samples. And don't forget that the French put an emphasis on the word "non" that makes it seem stronger to us than they mean it to. But you get the Guts Award for talking to people like that--I still get nervous even after a year here.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

She must have been very out of sorts to be so rude...
I appreciate the lengths that you go to to bring these images to us.

That must be quite the sale!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

The other ladies are so wonderful to look at, you don't need the "grumpy gus!!" There is a naysayer in every crowd! Just remember, she probably had issues with something or someone that had NOTHING to do with you! I love the first woman...I think she will inspire me for my look tomorrow!

BigLittleWolf said...

Wow. A "non non et non" !?! Etonnant, ça.

Her loss. Love the pics though!

the gardener's cottage said...

pardon my french but wow, what a bitch she was. how rude!

i really love these photos of average women on the streets. thanks for putting yourself out there for us.

xo
janet

Louise said...

I came across your blog recently and I love it. Thanks so much for taking these "out and about" photos - it is great to see what Parisian women are wearing. I'm sorry to hear you got nasty treatment. Her loss!

Anonymous said...

In the first photo, the mannequin in the store is wearing a lovely navy and white striped sweater. I love it.

Elizabeth said...

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribs with the woman chez Monop! I always wondered if fashion photographers asked permission or if they just snapped. Do you do both, or only ask permission first?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...