Tuesday, May 31, 2011

News & Views, This & That

Ines de la Fressange in her navy cashmere sweater from Monoprix with daughter Nine in hers from Bompard.  
Welcome to an essay in defense of Monoprix. You know I love the place, so the discourse is not without prejudice.

Please remember, I can only speak from my experiences. My generalizations may not be yours. (There, I think I've qualified the subject to death.) One cannot compare Monoprix to Target, even when it's pronounced "Tar-jaay."

Yes, I'm aware that designers produce capsule collections for Target, and some seem sort of cute, but usually the materials make my teeth hurt. There's something skimpy, nothing special about them (my impressions). Meanwhile at Monoprix the silks, cashmeres, cottons and linens are lovely and provide perfect fill-ins for two types of wardrobe needs:

One can't get more classic than this linen tunic.

1.) The basics. T-shirts of all sorts, styles and colors at rock bottom prices. All nicely finished and the cotton is truly luxe. If one wants a single item dabble in a wild, trendy color without full commitment, this is the time and place.
Wonderfully affordable linens in the summer -- tunics, shirts, shift dresses. And, they're keepers. I've had some of my tunics for years. The other day I bought my daughter a short-sleeved, knee-skimming linen shift.                                                                                                                                                            

 The cashmeres are light and reasonably priced. They come in amazing colors and there are always a few unexpected designs like marinieres this season for example in gray and red or navy and red stripes.



Last fall, the king of cashmere, Lucien Pellat-Finet, designed these cashmere sweaters for Monoprix.

2.) A flash of fashion. Always, one can find something of-the-moment or better yet, something unexpected like mariniere dresses, linen skimmers, sweet open-toed espadrilles with a bow, great belts to give the basics a shot of color --  shocking pink, electric yellow, neon blue, lime green.

A new design team is behind the brand and it shows.


Whenever I shop in my favorite Monoprix(s) I see incredibly chic women perusing the racks and shelves. It's another great place to find beautiful underpinnings and pretty, light cotton sleep wear including long cotton pajama trousers from the men's department.

Let's see, how shall I put this? One doesn't see the "trash" element one often observes at seemingly comparable emporiums. Monoprix has the French twist.

Ines in the same navy cashmere sweater with her daughter Nine.
As Ines de la Fressange said in an interview in this week's Figaro Madame magazine when asked the question, "What is a Parisienne?"

". . . my sense is she is a woman who knows how to melange the expensive and the inexpensive, the new and the old, a T-shirt from Monoprix and a bracelet from a fine jeweler."


News Report: Regarding the activities of Une Femme and A Femme (you're already here): lots of fun, gossip, walking, talking, talking, talking, shopping, sipping and tonight dinner with our Reasons-For-Being-Married.

Aside: You asked why I have a discount at Monoprix. I have a Monoprix card and whenever I buy something I get points and then one magic day a notice arrives by the post telling me to come in and use my points, i.e. discounts.  Very exciting as you can imagine.

21 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Your post is timely...I have been in search of the perfect, V Neck T..which feels great and fits great. So far, I am still looking..now you have sent me in a new direction. THANKS!!

LuxeBytes said...

J'adore Monoprix!

xoxoxo

quintessence said...

Wish we had a Monoprix here - I'm sure I would earn all sorts of extra points!!

JMW said...

I love navy and white together, especially white pants. And, the espadrilles are fabulous, too!

Beryl said...

I meant no disrespect to the wonderful Monoprix, but I did say "Super Target". Of course, if there were a Monoprix in Tulsa, I would visit it first. But last year, I got Espadrilles exactly like that first pair, except with a wider stripe, at Target. My Target cashmeres have washed wonderfully for years and outlasted all my Nordstrom and other name brand cashmere with no pilling. (And they were so inexpensive that I have actually slept in them when the weather got especially cold.) My Monoprix socks and Target socks are hard to tell apart. Same with my solid color scarves. I understand your impression of Target, since as our economy has weakened, Target has filled in with lesser quality things, especially with the trendy items.

Shari said...

Interesting, Beryl. I've only been in a Target a handful of times - and then only for kids' clothes when my children were small. My impression (perhaps false) was that it was similar to K-Mart. Perhaps I should take another look now as the quality of Macy's clothes has definitely gone downhill. I've taken to shopping online, but sometimes that leads to rude surprises with fabric & sizing.

I am looking forward to visiting Monoprix next week. I'll send mon mari to the wine section while I check out the tees & espadrilles!

Say "hello" to Deja Pseu for us please, Tish. Is the weather still good for you? I heard there is a thunderstorm in the forecast this weekend. (Of course, that's just another excuse to spend the time indoors shopping!)

Rubiatonta said...

I miss Monoprix -- I always got good stuff when I shopped there.

Target I don't have such good luck with -- there's always something off about their trendy things, the same way there is with H&M and Zara. Too close to tat. (That said, I've got a pair of Cherokee khakis from Target that must be 5 years old, and they still look great, in that worn-and-loved way.)

Northmoon said...

Waiting anxiously for your report on the day with Une Femme so I can live vicariously through your adventures.

ParisGrrl said...

Let's just say the Monoprix carte de fidelité and I are good friends. I had a positive experience at one when I first visited Paris, and am a frequent customer now that I'm living here full-time. I just got back from a trip to the States, and I'm not sure there is an equivalent to the Monoprix there...some WalMarts and Targets have surprisingly good basics, but Monoprix seems to worry less about price (which can still be expensive compared to the stores mentioned above) and more about offering the essence of both timeless and of-the-moment trends. One thing for sure, if you see it, grab it, because merchandise turns over fast! Now, given what I've read, I'm going to be surprised if Une Femme loves MP as much as you and I do, but if she doesn't love it, take me with you next time.:-)

Catherine Robinson said...

Oh... to be in Paris...I'd be a frequent visitor!
Great post.
http://wwwcatherinerobinsoncashmere.blogspot.com/

Deja Pseu said...

I apologize for ever comparing Monoprix to Target! It's fabulous!!!

barratt_ann1 said...

Not much of a contribution to the Monoprix/Target debate I know but there are no photos of Ines in my English version of Parisian Chic - only her daughter. Have I been short-changed????

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Tish, I hope you had a great weekend.

I LOVE the wedges and the star cashmere jumpers. I'm not spending at the moment but hopefully that will change soon xx

BigLittleWolf said...

Love the espradilles! (And I've always found the best surprises at Monoprix.)

Anonymous said...

If there was a Monoprix here I would definitely shop there! The H&M is usually disappointing when I stop in. Target is my only hope. I only buy natural fabrics and you can't beat the price for basics.

YONKS said...

I am loving those espadrilles too - I have just bought myself severalpairs and plan to live in them all summer - they aresuch good value.
OXOX
Dianne

pve design said...

If only we had a monoprix here. :(
I used to travel 2 x a year to Paris and stock up on cotton undies and t's and a fun accessory!
pve

Karena said...

I have been looking for the espadrilles. Very exciting pieces for summer fun!

I am hosting A New very Exciting $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

frugalscholar said...

I wrote about Monoprix a few days ago--I'm looking forward to getting some food there.

That linen tunic is gorgeous--maybe there will be one left when I get to Nantes (June 18).

I need to stop by your blog more often. Wonderful reading. Merci bien.

Joan said...

Oh, the S'miles card? I always forget and use my points at the grocery store. But that may change, as they have just opened a new Monoprix in Mantes which is much nearer to where I live than Versailles. Monprix and I go back to the early eighties-- I remember stopping in on my lunch hour to window shop, and sometimes buy!

Pearl said...

LOVE love love Monoprix. I have bought chic winter hats, cashmere sweaters, linen blouses, pearl necklaces, scarves, and purses. No shame, no judgment--love it all. As well as high quality beauty products.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...