Friday, May 27, 2011

News, Views, This & That. . .

Mother and child by Mary Cassatt. 
Of course I intended to take on-the-street pictures in Paris earlier in the week. I really did. However -- and this is an excuse you will understand -- I ran out of my cards. Now, many of you have suggested I should snap and run, not ask permission. The problem with that technique, which, btw I like very, very much, is the fact I'm not certain it's legal.

Do I have the right to photograph a non-public person and "publish" it on a public blog? I'm not sure, and on the outside chance I do not have the right, I truly do not want to end up in a courtroom. And, as I've said, the house is in my name so you can see why I hesitate.

My new cards will be finished late this afternoon. One set is medium gray with Bordeaux printing, the other light gray with navy blue. Who could refuse such elegance. . .?

I shall now try to redeem myself with useful information, as in actionable. You can run right out and buy this stuff and feel smug and smart (in the two senses of the word).

Produits Pour Maman et Bébé




As those of you who have been visiting this space for a while know, I am addicted to ABC Derm, a cleansing liquid for babies. I have been using it for three years as my principle facial cleanser. It's a miracle in a modest plastic bottle.

I also sometimes use Topicrem an "Ultra-Hydratant" body lotion, originally created for bébé. Supposedly Catherine Deneuve agrees with me. I read that. She didn't tell me herself.

I'm telling you this today because once again I've discovered I'm waaaaay ahead of the curve in my product preferences. It's frightening really.

Less glamorous, ever and always for bébé, but now maman likes the cleansing milk as well.











Above, several products purpose-made for mother and child. It's a new marketing approach apparently. Why didn't I think of this? It's the story of my life.

Herbal Remedies




Yes, I believe in them and have some great herbal "sleeping pills" which work when I'm exhausted and have no problems trotting through my head. But that's another story.

What I'm talking about at the moment is a remedy for one's herbs or a herb preserver. The system is from La Carpe  and promises fresh herbs stay fresh for up to three weeks inside the thingie pictured above.

The bottom is filled with water, the premise being that the stems drink in the water like cut flowers, and the snap-on top creates a sort of greenhouse effect, except cold, because you keep the whole thing in the refrigerator.

No, I do not plan to buy one because as you may recall I have my very own potager. When I need fresh herbs I walk out the back door with my scissors and snip, snip, snip. I might even grab a tomato or a cucumber.

7 comments:

Villette said...

Tish, you are right to be careful with publishing pictures of private people in public places. The law in France is very different from the law in Anglo-Saxon countries, or so I hear from British journalists. In Britain, for example, as long as you are standing on public property, you can snap and publish what you like. Not so in France, where 'privacy' can be stretched to cover nearly everything, everywhere. You are right to ask permission. Regrettable, but true: there are stylish women in Paris who will never be pictured in this splendid blog. Dammit.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love the Mary Cassatt painting. Have you read the book "Lydia Cassatt reading the newspaper paper"? It's a fascinating story of what it was like to pose for your sister and the special relationship they had.

Shame about running out of cards. You're smart to be careful. One never knows.

And thank you for not having the word verification. Commenting on blogs is so much more pleasant without them.
Sam

Class factotum said...

I keep my green onions, basil, cilantro, etc, in water in the fridge, but just in an ordinary drinking glass. That seems to do the trick for a good long while. I'm not sure the cover is necessary. But it is cute.

James said...

Mary Cassatt was my youngest daughter's favorite artist. Thank you for the pleasant memory jog.

BigLittleWolf said...

The Cassatt is lovely. But now you have my mind on the potager that a French friend created for me some years back. It flourished for 3 years or so, but I've allowed it to fall into neglect.

I need to tend to it - so I can have fresh basil, dill, mint, rosemary, and other goodies straight from the yard. (Tomatoes? You're so good! I haven't quite room for that.)

quintessence said...

Most definitely better safe than sorry with the card/photographing issue!! Your color combos for your cards sound divine! I may just have to try the baby aisle at my drug store for some new products - what a good idea! And I'm loving the herb preserver - I can't tell you how many chives I end up throwing out. Wishing you a lovely weekend!!

Francine Gardner said...

You certainly do not want to end up in a french courtroom...
Great idea for preserving fresh herbs, will try to find when i go to france next week.
have a great week end
Francine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...