Tuesday, May 10, 2011

News, Views, The Latest, Greatest, etc.

Money, money, money. From Tatty Divine .

My "News & Views" notebook is filled with news bytes which means organization is the rule of the day. As I always say, a headline is better than an awkward transition sentence. Surely you agree? Furthermore, clever transitions are not that easy to write particularly if the goal is a smooth move from subject to subject. Enough of that.

Let's get to it then.

Would You Wear A Snake?



OK, not literally, but still. . . The dress from Miu Miu has a serpent coiling up the body. As I write this I'm getting twitchy. Yes it's a "motif" in a silk pattern, but I don't get it.

A Little Bit Salty, A Little Bit Spicy


Lindt is on to something.  Wrapped up in its new -- to me -- chocolate bars are recipes that satisfy one's craving for sweet and salty. No longer are we obliged to sprinkle our chocolate with salt.

 For those who like sweet, you have the chocolate, for those who like salty, you have grains of sea salt in your chocolate. As for the chili, I don't know what to say. I'm aware of the fact many chi-chi chocolatiers have invented such concoctions, but it doesn't do anything for me.

The salted chocolate however, now we're talking.

Everything Must Go




Some months ago, I told you about one of my favorite boutiques in Paris, Compagnie Française de L'Orient et de La Chine (C.F.O.C.).  To my great regret, they are closing their doors forever. Everything from the china, antique furniture, jewelry, baskets to the clothes, the extraordinary clothes is marked down 75 percent. No sliding scale of percentages. When the doors opened for the sale May 7th every pricetag showed 75 percent off.


I cannot even tell you how many pairs of their trousers I own, plus a couple of jackets, silk shells, two tunics, and some simple and simply lovely jade pendants. They are the perfect go-to pieces, all in crepe de chine, satin, raw silk or linen. Often I would pass by merely to look at the gorgeous offerings, visit the manager who has become a friend, gossip with her and leave. No purchase.

I do recommend for those of you who live in or near Paris or will be visiting soon, rush in to see if you can find something before it's too late. We all have, theoretically, until the end of June.

A Collar of Dollars. . .
I'll keep this simple. We have here a necklace dripping with "$50 bills" made from perspex. If it weren't so expensive, 537 Euros, it could be a "fun?" gift. Maybe. It's from Tatty Divine -- perfect name don't you think?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I could look like that particular woman in that particular dress, yes I would happily wear a snake! Actually I like the motif in fashion and have some "pets" in my jewelry. Chacun a son gout, as they say...

The Fashionable Traveler said...

Love the Miu Miu dress, but love the fleur de sell chocolat even more!

Deja Pseu said...

I'm a fan of the chili chocolate, but especially one called Spicy Maya from Chuao.

Ah, so those are the tunics/pants you mentioned...LOVE. What a shame the store is closing; they have some really stunning things.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I would not wear a snake...creepy..but I would wear both of the looks from the boutique..I think I would be sorry to see it go as well!!!

Class factotum said...

I love salty chocolate. Have you tried the Vosges bacon chocolate bar? It could use more bacon, but it is still a divine combination of salty and sweet.

That's Not My Age said...

Love salty chocolate and maybe it's cheaper to make your own money necklace?!

Duchesse said...

Oh no, I'd planned to stop by CFOC in the fall.

Adore Lindt Fleur de Sel (one square from the bar per day!) and unlike some others recommended it is both widely available. Also often on sale- and not expensive to begin with.

Euro necklace is for those with too many euros, snakes are a motif I can admire in jewelry but not clothing.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I adore salty chocolate...
I have not seen these bars here but will go looking for them.

I would not wear a money necklace although as a young woman I wore a charm bracelet made with Canadian coins.

How unfortunate that your favourite shop will be closing, I hope you scooped up some bargains.

Belle de Ville said...

I love the chili chocolate. It is delicious...and healthy or so I tell myself.

The collar necklace, I don't even have the words to describe how vile I find it.

Tabitha said...

Oddly I found that the salt made the Lindt bar too sweet.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Tish, that necklace is really expensive!

I love Lindt ginger chocolate at the moment and salted liquid caramels, they're amazing.

Hope all's good with you and that you bought something lovely in that sale xx

BigLittleWolf said...

No, no, no to snakes! (Can't stand them. Cleopatra can keep them, merci.)

As for the necklace of green? I can think of better ways to spend my Euros... perhaps on my little feet?

:)

Perdita said...

I purchased some marmite chocolate for Easter- it was strangely more-ish, possibly down to salt content. I will look out for that Lindt...

Lorrie said...

Lindt Sea Salted Chocolate - oh YES! Doled out in squares over the week, it's my favorite treat.

Snake motifs anywhere - never.

Love the photos from the shop that's closing. So sad when this happens.

ida said...

Love the 90% dark chocolate,no salt for moi have suddenly developed border line BP,have seen the chilli choc in the shops don't fancy it!!

Think I would be stocking up on those great clothes or are you waiting for the sales? Ida

Anonymous said...

Love Lindt chili chocolate best; always stock a few in the cabinet. Chipotle&chocolate anything for me ... [home-made] brownie, biscotti and latte. Mexican spice ice cream is my first choice... . Am going to make chipotle chocolate chile ! Wear snake as protectant/accessory.
Love your blog. Though this is the first time I post a comment !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...