Monday, May 16, 2011

Country Life -- On-the-Street




These are pictures I was saving for later in the week, but I'm off to Paris again to spend the day with my dearest friend, Judy, and I thought I would post them today since they were "in-house" so to speak.

She leaves Tuesday morning and we have soooo much to do: shopping, dining (My-Reason-For-Living-In-France will participate in that event) and, of course, we have scores of details to iron out about where we'll be living in our golden years.

Yesterday while indulging in a seven hour lunch -- I swear it's true -- at Laduree, we were thinking, maybe a half-and-half. Half of the year here and six months someplace yet to be determined, but with minimal possibility of walker slippage. I love snow, but Judy is getting bored with it. She lives in Detroit. I suggested we try to find a location that features snow two weeks a year.

More about our adventures tomorrow. While we're out and about today I'll take some pictures.

And, BTW, by all means, we would be thrilled to have an "assisted living" community. Of course you can join us. We define "assisted living" as, we help each other. Simple, budget friendly, fun. Enormous sense of humor required. Judy is one of the funniest people I have ever known. Yesterday she deepened my naso labials (smile lines) by about two years.

Back to the pictures: You've been asking me to try to find color -- not an easy task as I've explained -- here it is, sort of. . .

A demain. I'm off. Weather report: sunshine, cardigan chilly.

15 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love my friends that I can have a seven hour long with!!! I like the look of lady number two as well...have fun today!

Monique said...

Your story is nice, and comme je suis en province, je m'inspire des tenues de " a femme d'un certain âge" pour essayer de rester dans le vent.

Class factotum said...

1. I am done with snow. One snow a year I could handle. More than that? Not my favorite.

2. I love the idea of assisted living with my friends. It could be like the dorm in college, only with my own room and without the guy next door throwing a lacrosse ball against the wall every night for a few hours. How fun would it be to be able to walk a few doors down to see your best friend? And someone else do all the cooking and cleaning?

LPC said...

My mother and her Swedish husband looked all over the US and decided on Santa Barbara. One could do worse. If you miss snow, just drive to a mountain, there are a few nearby:). Plus then I can visit a lot...

Claudia said...

After six months of snow, I am with Judy. Ity can snow prettily December 24th and be gone by December 26th. Love the photos - fixated on the shoes today.

Belle de Ville said...

I agree with Lisa, Santa Barbara is just about the perfect place for retirement. But it is a long way away, literally and figuratively, from Paris.
I love it that you had a 7 hour lunch!

bobbi said...

I'm an hour 15 minutes from SB and that means No Big Deal, given LA standards. And the drive is up the coast. With the University of California, SB a few miles away for all things cultural/intellectual - perfect. Part of the town is walkable and quaint. Plus there's the beach. Let me know when you visit for house-hunting! We'll do lunch!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Snow and walkers do not mix well!
Have you considered the south of France?

I like the idea of a large home with guest cottages and a pool perhaps for a wee bit of exercise...you could hire a gardener, cook and caretaker...and if you had enough friends sharing it would be less expensive!

The second image, although not as colourful, is my favourite of them all.

BigLittleWolf said...

I do love those little spots of color...

Anonymous said...

Have I missed something? Where will your husband be living when you and Judy spend your Golden Years together? :)

Lorrie said...

Snow for about 2 weeks a year? That would be Victoria, BC, on Vancouver Island. It's a fun place to live.

Marguerite said...

I'm IN for the femmes d'un certain age retirement collective, Santa Barbara campus! I'll bring my sister who is a nurse and skin care esthetician par excellence. No problem with getting to Paris, we'll just charter something ladies! :)

Linda C. said...

Love these pictures, love this blog! Do you mean you are leaving France in your Golden Years?

tiffany rose said...

When you find that place with snow for two weeks a year, please let me know because that's what I think would be perfect. Your lunch reminds me of the time when my best friend and I talked men and life for eight hours over new year's eve/day, accompanied by bottles of champagne. Starting the year with a hangover is not recommended but thank goodness for a sense of humor. I think we qualify for your assisted-living community.

Spiral Style said...

Like Judy, I live near Detroit too. I like the winter until about January 2, then I am over it. We have a vacation house in the Bahamas to get away from the cold. That will be our 1/2 the year residence in golden years. For now, I rent the house while I am not there and let other people subsidize my vacation get-aways. Win/win!
By the way, I am in Paris right now and I'll bet I walked right by Lauduree yesterday while you were having your long lunch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...