Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Converse Conversation

Aren't they sweet? 

Perfectly understandable, your hesitation to wear Converse high-tops with your evening gowns. I mean really. One would definitely have to be in the Best Dressed Hall of Fame (which Ines de la Fressange is btw) to pull off such an aberration.

Ines, I think we can all agree, never makes a fashion misstep. Whatever she does works because, well, because she is Ines. That leaves the rest of us.




Another DIY project: buy one pair and change the laces every day. What a lark n'est-ce pas?










However, it does not leave the rest of us without Converse sneakers. We have a rainbow of choices in the more feminine, down-to-earth and, yes, I believe, ageless low (read "normal") version.

I see them on French children and women of every age almost every day. Often their tops, sometimes T-shirts, on other occasions a jacket or a shirt, repeat the color of the Converse shoes which makes for a fun, pretty, coordinated -- without being coordinated, of course -- look. One woman last week in my country streets pictures added lilac beads to echo the color of her Converse sneakers. Another wore a taupe version that matched her T-shirt.
Hmmm, "paint spattered" Converse sneakers. Now there's a DIY accessory idea. Never let it be said this blog does not give value and priceless ideas. 


Still, I think very few of us would wear the low look with evening wear. Some women known for their eccentric style might consider donning a pair with tuxedo pants. They might. I know someone (she's French) who would. I wouldn't. But pourquoi pas?


And, by-the-by, you are so right, Frenchwomen do love their extremely feminine Bensimon sneakers. Think ageless.

A "Marcel" from Petit Bateau.
Ed. Note: I'm off to Paris right-this-minute. I plan to buy two gray Marcels and one in white. And, yes, I wear something over them unless I'm sleeping in them. At night I just turn off the lights. It's a wonderful fashion trick. I can't believe I haven't mentioned it before. Under the cover of night a woman can get away with almost anything. . .

22 comments:

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

So funny. My husband can not stand those shoes. Several years ago everyone was wearing them when we were in Provence. Every time he saw a pretty lady wearing them, he would say, "doesn't she have any nice shoes?"

Normally he is very "with it" when it comes to fashions, but he totally does not get the Converse sneaker. Perhaps because he wore black ones as a boy when he played basketball....
Sam

diney said...

I love Converse - they are so easy, funky, casual and, most important, comfy! I bought a pair in the usa when on holiday about 15 years ago and still wear them, believe it or not!! I love the red check ones.

Elizabeth said...

Skinny women can get away with anything. Converse sneakers are adorable.

As I type this I am still in my PJs - cotton bottoms and a men's cotton white tank-top t-shirt that looks just like your Marcel picture. (Cheap at JC Penney's.) You have inspired me to just leave it on and wear it all day!

The Fashionable Traveler said...

I always love the idea of converse but I never feel like I pull it off well. Last fall I bought the UGG version, at least I can enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling one gets from UGG while looking not so cute in my tennie's By the way, love the "Light's off" trick. I had a friend who loved to stay at the Hotel Costes in Paris..."because everyone looks good in that lighting"

knitwit said...

A pair of Converse sneakers is on my wish-list for summer. I haven't bought any yet because there are too many colour choices. I can't decide!

Belle de Ville said...

I love the converse sneakers...all of them, but I wonder sometimes if I'm too old to be wearing them. I wonder, is there an upper age limit for women wearing converse?

Karena said...

Tish,

I adore those green print with pink laces, perfect for summer!!

Last day to enter my Serena and Lily Giveaway!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

vicki archer said...

I am a Converse girl too....especially in the winter and for travelling, xv.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I like the simplicity of the marcel top...
sadly we do not have Petit Bateau here.

I am planning to buy two tanks in white soon to replace the pair from last year..
Like you, I like to wear them underneath another layer.
For me it's a white oversized shirt in cotton or linen over top for a bit more coverage.

The Converse look stylish and remind me that we don't always need to be in ballet flats!

Shari said...

I am beginning to warm to Converse. Everyone I know has a cute pair -- except me. I have actually never owned any and normally completely avoid sneakers; but I have been very seriously considering purchasing a pair. I think you may have just pushed me into it, Tish. These are très adorable. Are they comfortable, too?

BigLittleWolf said...

Oh, they are cute, cute, cute! (But couldn't there be a version with a wee bit of heel?)

I would definitely wear the ones with polka dots, or bright colors with skinny jeans and a fitted t.

But with a gown? Mmmm... probably not.

Villette said...

Tish, thank you so much for this post. You've given me Converse courage! I am now going to go to the shop and try on a pair. I may practice in navy blue before I plunge into lilac...

knitpurl said...

Still don't like Converse. The total lack of any foot support just doesn't make up for the cute styles. But then, isn't that what Dr. Scholl's inserts are for here in the US? Maybe I'm converting. Someone above mentioned age, my dear, it doesn't matter. I am probably beyond Tish's "women of a certain age" and would wear them. It took a number of years, but Tish's blog did convert me to white shirts and probably will to Converse too. xoxo

Catherine Robinson said...

I'm definitely a converse fan...love the grey...and love the idea of wearing them with tux and pants...perfect!
http://wwwcatherinerobinsoncashmere.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

un marcel is simply a wife beater it's just a t-shirt not a cult object

sisty said...

I just bought a pair for roaming around Florida, and I was surprised how comfortable they were over time. mine are similar to the gray ones, but are more white than gray.

I don't think there's an age limit to these, and I'm one of those people who thinks some things should not be worn by a woman of a certain age. There's no confusion that they are strictly casual, fun without being "zany," if you know what I mean. Personally, I'd steer clear of the very bright, patterned ones, but that's just me.

Debra said...

I have been M.I.A. for months..... But God Lord .... You are a wealth of precious information.
Debra @ Lifescapes!!! xxx. I adore this blog!

LuxeBytes said...

Cons always put me in a San Francisco state of mind ... and in my book, there aren't many better.

xoxoxox

Pearl said...

I bought myself a pair of chocolate Converse a couple years back--looking for fun, casual shoes that weren't the white Keds or flipflops everyone wears. Who knew I was chic?

Rubiatonta said...

I adore my Converse All Stars -- white Chuck Taylor Ox Lights, with the low profile sole. They're surprisingly comfortable, and don't feel so clunky. Being a purist, I only buy white tennies. I love them with khakis and a white v-neck tee. Nothing more summery!

Anonymous said...

If you are in the UK good old Marks n Sparks do a cheap converse lookalike in various colours. No advert intended just info.

Claudia said...

I just walked 26 miles in 3 days in Chicago wearing charming and comfortable ballet flats. I came home with 8 blisters. Enough said. I don't want to tour Europe in running shoes but some pert little Converse sneakers may be in my future.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...