Friday, April 29, 2011

Town & Country: Out and About







Time for a confession: I didn't go into Paris yesterday. I had planned to, really I did. Then the rain started, the sun retreated and, well, it didn't happen.

That does not mean however that a broken promise ensues. Not at all. I've gone back into my "archives" (not at all pretentious considering my remarkable talents as a photographer. . .) and pulled out some of my favorite on-the-street shots from Paris and the country. Yes, many (most) of you have seen them, but still they simply confirm our preconceived notions about Frenchwomen: they certainly know how to pull themselves together.





My Parisian Chic book arrived in the mail from Flammarion today. I am not only excited about spending my weekend seeing what Ines has to tell us, but also I'm even more delighted by the fact Flammarion sent me the book with a little "best wishes" note after checking out this space to see if they could trust me.

It's my first freebie in my new position as unpaid blogger. Thrilling. I give you my word, when I review the book on Monday the fact I didn't pay for it will not influence my observations. I mean, what are they going to do? Ask for the book back? Good luck.

Ed. Note: Just returned from my two English conversation classes -- one beginners, the other advanced -- where I had my students watch the royal wedding. Their homework is to write a report for next week. I did this of course because I did not want to miss one second of the event and I definitely did not want to see her dress in replay. Wasn't it perfect? She looked so beautiful and apparently, according to the lip reader over here, William leaned over and told her so when she arrived at the alter.

I presume the queen in sunny yellow reflects her pleasure with the union.

Karl Lagerfeld commentated on one of the channels and offered some colorfully snarky remarks about some of the guests' ensembles. He did approve of the bride's dress and thought her mother looked young and attractive. Basically he said he didn't "see any fashion" in the crowd.

18 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love the street shots whether new or old and they always inspire me to go look in the closet. In the last five years, I have begun to fix up when I run errands ...prior to that it was no make up and sweats...but I always seem to have a better experience even with errand running when I take time to dress. Some of these women seem to be out just running a few errands and look fabulous. So, I am watching the wedding and reading of France...how cultured. I wish I had a fabulous hat to wear while I blog!! BTW...Kate is stunning!

Spiral Style said...

Your first two photos prove that a dog on a leash is the best accessory. Sadly, my puppy is only on loan as I am raising her to be a Leader Dog for the blind. I return her to the organization tomorrow. Her photo is on my blog today.
Even though I live in the midwest, I try to emulate French women when I dress. Thanks for your great photos that to help us all "pull it together".

Rebecca said...

I lean toward simple elegance in style. To me, the first dress in your post is just amazing! I have a few similar dresses. Just need to drop some annoying pounds to be able to zip 'em up. I can't wait!

LuxeBytes said...

I thought Princess Catherine looked gorgeous and modern. I am not a big wedding kind of girl, but it made me teary. I was 14 when Diana got married, and I woke up at the crack of dawn to watch that. Then I woke up at the crack of dawn to watch her funeral. Very poignant to watch her son get married without her. Diana is nowhere and everywhere.

xoxox

LuxeBytes said...

P.S. Tish, wasn't Pippa's dress spectac? I'll go on record for saying that I liked it even more than Catherine's. I was delighted by the Sarah Burton choice, of course.

Belle de Ville said...

Except for the little dog, the woman in the first photo looks like I did in Paris back in 1998. I had a dress in virtually the same cut and color, short blonde hair and a very slim figure.

BigLittleWolf said...

Wonderful pictures! (But I admit, today, I'm all about the classic (Princess Grace) look of gorgeous Kate, and the pleasure of watching the royal wedding.)

xoxo

James said...

I quite agree with LuxeBytes, if there was a vote for "Stunner in the Non-bride Category" Pippa would have won hands down.As for no fashion, I guess there weren't any Lady Ga-Ga wanna-bes. However there were lots of classy ladies in the Abbey. I do love the hats.

Shari said...

LuxeBytes, I was 14 also when Charles & Di were married and I remember it well. I am by no means a sentimental person, but I surprised myself today by tearing up when Will kissed Kate on the balcony as I was thinking of Di not being able to witness it. Kate was simply beautiful. I agree wholeheartedly about Pippa, but hated Camilla's dorky hat.

You almost had me fooled, Tish, as it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th pic that I realized something seemed familiar.

Shelley said...

Must admit you could sort the toffs from the celebs by their hair. Many of those upper class women were having very bad hair days and I'm not convinced they have any differently. Beyond that I thought everything was about as perfect as it could have been. Mind, the mention in the comments about Lady Gaga, I was thinking that Beatrice and Eugenie both looked grim and sour, but at least Eugenie waived to the crowd a bit and her make up definitely reminded me of Lady Gaga.

AC Quigley said...

French ladies do have a style and elegance all of their own as your photos certainly show. And I think that Kate looked fabulous and her choice of flowers for the bouquet was a nice touch - Sweet William! Aaaaah!

JMW said...

I love the first photo - that gray dress is fabulous. And the woman sporting the sleeveless number with the white pants, also fab! The wedding was a delight to watch - Kate is stunning. I am so happy for them.

Duchesse said...

KL might have been annoyed at the preponderance of British designers on show. She looked sublime, and if not for her tumbling hair, could have been from any of the preceding four or five decades.

Should kick off a wave of attendants in ivory. I recently went to an evening wedding where bridesmaids wore their LBDs, bride in ecru, very elegant.

SewingLibrarian said...

I hope the Princess starts a fashion for sleeves in wedding dresses. I'm so tired of strapless wedding dresses. She looked fabulous.

Virginia said...

I"m a southerner, not France sadly. I have visited Paris quite a few times. I know that I will never really fit in but always hope that I "blend in". I look forward to reading you blog.
V

Class factotum said...

That first dress is so gorgeous. I might have to drag my sewing machine out and make something like that for myself. I haven't sewn my own clothes in years and years, but I am getting tired of not being able to find what I want in the stores. Or, at least, find what I want at a price I am willing to pay.

L'age moyen said...

Your streetstyle shots are fab. Love the lady in the grey dress and flats. I notice how simple the hair is in every shot. Low maintenance, longish, and quite natural looking. It looks like the saying is true, there are no brunette Frenchwomen over 40!

California Girl said...

I loved the wedding. It was a joy to watch. She was truly elegant and even regal. He looks so much like his mum whose wedding I well remember. I think the Brits were happy because the couple was so happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...