Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dressing Up & Staying In: Part VI



Lana Turner dressed for who knows what? She looks confused.

With remarkable talent, humor and creativity, we've demurred; we've danced about and detoured around the hot topic.  No more. 

In the sixth chapter of our bedtime story about "Dressing Up and Staying Home" Christina Lindsay, the immensely talented and extraordinarily glamorous creator of the, well, supremely glamorous blog,  Fashion's Most Wanted (I realize I'm being redundant, but you'll understand when you visit her), adds a new dimension to our conversation. 

Let's put it this way, Christina has made seduction a lifestyle. Lounge wear, sleep wear, seduction wear, the distinction is moot.

She knows and loves fashion; she has a penchant for vintage; she understands quality, cut, and design; she's gorgeous (a detail that has never been a drawback in any situation), AND she is a bargain maven. 

Christina's chapter is a picture expose - a very appropriate word as you will see. She owns every piece you see featured, some modeled by her "friend" Tallulah.

It must be lots of fun chez elle in London.

**Ed. Note: Assuming one can never have enough of a good thing, I've made a serious editorial decision: Christina will be back next week with more of her "at home wear."

Over to Christina...


Rita Hayworth - I love a bit of old Hollywood glamour

As an avid reader of Tish's fantastic blog I was very flattered to be asked to contribute a post on the subject of:  "What is the difference between sleepwear, seduction wear and lounge wear?"  Of course I said yes immediately as I love dressing up.

I'm well known amongst my friends for never dressing down.  I don't even dress down at home... well not often!

Since 2000 I've been buying most of my clothes on e-Bay as I can't resist a bargain and tend to get rather carried away in shops.  Needless-to-say, in my twenty odd years of buying clothes I have acquired quite a collection.  I have a whole rail my friends refer to as "The after dark section".

My boyfriend (The Actor) loves me dressing up to go out or stay in.  He hates T-shirts and track suit bottoms, so it's lucky I don't own any.  I often dress up in ridiculous things for fun at home, although admittedly that's not as often as when I first met him!  Comfort is definitely a factor too.

A few of the things I own may be a bit over the top for some people's tastes but stay tuned as I have a large variety.  I love glamorous clothes and tend to buy mostly silk, satin, velvet, cashmere and marabou for wearing around the house.  If you're dressing up for your partner I would always advocate high heels.

At 42-years-old, when everything starts not looking quite as it used (gravity is a cruel thing) I am favouring more of a covered up look. I think you should dress to show your best assets and cover the rest up cleverly. 


1930's silk and lace nightgown


I wore this out as a dress ten years or more ago.  I must have thought I was Cher or something!  I'd put a slip on with it now

I used to collect 1930's nightdresses, I love the bias cut and some of them are so gorgeous you could wear them as evening gowns.  I made friends with some excellent vintage sellers in London, New York and LA, who gave me great prices - they were all between £20 and £80 each.  If you prefer something elegant, these are wonderful and very comfortable for lounging around.  Apparently black is NOT a good colour for loungewear, so I'm told as it's not a relaxing colour, lighter colours are better.


1930's pink silk satin nightgown


1930's peach charmeuse silk nightgown


For something a bit more covered up - 1930's silk satin dressing gown


I'm often inspired by old photographs like this one of Virginia Grey


Here's my budget version - Mary Green silk dressing gown with marabou trim - a bargain at £15 from Ebay

On sleepwear - I  could say, "nothing," when asked the question, "What do you wear to sleep in?" But I like short, silk kaftans and buy them cheaply from e-Bay in China for around £8-15 each.  I have them in lots of  great colors.  If it's cold they also look good with loose, wide-leg pyjama bottoms.


Here's some of mine hanging up straight out of the wash.  They're great for holidays too.


I think you have to complete the look when dressing up, so with the nightgowns a pair of satin mules would be great but any heels will do.


These Giles for Christian Louboutin patent leather stilettos are my favorites.  They were a gift from Giles Deacon, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford them.  I love them but they're not recommended for walking far.


Ed. Note: A hint of what's to come next Tuesday. (I could envision wearing this as a jacket over a long-sleeved white T-shirt and cotton pajama bottoms).

Christina has lots more where that came from, and, she'll tell you where that came from. She says it's "quite the show stopper." No doubt.


16 comments:

Dash said...

Ah Christina, the Duchess of Dalston and the Queen of Dressing up and staying in. Some stunning pieces and a fantastic post.
XXX

Tabitha said...

Wow! I didn't think that femme fatales like this really existed. I am seduced!

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

well! I feel I must look like a nun compared to Christina. Bravo Christina and Bravo Letitia for "up and downs" of staqying in fashion. What a diverse lot we are...but we knew that.

LuxeBytes said...

Wow!!

xoxox

Deja Pseu said...

Stunning pieces and fantastic staging!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

ooh la la...staying tuned for tomorrow!

Ms. Moon said...

I love Christina here, I love Christina there. I love Christina EVERYWHERE!
Beautiful site, Tish!

Shari said...

Gorgeous, classy, timelessy elegant. Merci, Christina.

BigLittleWolf said...

The 30s gowns are amazing. (Those Louboutins are sculpture, but even I wouldn't attempt to walk in them.)

xoxo

MyStyle said...

Hi there-what a decadent and chic post, Christina has elegance to a fine tee!! xxx

sacramento said...

My wonderful Chistina, I can just picture you in all those wonderful numbers, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I think I would wear to go out, so beautiful they are.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Wildernesschic said...

Christina has the most amazing wardrobe or should I say collection of pieces .. and is as she seems a total glamour puss xx

Fay said...

seems you are in for a cheeky weekend ! and im sure very intersting ! fay x

Terri said...

I love the flow of the gowns cut on the bias! And what wonderful items to collect.

quintessence said...

I am a huge fan of Christina's!! She is the perfect contributor for this series. I often wonder where she houses her immense glamorous collection of goodies. Not only do Christina and Tallulah always look fabulous but they have (very interesting) stories to tell!!

Beth - In My World... said...

LOVE this post...can't wait for more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...