Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dressing Up & Staying In: Part IV




















Katherine Hepburn at home with Spencer Tracy, proving the question lounge wear versus seduction wear may be moot.


Take out your Kleenex before you begin reading Chapter Four of our "Dressing Up & Staying Home" saga. If you have yet to apply mascara, hold off.

Perhaps if you are a member of the tribe to which the author, Lisa, of Amid Privilege belongs -- les High WASPs -- you may instead whip out your monogrammed Irish linen handkerchief (probably the only thing you own from that country unless someone has given you a Waterford decanter or two).

Prepare to weep with laughter.

My inclination as the introduction to anything conceived (sorry about the word choice Lisa) and written by the sublimely brilliant, funny, thoughtful Lisa would be to gush, but WASPs don't gush. It's not in their DNA. And they tend not to trust the gusher.

Let me say however: Seriously, Lisa, job well done, bravo. Does that work?

Oh, yes, she writes like a dream -- a tad intimidating actually. 

You will love this, of that I am sure. If you're looking for a daily dose, you know where to find her, Amid Privilege. Where else?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

















Katherine Hepburn in lounge position.

Hello, all of Tish's wonderful readers. I am here to add my two cents on sleepwear vs.loungewear vs. seductionwear. There's only one problem. My culture of origin doesn't believe in seduction.

That's right. High WASPs don't seduce. They don't even say the word. And Sturdy Gals, my subspecies, do so least of all.

If you wonder, what on earth I mean by a Sturdy Gal, the queen of our tribe is Katherine Hepburn. We wear trousers and flat shoes. We fall in love on rivers in Africa. We have good upper body strength, and are apt to remember to bring the cheese grater.

So let's just move straight to sleeping and lounging. Imagine the Sturdy Gal, hair clean, pulled back in a scrunchie, reading glasses perched on her nose. It's early spring. Still a little chilly. What will we find?

Sturdy Gals come in several subspecies. The New Englander shops at the Vermont Country Store, or Sierra Trading Post. No robe needed. Just repurpose a fleece. It's cold up there. Puppy required.

The Californian shops at Garnet Hill, of course. For organic cotton. Her Artsy sister gave her these ballet shoe slippers but the straps annoyed. Soon exchanged for Garnet Hill mules. As long as they fit.

The Urban Gal picks up her PJs anywhere. Old Navy makes the best cheap flannel. Her tee is apt to display some sort of art. In the city, a little cools rubs off even on the sturdy. Everything's gray. Cities overwhelm us with the visual, we keep it very quiet, at home.

All Sturdy Gal sub-species abhor shorties. The whole point of a nightgown is to be able to curl your feet up into a voluminous tent, for warmth and comfort.

But, you might ask, how then do Sturdy Gals find love? How then do Sturdy Gals propagate the species? Simple.

We take our clothes off, having never found that it required much more than that to engage the interest of our male counterparts. We take our clothes off, and perhaps, if we are kicking the project into high gear, we walk across the room.

38 comments:

Me said...

parfois

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I never thought about sleepwear being different in certain places...I guess that would be true! I just don't take my loungewear seriously!

Perdita said...

Ah sturdy gals... I so agree (not that I am a WASP... I only look W because of my mother's celtic genes and the others are non-starters). Nothing irritates me more than the confusion between 'city heiress' and 'lady': in reality 'persons of quality', as the Georgians called them, are more likely to wear sensible slacks than high heels and a wannabe dita costume.

Were I ever to somehow attain 'quality', I should probably jump directly into the sturdy camp.

Pearl said...

As a WASP, I can affirm. While I love long, silky chemise nightgowns, I do tend to end up in flannels and tshirts. With bare feet or thick socks. I thought that was because I had no one to seduce, currently, but perhaps it is DNA. Although I am more Rosalind Russell or Jean Arthur Sturdy Girl WASP than Katharine Hepburn style.

quintessence said...

Too funny!! Lisa can always be relied on for entertaining and astutely observed pieces. And today is no exception. And of course she couldn't be any more direct - what man wouldn't be thrilled with her straightforward approach to getting down to things!!

Genuine Lustre said...

Too funny, Lisa. And here I sit with my morning coffee - yoga pants, huge bulky long cardigan and birkenstocks.

Deja Pseu said...

Love it! Lisa, your wit and brilliance astounds.

Tabitha said...

So funny. I too am a slippers socks and flannel pj's woman, I have friends who open their doors in the morning in silky negligees and dressing gowns- another world to me.

EHP said...

Very, very funny. I am pretty sure my New Hampshire sister-in-law has every item in the Vermont sturdy gal vignette. And the fleece in place of robe could not be more true for new englanders.

Jan said...

Lisa, this could not have been more true - we Sturdy Gals rarely dress in anything frilly, especially to seduce. Just gettin' nekkid is about the extent of it (and my 3 children prove its success).

And I love the idea of Ms. Hepburn being the Queen of my Tribe. I am so not worthy.

Lisa Elliott Grose said...

I must not be a Sturdy Gal. I prefer very fine cotton or linen. And right now the most wonderful thing I can find is J. Peterman's Marie Antoinette Nightshirt (a mere $44, a bargain compared to having Juicy written across one's derriere). My dream seductress gown would be made of fine soft Irish linen, slightly below the knees, a la Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. If that doesn't bring the object of my desire to his knees, he should leave immediately.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Lisa...you are a riot!

Glad that I am lounging in bed without mascara and have Kleenex nearby...
thanks for the warning Tish!

Hostess
XO

Belle de Ville said...

Seriously, how did you come up with my exact sleepwear, the sturdy girl city set. It's been colder than usual this winter so I've added socks to the outfit.
Admittedly not very seductive, but practical.

kathy peck said...

Perfect. Never owned a piece of seduction clothing. It's all about cozy....or nude.

Anna Mavromatis said...

Perfect article of what women of a certain upbringing wear in bed, with a tremendous grand finale!
Lisa, you truly know how to keep THE best for last!

Karena said...

Tish thank yoou so much for featuring Lisa!!

I like Sturdy Girl in the city; two or three layered pieces with long flannels or even yoga pants!

I have a Giveaway from The Zhush I know you will love! Come & join!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Patsy said...

Ironically, Garnet Hill is located deep in New England.

Annoyingly, Lanz moved the neck opening to the front of the nightgown, just when I reached the age where flannel nightgowns are a tad too warm for me to wear thru the night. I'd always worn them backward!

Worthington said...

Hysterical Lisa at AmidPrivilege as always. HA!

Terri said...

It's so true--a good gown allows one to curl up inside it. 'Course, DH has entirely different take on that.

Northmoon said...

A few of my ancestor's high WASP genes must have trickled down to me because the Urban Sturdy Gal is pretty much what I sleep in. Sometimes I change to black or burgundy from the gray just for variety. And of course I add wool socks in winter.

Good to know I don't have to spend money on special sleepwear if I am ever interested in a male of the species!

Anonymous said...

Love this post! Made me smile and chuckle, and even identify with the Sturdy Gal!

Class factotum said...

I would wear seduction gowns if they weren't scratchy and uncomfortable and if they would keep me warm.

But considering we keep our house at 55 at night (and even with that, pay almost $300 a month for heating), thick PJ pants from Lands' End, a long-sleeved t-shirt (from my husband's college days - I look crummy in mustard yellow but I like having warm arms) and thick socks are what I take to bed.

And despite my attire, I have never had any problems attracting my husband's interest.

LPC said...

Hoooray! You guys are all so great! And you know what? If I am spot on it's because, as you know, none of us make any of this up! Seriously. Hugs and kisses and a hundred million thank yous.

Yours,

Lisa

the gardeners cottage said...

ok lisa - that was fucking funny!

xo
janet

the gardeners cottage said...

and so true.

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

It's all about coziness for me as well! Wonderful post Lisa!

Ann said...

Great descriptions.
The only thing I'd add to the Vermont ensemble is that when going from lounging to sleeping, add a pair of thick socks!

James said...

Get guest post, thank you both.

Ms. Bunny said...

Brilliant!

Beth - In My World... said...

Though I am not a Sturdy Girl, I laughed hysterically at this one! Love it!

Bastyan Dresses said...

Thanks for sharing the dressing styles. Awesome......

KCF said...

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Anonymous said...

Another High Wasp here that has purchased many lovely items from "that country". Interesting comment.

Sylvie said...

Oh Lisa, this is a terrific and rather timely post for me. I am such a "Lanz a'lot" for cool/cold weather. My sister is getting married this summer and I am fully torn about the matter of a shower gift of lingerie/seduction wear. I feel as though she (a Northern California Sturdy girl normally in the 3rd polyvore realm) might feel somewhat seductive in something along the lines of the 2nd Polyvore. Thank you for the idea. Everything is relative.

And your means of kicking it up is perfect. Once again simplicity (and good posture) reigns. I'm still smiling about that one.

swissy said...

Adding a late comment from a snowy April Fool's Day in NE, USA. Don't forget that sturdy gals (of any age) can wear thin silk under-tops and bottoms beneath tailored pj's...and have it all. As in taking it off, taking it all off...

LuxeBytes said...

This is so drole. And the point that men just take off the flannel nightgown to see what they want to see is well taken. Very true.

xoxoxo

Staircase Witch said...

Heh. Sensible, unsurprisingly.

While I do have a couple of Lanz nightgowns, I realize I've been wearing the same five L.L. Bean cotton nightshirts for the past ten years, along with leggings and wool socks when it gets cold.

Susan Tiner said...

This is very funny Lisa. I love the part about taking clothes off :-).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...