Monday, February 28, 2011

Taking On The Challenge















































This morning I awoke to an e-mail from my friend Jean Rafferty. It was in the form of a challenge, or perhaps a simple request for information and/or confirmation. 

She said, "My choice is Reese Witherspoon in Armani Privé (from as much as I can see). It may have a non-visible, unqualifying bustle."

She then asked me which actress I thought looked best on the Red Carpet at last night's Oscar presentations.

























I didn't stay up all night to watch the show, therefore I can only turn to the Getty images offered on the Internet (and shown here) which may not include a sublimely gowned and groomed actress I might have chosen. As those of you who know me well, and I think many of you agree with me, I really, really, really wanted to say, "Forget the rest, Helen is the best." Helen Mirren that is -- not Helena Bonham Carter for heaven's sake.  But my beloved Dame Helen turned to the other Helena's favorite designer, Vivienne Westwood, and disqualified herself from first place.

Do we like her new, short haircut? 

My favorite dress was the Art Deco-y inspired slither of beads by Naeem Khan worn by Annette Bening. However, I have a few words I would like to address to Ms. Bening: Please, please do something with your hair and that new, weird smile of yours -- I suppose it's to lift and smooth your chin and neck -- is more like a grimace and makes the cords on your stretched out neck look terrifying. Your welcome, any time.





































































Other favorites of mine include: Sandra Bullock in Vera Wang, Gwyneth Paltrow in Calvin Klein, Rhea Durham (Mark Wahlberg's wife) in Naeem Kahn and sorta, kinda, Halle Berry. Regarding Halle Berry's Marchesa gown -- not that anyone is asking me -- I would have ripped off that pile of tulle before leaving the house. It did make her look like she was walking on a cloud, but it also looked like a design afterthought and completely unnecessary. 
























A special award should go to the sublimely divine Rodarte dress Natalie Portman chose.  She certainly knows how to rock waiting for baby.  Don't you just love the tassel earrings from Tiffany? 
























Jean's choice, Reese Witherspoon. I agree, it's sober and elegant.

19 comments:

Tabitha said...

My favourites were Gwyneth in Calvin Klein and Celine Dion in a stunningly simple Armani Prive gown

Francine Gardner said...

Loved Gwyneth, beautiful, classy, elegant

Gina said...

Helen Mirren, year after year, always stunning.

Spiral Style said...

Loved Gwyneth's dress and LOVE Natalie's earrings.

a Broad said...

I will just say that I agree with you 100% .. especially about Annettes smile/grimace.
She has such a great little face too.

I do love Helen Mirren's haircut .. really. She is lucky to have the face for it.

I love Gwyneth Paltrow but the need to have straight hair drives her to lank/flat extremes..
Sandra Bullock looked fabulous and carried off Red so very well.

Natalie Portman is just a doll, a beautiful talented petite doll. And yes, I want those tassle earrings :)

LuxeBytes said...

I loathe every single thing about Gwyneth Paltrow, and I hope she lives a very, very long life because hating on her gives my life meaning.

Natalie Portman's dress was gorgeous, especially the unusual color, but whoever told her to accessorize with earrings, shoes, and a clutch that matched ought to be fired. And so should her hairstylist. On one of the biggest nights of her life, she ought to have looked better.

I thought Helen Mirren looked incredible in every way. Ditto on for Cate Blanchett, who can do no wrong, in her Givenchy. Mila Kunis's Elie Saab was out of this world.

And Anne Hathaway? One incredible couture gown after another. Loved her merlot Atelier Versace and the de la Renta.

Amy Adams should not have worn a necklace with that dress. Great earrings and a nice stack of bracelets instead.

Blanchett and Kunis were my favorite. My husband could not take his eyes off the trompe l'oeil lace effect on Kunis's breasts. I'll give him that; it was an incredible dress.

Lily Lemontree said...

You have picked all my favourites and yes, Ms. Berry should have addressed that tulle froth before leaving the house...uckily she has that gorgeous face to keep the critics occupied!

Brigid said...

I thought Reese looked great and I loved, loved her hair!
Unfortunately I agree with you about Annette - what in the world is going on there?! The grimace is all that I see...

Shari said...

IMO, Sandra Bullock and Jennifer Lawrence, hands down (though I surprise myself as I'm not normally wild about red).

Helen exudes class. She is a role model for me.

I admit that Gwyneth did look lovely and the color & style are more in line with my tastes, but I'm with LuxeBytes that I can't get over my distaste of her on a more personal level.

Reese's hair was divine and B&W is always a winner, esp in so classic a cut, but I'm bothered by the way it fits her, or the way she's standing or something.

I kinda liked Halle's cloud, but agree the dress would have been better without it. Still, the color was perfect for her.

Overall, I noticed a lot of upswept hair; (comparatively) simple dress lines; and absence of jewelry. (I don't watch the show itself, just the morning-after reviews.) The effect was fresh, clean and elegantly understated, no?

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I couldn't tell if Helen's hair was cut, or just creatively upswept. And it was Cate Blanchett for me!

Lilacs In May said...

Gwyneths dress, Natalies earrings and Helens body - at any age.

cigalechanta said...

Reese looked elegant and it was nice to see someone wear a strapless dress that didn't look like she was poured into it and forgot to say when!

Chicatanyage said...

Helen Mirren is definitely one of my role models. I love her short hair and thought the colour of her dress was very flattering, just not sure about the puff sleeves.

Suzanne Vachon said...

I definetly associate with Helen Mirren, I imagine it is because we are both a little past our prime....I also love H. Berry. Thanks for your great posts.

decogirlmontreal

That's Not My Age said...

For simplicity, I nominate Michelle William's in Chanel. Natalie Portman looked fabulous, I like Helen Mirren's haircut and the Westwood dress. Love Annette Bening but you're right about the grimace.

Je m'appelle Cynthia said...

I want someone to tailor all my clothes for me. The closest I'm getting is a dress tailored to fit for a wedding in June. Note to self - tailored to fit is the most flattering fit, witness the celebrities on the red carpet this Oscar season. Must do!

Rubiatonta said...

I loved Annette Bening's dress, and agree that she needs a better style and less severe color. She's cuter as a blonde.

And Melissa Leo's dress was stunning. The collar, the short sleeves, the decolletage. Battenberg over gold lame. Who'da thunk it?

Frenchy said...

Beautiful !!! Gwyneth is my favorite :)
Hugs

Alice Olive said...

I also loved Gwyneth and Michelle Williams (who wore Chanel). Both gowns were incredibly simple (timeless) and elegant. Michelle beats Gwyneth in my books because of her fabulous pixie cut.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...