Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Les Soldes, Decisions, Decisions. . .























My oh, if I could I would Chloe coat.


The fork in the road approaches, which way to turn? Do I take the fashion high road or do I ignore all the warning signs and do my own thing? 

Les soldes offer opportunity, theoretically. What to buy; what not to buy; what's in, or more to the point, what will have "in" staying power -- if one even cares -- what's fun, what's done and round and round it goes. 

I neither specifically want nor need anything, but what if by pure serendipity I find better or best out there? I know what I'll do. I'll see an opportunity and leap upon it.

French Elle has decided in its infinite wisdom to give us directions on the bumpy road to error free markdown shopping. The problem is, I really don't care. Of course I don't want to look like a fool, but I already avoided that trap by not pairing heavy woolen socks with delicate heels even though Elle highly recommended the combo.

Now the magazine is telling me NOT to buy the one thing I would buy if I could, the "time stands still, never demode, investment camel hair coat" from Chole. If I am so inclined, Elle has given me permission to purchase a pair of camel trousers. I don't care. I don't like them. I don't want them. I want the coat, which is now deemed too classic, too preppy, too boring.

We're advised to ditch our headbands that look like tiaras. Whew, avoided that at the outset and now I know not to grab one on markdown. 























Louis Vuitton

We're not supposed to buy the Mad Men 50s skirts. I didn't and I wouldn't, but I don't see why someone else might find them appealing. And why not?
























We may keep the socks, because they're warm and winter continues. The question of how we should wear them from this point forward has been judiciously avoided.
























Ah, and our marinière, we can buy another and keep the one we have, BUT -- pay attention now --  we may not wear it the way we always have, straight up. We must "mix it up" somehow with other stripes, prints, under a shirt, over shirt, you get the idea. (The cocktail pictured above is from Donna Karan's 2009 spring/summer collection to give you an idea of the idea.)

As we all know, fashion is a business. What we sometimes forget is that style is not. Frenchwomen rarely -- unless they're in the biz -- forget that truth. 



















Another safe bet, pictured above, the sac cartable from Proenza Schouler (I would never buy a yellow bag, but in another color perhaps).

Of course the magazines report on the latest and the greatest and then a few months later tell us it's time to move on, the greatest is no longer the latest. That's what I find fun about fashion and it's why I continue to buy magazines, but I no longer look at them in the same way. 

I don't care about fashion per se. Yes, it's amusing to see what creative designers are doing, yes it's interesting to see the current color spectrum, the cuts, the influences (Mad Men), the whimsy, the wildly crazy. It's pure entertainment. And, let's face it, there is always something out there that makes our hearts flutter with the thrill of the spectacularly unexpected.

But, I know what I can wear and I don't care about the rest unless by good luck something new fits into my grand scheme. When I veer off my path, I'm always disappointed.

That's what I've learned from Frenchwomen and that's why I would rather sit in a cafe and watch the real deal parading down the street. Talk about creative dressing.

26 comments:

James said...

I really like the bag, even in yellow. Looks very practical.

Gina said...

Love the coat, I have one similar in style but in black cashmere. It is about 15 years old and it is the only coat I wear.
I would NEVER buy a yellow bag, black, brown and wine red will suit me just fine.
Love your post. Could not have said it better.

Deborah said...

Get the coat - you know you want to... And you also know that sales articles in magazines are usually written by femmes tres jeunes!

Deja Pseu said...

I'd go for the coat too. Lately I've felt very disconnected from Fashion. I browse and browse, and try to keep an open mind, but frankly, so much of what I see is just, well....ugly. Or totally unwearable in the context of anyone's life that I know.

LPC said...

Fashion is a business, style is not. So true from so many angles. I think about the supply chain of imagination, of self-image, of fabric.

Looking Fab in your forties said...

Everybody should buy a Camel Coat Chloe or otherwise, you can't beat a bit of investment dressing and some cost per wear mathematics.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love the yellow bag. I think it's a wonderful hit of color; it says, "Look at me! I've got nerve!"

BigLittleWolf said...

As much as I adore Mad Men, non, non et non to those 50s skirts! Now the pencil skirts - always chic.

(So we aren't to wear anything tiara-like any longer?)

Too bad. I guess I'll have to put all that headgear back in the closet. Dommage.

:)

That's Not My Age said...

Beyond school age, socks should only be worn under trousers. And the coat is gorgeous, ignore French Elle, buy it.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Tish, I bought a 100% cashmere vintage Jaeger coat about a year and a half ago on Ebay for £32. My friend Phoebe was the consultant at Chloe at the time and they used that and another secondhand camel coat Phoebe had bought for this collection. If you send me exactly what you want on email I'll see if I can find something for you xx

the gardeners cottage said...

i couldn't agree with you more. few understand the difference between fashion and style. at least that's my observation. well said.

xo
janet

Spiral Style said...

I have a yellow bag and it's hard to find something it doesn't look great with. Camel coat gets my vote.

knitpurl said...

Get the coat, great posts this week. Have been busy so couldn't add my comments. xo, C.

Charlotte said...

Tish, I have a gorgeous yellow bag that I bought from someone who thought she'd love a yellow bag but found it more yellow than she could bear, even though it's a subtle mustard color. Now I'm feeling quite cutting edge. It looks great with gray.

Semi Expat said...

Thanks for the tips Tish and I think go for that coat if you find it! X

K.Bean said...

That coat is a dream.
The distinction between fashion and style is tres important, and I like how you've mapped it out here.

quintessence said...

LOVE the Chloe coat - and I don't care what they say - a fabulous coat like that NEVER goes out of style - all depends on the accessories. But love these thoughts - and all the tips - pretty much what I do as well!

Duchesse said...

Don't read those silly pronouncements, keep watching women in the street whom you admire, and trust your taste.

Socks with pumps: never got, never will.

Not everyone "should buy a camel coat". It washes me out, though always admire a fine one on others, and the Chloe's luscious.

Britta said...

What fashion dictates always reminds me of a column that the German magazine 'Brigitte' had for a long time: the title was "We hope that haven't been you?" and they printed a photograph and showed the DON'Ts. "We hope that haven't been you with the thick eyeliner/short hem/ ugly ballerinas..." - you could be quite sure that after some time they told you how do draw a thick eyeline/shorten you dress/ not to wear high heels...
Fashion is just that: fashion. I think you are quite right to follow your instinct and use it to educate the sense of style - though you don't need it: you are perfectly stylish!

mudderbear said...

You're my hero, and I look for your post everyday.

Rubiatonta said...

Oh, for weather temperate enough to wear a cloth coat (hm, channeling Nixon there, and when does that ever happen?)... We're due for snow and bitter cold tomorrow, which means down, down, and more down. Mme. Bibendum ain't got nothing on me.

Buy the Chloe and wear it on my behalf, please?

BODECI body said...

I love the Chloe coat, too! Oh, you do have taste to die for! Or at least go broke for!

Champagne Macarons said...

Oh Tish, the award is for YOU. I'm so sorry for the error in my post, I feel so silly!
Frenchie's have become very popular recently. I chose the breed as their personality and size fit well with our family. We love them so! Edourd sounds wonderful, and they do weigh a ton.
Wishing you a most lovely weekend!
xoxo, B

Carole said...

I went to Paris a couple of years ago and took my bright yellow bag (from a little shop in Victoria, Canada) with me. It is almost identical to the one you posted! When I carry it I get so many compliments and both men and women asking where I got it. I'm 54yrs old this June and will continue to carry the yellow bag, especially in the grey winter, until it literally falls apart!

CailinMarie said...

too classic? really?
no yellow bags? why not?! I thought bags wre where one can express color without looking like an easter egg

California Girl said...

Wonderful tips and some beautiful pieces. I saw alot of bright yellow bags this year and was tempted by a gorgeous one @ Coach but my inner voice asked, "Will this be something you'll carry a year, two years, etc from now?" Couldn't answer and did not splurge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...