Friday, December 10, 2010

Deck the Halls, Tables, Doors. . . Part V




















Today we come to the end of what I hope you agree, has been a week of singular beauty and creativity. I always thought being an interior designer was one of the most glamorous métiers in the world. Now I'm convinced it's true. Imagine living in these spaces. 

Kit Golson, of the truly stunning blog, Chic Provence, is the perfect fin to the series. Her aesthetic is eclectic, while capturing that unique je ne sais quoi of Provence. She understands the potent cocktail of its romance,  nonchalant elegance, warmth and comfort which is so rarely replicated by Americans who look for the "nothing out of place" sterility that does not in any way reflect l'art de vivre in France.

In her blog biography she talks about evoking the magic of Provence and elegant simplicity. Below she shows and tells us how she translates those ideas in her holiday decorating.

In her own words. . .

I hope your December is full of all good things so far: the spicy scents of holiday makings, the warm glow of the fire, fingerless cashmere gloves so you can use your iPhone, a cup of hot chocolate after a brisk turn in the shops. . . 

I was going about, minding my own business on Tuesday when the brilliantly funny and acerbic Tish Jett [Ed. note: I am blushing, seriously, I am.] made me an irresistible proposition: Please do a post about decorating my humble abode for Christmas. In three days time! I hesitated about 30 seconds, then jumped right onto her bandwagon! I could not turn down one of my favorite bloggers [Awww].

I'm no Picasso, but I relate extremely well to what he once famously announced: "If you already know exactly what you are going to do, what is the point in doing it?" Precisely. 

That's pretty much what happened here!

I gave it my best. As you can see at the end of the post, Nicky was not too terribly interested in all the Christmas activity. . . once he discovered that, non, I will not let the puppy tear the organdy table cover to shreds!











Bay leaves as inspiration.

















Lavender cowhide over antique French linen for the dessert buffet -- tres chic, non?

















The dining room ready for Christmas night dinner -- a little early this year, bien sûr!
























We must leave room for the Thirteen Desserts of a Provençal Christmas Eve here

























Vintage bee-catching jar (you put honey water in the bottom) stands in for a vase for the oh-so-casual Christmas flowers.
























Ready for drinks under Chris's portrait of a tattoo-ist, and yes, those are pink peonies.
























The mantel with a simple dressing of bay-leafed, lighted swag, my three musical angels, and little candles -- so simple!

















A close up. . .




















The wreath is exactly as it was 12 years ago when my dear friend Cristen gave it to me, the door changes colors frequently, bien sûr!













Sleeping off all the excitement of tearing up every little thing in sight -- sweet Nicky at five months old.

 

17 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

What stunning ideas! I love the gossamer-wrapped bay leaves, truly inspired. Everything looks festive, yet light and airy.

Your puppy is adorable too.

That's Not My Age said...

Some gorgeous ideas - the Christmas makeover starts tomorrow!

*Chic Provence* said...

Tish, I too, blush! Thanks for the invitation to this wonderful celebration. I can see I'm in great company!

Joyeaux Noel!

Kit

Greet said...

My dearest Tish,
Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I feel honored!!!
And I am so pleased to have discovered your beautiful blog through Maryanne!!!!
Have a wonderful weekend Tish!
xx
Greet

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

Bravo Kit! Bravo Letitia! Such a soft, soothing, understated decor. Elegance without excess, warmth without bling. PERFECT! Joyeuses Fetes !

wendy said...

It looks incredibly beautiful- I am so inspired by your blog!! Thank you so much!

French Basketeer.com said...

Good morning~ found you through Kit; beautiful blog, and of course I love all of Kit's decor, especially the touches of lavender. Lovely, all!

Jean S said...

This speaks to me--simple yet elegant. Who said, "Elegance is the art of refusal"? That's it exactly.

Cathi said...

Kit's decorations are very lovely, indeed. The most precious of all is her little puppy - so cute! Happy Weekend to you, Tish! xxoo :)

Jennifer-Adventuresome Kitchen said...

simply beautiful and oh so elegant! Thanks for some great inspiration-I feel like I've captured the mood of Christmas this week!

James said...

Great week, thank you Tish.

little augury said...

Beautiful, and I love that lavender hide. I love that the wreath is always as always- I keep one from my parents front doors from the early 80's. pgt

BigLittleWolf said...

Just lovely. All of it. (Et le chien - adorable !)

Tricia Rose said...

I wish I had a lavender cowhide just waiting to be used so!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning beautiful Tish!

I love seeing this side of your mind and heart dearest and those mantels resemble mine! I AM HAVING A FUN CHRISTMAS here with my Ruben and we are also SNOWED IN TODAY!

Have a lovely day, Anita

Angie Muresan said...

That lavender hide is absolutely gorgeous! Here via, My French Country Home.

Karena said...

Tish the lavender and purple tones really do it up beautifully. I love this decor for the holidays!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...