Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Weekend In The Country




















On our way to the market today I saw several pheasant couples having brunch in the fields near our house. Per usual, I had the same reaction to them as I do to chic women on the streets of Paris: slam on the brakes; pull over to the side of the road; dump my huge tote on the back seat of the car; start tossing stuff until I find my camera; and jump out of the car in preparation for the grand photo op.

By this time, not a pheasant in sight. My wild animal skills need polishing. I regret this picture is not mine, but you get the idea. My-Reason-For-Living-In-France, oddly enough, never seems to get used to these exercises. When in Paris, he usually says something -- at high volume -- like, "One of these days someone is going to kill you." And variations on that general theme.

(Speaking of slamming on the brakes, the other day on our way home from Paris -- in the pouring rain -- my car started to slide on slippery, wet leaves. And, what did I do? Exactly what you're not supposed to do. I slammed on my brakes. The car literally spun around three times and finished its pirouette on a hunk of concrete. Fortunately there were no cars in the vicinity to join us on the turns and no damage to my car.) 

I'm telling you, life with me is a laugh-a-minute.

Do have a lovely weekend.

A demain.

16 comments:

Kathy said...

Wildlife photography is the toughest. Glad you're o.k.!

LPC said...

Just glad you are OK. The pheasants will be there tomorrow...

James said...

Please be careful, you are too important to us.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Oh my you had me from giggling about your 'wild life skills' to gasping about your car doing a pirouette. So glad you are o.k. but I'm sure it took a few days off your life just experiencing it all?! Life with you sounds like great fun, if not exciting!

Take care on your adventures my dear.

xx Deb

Deja Pseu said...

Oh my gosh, glad you are OK. That must have been terrifying!

I never have my camera with me when I spot animals that need to be photographed.

Francine Gardner said...

Be gentle on these brakes, especially on wet road, snow or ice!
So much for wildlife photography... it is an exercise in chance and patience (from a fellow amateur photographer)
Bon week end, Francine

Marsi said...

Tish, you terrify me.

Pheasants, you make my mouth water.

xoxoxo

materfamilias said...

Yikes! Glad you're alright. I'm quite sure my instincts would have me do exactly the same thing in a ski, despite knowing I'm not supposed to.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Eek...that's a scary scenario.
Glad to hear that you are not injured...
The pheasants are very beautiful I would love to see them firsthand.
now do take care and have a lovely weekend.

knitpurl said...

Gad Tish, and you grew up in the north??? C'mon kiddo get a grip, and pay attention to the comments above. You are too impt. to us all to damage yourself - or a vehicle.

(However, I will admit to laughing through your entire post, having also not found my camera when needed and defintely executed doughnuts on wet or snowy Midwest roads/streets.)xoxo, C.

knitpurl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

A week after I took my driving test (and passed) I was going down a sandy hill and started to slide. Lack of experience, I did the same thing and hit the brake but I turned right over and back on to my wheels again! Luckily I was fine, the car did not look so good though!! Since than I have done lots of work on skidpans and have learnt how to handle the situation. Diane

Dorky Medievalist said...

Oh dear. I have done similar maneuvers on my bicycle. Not pirouettes exactly, but general chaotic traffic moments. For some reason I am never so much concerned for my physical well-being as I am for my dignity. Both have been injured but neither beyond repair.

Do you know the children's book by Roald Dahl _Danny the Champion of the World_? It's my favourite book with pheasants in it.

BigLittleWolf said...

Thank goodness you are fine! (Shades of a past life in snow country.)

The pheasants are lovely, but the gray hair you just gave me? Not so much.

Be careful!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

TISH! YOU WERE SO FORTUNATE THAT NO ONE CAME BY TO HIT YOU! Oh you crack me up...your writing is superb. Do come visit me when you can! Anita

Spiral Style said...

Scary stuff. Wet leaves are treacherous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...