Monday, November 29, 2010

News, Views, This, That. . .

























Oh, happy day! It snowed through the night. When I threw open the curtains, the garden was sparkling white. Our almost 14-year-old dog started playing with the five-year-old, that's how ecstatic we are over here. All I need is a sled. 

My-Reason-For-Living-In-France said Pere Noel might bring me one.

Usually I tend to digress, now it seems I'm also regressing. But, no matter, some news from the front:

Animal Farm

















































At times I suspect I may be the last person in the world to discover something "new!" However, I also assume it's not possible that I could be alone. 

Consequently I must share my latest discovery, stuffed animals. No, no, wait, I wasn't a deprived child. Let me give you the background. Saturday night we had a small dinner party, and our friend Christine and her husband came laden with gifts. Absolutely incredible, a delicious candle, fabulous wine from their cellar, raspberry jam for My-Reason-For-Living-In-France (his favorite), and late in the evening, a teddy bear.

Let me make myself perfectly clear up-front, I am not one of those women who has stuffed animals on her bed. I may want a sled for Christmas but that does not mean I have completely reverted to childhood. 

BUT(!) and this is my discovery -- yours too, I hope -- my new teddy bear is not like any teddy bear I have ever owned, or seen, or heard of heretofore. My new teddy bear is in fact the equivalent of a hot water bottle. Yes, he is!

He is unbelievably soft, has absolutely no joints which is to say he can be manipulated in any form one would like and he is stuffed with lavender something-or-other. He smells dee-vine. 

As I said, a pseudo hot water bottle, once one is finished cuddling and smelling him, you pop him (or her) into the microwave for two to three minutes, remove and place wherever you are cold or have an ache or pain. Right now he's hanging around my neck. The heat is comforting, the lavender is soothing. Bliss.

Yes, of course, most people buy them for children, but what a waste of an ageless pleasure. 

(He is made by Intelex, a company in England.)

Pictured above are other members of his extended family.

Happy Feet

























Elle magazine said recently if one would like to change everything by simply adding one special item this season, it would be these masked Repettos. (Of course Elle says this every week about one thing or another, but this time I agree.)

Last Chance (Almost)
























Please remember to tell me, if you haven't already, if you would like to be in on the drawing for the giveaway of Betty Lou Phillips' gorgeous "French Impressions" book. 

 Bonne Chance!

29 comments:

Duchesse said...

A microwaveable bear! I predict great success. An odd question, how does he smell? (I have microwaveable heat packs filled with some sort of grain and they smell like a bowl of hot porridge.)

Tish Jett said...

He smells like lavender.

Belle de Ville said...

Oh please add my name to the drawing for the book!

Tabitha said...

Snow here too, oh I really hope it won't be snowy in Paris next week, I don't want to be tramping around looking like Sasquatch.

glenn swain said...

Please add my name for the book, too.
Glenn Swain

materfamilias said...

We've been dogless for a couple of years now, but I was always amazed by how much energy and sheer sprightliness our old girl could muster for a fresh snowfall, dashing around the yard and rolling in it like a young pup.

As for that cuddly menagerie, I think one for Nola, one for Nana might be the order of the day . . .

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love the teddy bear hot water bottle. I could certainly sleep better with him by my side. When I had TMJ, my doctor recommended a "bed buddy" which was similar but not nearly as adorable.

Please include me in that fabulous book giveaway.
Sam

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

there's something about snow that brings the puppy out in the dog !

That pink stuffy looks like Miss Piggy :)
and lavender no less!

James said...

Tish you are a goddess! I know what to get my wife, she'll love the bear. Of course I may have to add a bobble or two.

Marsi said...

Did Elle really gush like that about the mask Repettos,Tish? If so, thanks to you, I could not be more au courant! :)

Love,
M.

Lorrie said...

Snow awakens the playful side in me. I love it (in small doses), not for months on end. It certainly brightens the landscape. I'd love to visit Paris when it snows - tucked up in a beautiful hotel with windows overlooking the Seine - a girl can dream!
I'd love to be added to the drawing for the book.

Avril Leigh said...

Please add me in for the book draw and if you ever need to get rid of your bear put my name down for him too!

brigitte said...

I am a daily follower of your blog--love it. Have not commented before, but would love to be added to the drawing for the book. Hope it is not too late. Thanks

SewingLibrarian said...

Checking in after a week home with children and visiting maman. Love the bear, and I would like to be entered in the drawing for the book. Thanks!

Dorinda said...

Please enter me in the drawing for the gorgeous book, if it's not too late!

Rubiatonta said...

I'd love a hot, smelly bear! Wait, that didn't come out right...

But a microwaveable teddy would be a lovely thing indeed. I have to sleep "embracing" a pillow or I do unbelievably painful things to my wrists (yes, I'm complicated even when I'm asleep), and I think your option would be wonderful! How big is Mr. Teddy, by the way?

Andrea said...

Please include me in the drawing.

Fortunately for me, I already have a stuffed animal to keep me warm: a puppy, nicely stuffed with turkey after Thanksgiving, who is kind enough to put his 102.5-degree warmth against me. He does not smell quite like lavender, but more like the scent of my cosmetics and perfume, which he picks up when I kiss him.

knitpurl said...

Love those stuffed treasures. There has to be a version available here in the States. Does anyone know?

As I cough my way through this post, having acquired a malady from a 4 month old I'm related to, I could use the bear, the piggy or all of them. xoxoxo C.

knitpurl said...

Found these huggable creatures at TheCozyConnection.com which appears to be located just across the Lake from me. xoxo, C.

knitpurl said...

Sorry, the website is TheCozyCollection.com.
Can you tell cold meds don't agree with me? C.

Lily Lemontree said...

No snow here just yet but where can I get my hands on one of these bears??!! He sounds divine!
Please include my for the draw, what a fabulous book!!
Hope you have a super week, my friend!!

Linda said...

I'd love to have a bear -- but even better, a book beside my bed. Thanks for adding my name, too.

Tish Jett said...

You are all on the list for the drawing. Will announce next week.

My teddy bear measures about 13-and-a-half inches -- I stretched him waaaay out, but he let me do it.

Thank you, dear Carole, for the info. Do take good care of yourself. That's what happens to people who have grandchildren. . .

James, I can absolutely see my bear dripping in bijoux.

Andrea, it's lovely to meet you. Not only do you have the same name as my daughter, but you kiss your puppy. Right there, that's all I need to really, really like you.

Tabitha, forget about your heels. Look at it this way, which is more attractive boots or a leg cast?

Mater, I am still furious with myself I didn't take your picture when we met this summer. Next time. Plus, love this new picture of you.

A Refocused Life said...

I'd love to have another one of her books.

trace` said...

bonjour !
please add my name to the list of others for the book give - away. merci.
and yout blog is dee vine !
tracé

Dorky Medievalist said...

Oooh, I love those Repetto masked flats! Though I think I would be unable to resist dressing as Columbina when I wore them. Probably best to desist, if it's even possible to find them anymore.

As for a microwavable teddy? In theory, I like it; in practice, it seems psychologically damaging to cook a teddy (says the vegetarian in the room). I have a hot water bottle that fits into a hot water bottle shaped fuzzy sheep with a pink bow, which has gotten me through many a minor crisis (both boiler- and life-related).

cigalechanta said...

count me in-I'd love the book.
mimi

Anonymous said...

I’m wondering now if we can talk about your sites statistics – search volume, etc, I’m trying to sites I can buy adspace through – let me know if we can talk about pricing and whatnot. Cheers mate you’re doing a great job though.

Anonymous said...

Saya sudah dimaksudkan untuk posting tentang sesuatu seperti ini di halaman web saya dan anda memberi saya ide. Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...