Monday, November 8, 2010

News, Views, This, That. . .
























It's pouring rain; windy; the dogs don't want to go outside; when forced to do so, they come back soaked through and through, but still wait patiently at the door for the beach towel -- they're big dogs -- for their head to tail rub-down before entering.

Thought I would give you a weather report before the news, just like on television -- at least in France. The news is always bookended by the weather reports.

Now to today's news, with headlines for easy access.

Cute, Cheap, Charitable 















Ines de la Fressange has designed a black canvas bag decorated with a line drawing in her image. It is to be sold for seven Euros at the famous Paul boulangeries. Two Euros will be donated to Action Against Hunger. They will be available from December 1st.

Kinda Scarry (But Interesting, of course. . .)























I look at these "escarpins" by Alberto Guardiani (315 Euros) and all I can think is, "That lipstick thing is going to smooch all over or slide right back into its tube." 

Another scenario, one could slip and break her leg, or her neck, where's the whachamacallit that is supposed to go on the point of the heel?

She's Probably Right












































Jane Birkin, absolutely adored by the French, was quoted in "Figaro Madame" magazine in 1999 as saying:  "My mother told me the most difficult part about getting old, is [the fact] that heads no longer turn to look at you at a cocktail party."

Or on the street I might add.  But, if you are Jane Birkin, heads will always turn.

Her observation begs the question: Do we care?

Santa Baby

You see that a-dor-able charm at the top in gold and diamonds from Louis Vuitton. I know someone who would love it for her charm bracelet.  Are you listening? 

13 comments:

Je m'appelle Cynthia said...

I'd love that charm too.
Love the "Do we care?" question - answer, "Of course ... not."
(Kind of/sort of do/don't care.)
Hey, it's my personal opinion ...

The shoe heel - already looks wobbly. Funny in a Disney sort of way.

little augury said...

No not at all, if they ever turned I never noticed! Jane is right-she doesn't seem to care at all,confidence wins out every time pgt

Deja Pseu said...

I was never one who turned heads much in the first place, so I'm not really missing it. If anything, it gives me more freedom to dress as I like. I've noticed that the more fun I'm having, and confidence I'm feeling, the more attention is garnered.

The charm is adorable!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Those shoes are bizarre! I'd never buy them ever!

I have never been aware of turning heads...I am much too plain so I rather doubt I'd turn any now in my advancing years...but I am comfortable and much more confident now that I am mid 50's.

Rubiatonta said...

I used to turn heads when I lived in Paris and Madrid -- of course I was much younger.

But I've never really turned American heads. (As a blue-eyed blonde, maybe I'm not exotic enough in these parts.)

As to caring, I'm not sure. I don't feel the need to make as much of an entrance as I used to, but I'm not completely happy to be invisible, either.

A-Dubs said...

The Guardiani shoes are freaking me out. Why do they exist?

As for the turning heads, it is my humble opinion that women always look at women. This is an opinion that grows stronger as I head toward my forties, and as I participate in the fashion blogging world. I adore looking at women of all ages to see what they've got on. In fact, perhaps because I spend so much of my time on university campuses where young women are still struggling to develop their personal styles, I'm even more inclined to turn and watch (and admire) older women. It's much more fun to look at someone who's got herself together!

Duchesse said...

Funny, IMO Ines tote and the Vuitton charm both tacky. Jane Birkin possesses a clotish, casual chic and her line of cashmere sweaters for Lutz & Patmos did not need her image or an identifiable logo.

knitpurl said...

Loved the charm. Those shoes, are you kidding? They look like they involve a balancing act just to take a step. A dumb idea I think.

Sorry to read about the rain (it'll be around the globe and here Thursday), right now I think we can call it a November Indian summer here. xoxo, C.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

TISH! Entertaining and witty as usual! THose shoes, mon Dieu, what where they thinking? AND that charm dearest, oh how lovely and I hope Monsieur Tish is listening...and how blessed I was to read your comment on my little old blog...I would ever be so honored to be invited chez vous to chat and eat.....gosh you are awesome. Thank you for embracing us in dearest. Have a cozy evening with the Paris rain outside, tapping on your windows. Bises, Anita

Anonymous said...

I think probably most women are not accustomed to always turning heads, so I suppose your question is only for a select few ...

vicki archer said...

Always listening.....xv

Marsi said...

J'adore Ines!

J'adore these kinds a posts, too.

xoxo --
M.

SouthernProletariat said...

Heads may no longer turn, but ears will begin to listen...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...